Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Football Team With A Quarterback Problem VIII

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A Football Team With A Quarterback Problem VIII

I am so used to seeing Manual make SOME plays but miss plays...I was not prepared to see such a poor performance today from him. To make matters so much worse is the team played pretty well. I am not sure how good the Chargers are overall but Rivers is one of the best QBs in the league. He's the real deal and we had a chance to beat this team today with better QB play. I certainly have been clear that poor play from the QB position dooms the rest of the team. Today, that was realized.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,393 Times in 7,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: A Football Team With A Quarterback Problem VIII

EJ was terrible but the team did not play pretty well today. SD did what they wanted until they had a 20-3 lead. Then they just sat on it because they knew EJ couldn't lead us back.

3. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-21-2014),YardRat (09-21-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    I am so used to seeing Manual make SOME plays but miss plays...I was not prepared to see such a poor performance today from him. To make matters so much worse is the team played pretty well. I am not sure how good the Chargers are overall but Rivers is one of the best QBs in the league. He's the real deal and we had a chance to beat this team today with better QB play. I certainly have been clear that poor play from the QB position dooms the rest of the team. Today, that was realized.
    They need to make a change.
    With EJ under center playoffs are not happening this year (or maybe ever).
    With Orton at least you have a chance.

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I've never posted in one of these threads. I've seen the first VII and just kind of laughed.

I don't care if it's 1 game, I don't care if we're 2-1... that was a winnable game and there were numerous opportunities squandered solely by EJ. That wasn't Hackett, not Marrone, NO ONE. I look at the names Watkins, Williams, Woods, and their stat lines and it's just depressing. This team cannot win against playoff caliber teams with EJ at the helm. Sooooo many squandered opportunities today...
    Bye Bye Brady...

6. Post thanked by:

alohabillsfan (09-21-2014),coastal (09-21-2014),TacklingDummy (09-21-2014),WagonCircler (09-21-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    that was a winnable game and there were numerous opportunities squandered .
    EXACTLY. It's fashionable on the boards to call EJ a "game manager" or an "Alex Smith" type of QB.

I would KILL for an Alex Smith performance.

Hell, I'd kill for an Alex Van Pelt performance.

This was a Billy Joe Hobert performance.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    EJ was terrible but the team did not play pretty well today. SD did what they wanted until they had a 20-3 lead. Then they just sat on it because they knew EJ couldn't lead us back.
    Agree. Didn't like the defense and it was a mercy San Diego went turtle when they did. If Manuel plays better, Reich keeps taking Schwartz to school. Looked like a road game, besides Freddie, they didn't look like they had a home field advantage. That part is on Marrone. Bad use of timeouts first half is on Marrone, bad playcalls on Hackett, bad decisions and bad throws on Manuel, bad defense on Schwartz.

First two weeks told us they know not to use Manuel as a 300 yard a game gunslinger. This game is what happens when you fall behind without one.

I'll still measure them by what happens when they play New England.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    I don't buy it at all. Rivers got off to a big start but the defense toughened up in the second half after they went after him. They got stops. The Chargers have a lights out mistake free QB they are not sitting on any leads like you are saying. Maybe a four TD lead but not a 10 point lead. Get serious man they aren't going to sit around and give a team the chance to get back into it. They wanted the death punch and it was taken away from them giving us a chance.

On offense we had receivers open all day long and the throws were horrible. They played against our run game and wanted to force EJ to beat us...and he did not make any plays from the position. That was a winnable game against a good team ... and that tells me the team played pretty well.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad you have enjoyed the threads. Welcome aboard as a poster!

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    I've never posted in one of these threads. I've seen the first VII and just kind of laughed.

I don't care if it's 1 game, I don't care if we're 2-1... that was a winnable game and there were numerous opportunities squandered solely by EJ. That wasn't Hackett, not Marrone, NO ONE. I look at the names Watkins, Williams, Woods, and their stat lines and it's just depressing. This team cannot win against playoff caliber teams with EJ at the helm. Sooooo many squandered opportunities today...

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

EJ obviously played poorly today, and everything that he is criticized for by 'realists' and 'homers' alike manifested itself in full form. It wasn't all his fault, though...stupid penalties killed Buffalo drives, and extended San Diego's...the defense had no answer for the Charger's offense until it was 20-3, and made no big plays...I thought the offensive line, especially the interior, played horrendous.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

11. Post thanked by:

Novacane (09-21-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Chargers are going to make their plays and do some damage ... you can't get zero from the QB position and beat them. We got Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    EJ obviously played poorly today, and everything that he is criticized for by 'realists' and 'homers' alike manifested itself in full form. It wasn't all his fault, though...stupid penalties killed Buffalo drives, and extended San Diego's...the defense had no answer for the Charger's offense until it was 20-3, and made no big plays...I thought the offensive line, especially the interior, played horrendous.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't buy it at all. Rivers got off to a big start but the defense toughened up in the second half after they went after him. They got stops. The Chargers have a lights out mistake free QB they are not sitting on any leads like you are saying. Maybe a four TD lead but not a 10 point lead. Get serious man they aren't going to sit around and give a team the chance to get back into it. They wanted the death punch and it was taken away from them giving us a chance.

On offense we had receivers open all day long and the throws were horrible. They played against our run game and wanted to force EJ to beat us...and he did not make any plays from the position. That was a winnable game against a good team ... and that tells me the team played pretty well.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't agree the defense became all that. You covered it in your second paragraph. They scored enough where they knew Manuel couldn't bring them back and turtled. Defense looked better because Chargers went conservative. If they wanted the death punch they'd have taken it. Instead they just comfortably waited for the death safety.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

- - - Updated - - -

Did you watch the same game I did? It was hand off after hand off after hand off after they got the big lead puttig Rivers in 3rd and long every series. Kudos to the D for stopping it but if Reich had kept the pressure on they'd of scored more imo. Show's what Reich thinks of EJ.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Manual just said "I think my accuracy is fine" in the post game. Denial is not a river in Egypt. He's finished.

16. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (09-21-2014),WagonCircler (09-21-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Manual just said "I think my accuracy is fine" in the post game..
    "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

18. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-21-2014)

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,902 Times in 4,358 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Manual just said "I think my accuracy is fine" in the post game. Denial is not a river in Egypt. He's finished.
    "Say What?" ~Watkins and Goodwins ribs.

20. Post thanked by:

coastal (09-21-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So he's in denial. Ugh

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    "Say What?" ~Watkins and Goodwins ribs.
    And Fred Jackson's ankles.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well, I might have to give you that one, I was hoping he'd man up and say he wasn't good enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

San Diego went into cruise control after their drive to open the second half.

Donald Browns pathetic stat line of 31 carries for 62 yards says all you need to know about San Diego's second half offense.

25. Post thanked by:

Novacane (09-21-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Well, I might have to give you that one, I was hoping he'd man up and say he wasn't good enough.
    nobody is saying that. The mentality of the team is crippled from seeing the obvious...which also means there is no accountability.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

nobody is saying that. The mentality of the team is crippled from seeing the obvious...which also means there is no accountability.
    Unsure what you mean. I mean I wanted Manuel to man up and say he wasn't good enough this game to get them through it.