Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Not Complaining -- I Never Expected the Bills to be 2-1

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: I'm Not Complaining -- I Never Expected the Bills to be 2-1

I think the Bills were beat by the better team today. My biggest issue is that GOOD football teams find ways to win at home. This game just didn't even start right. I'm left hoping it was just a bad day all around, but there are only 16 games in this league and you shouldn't have bad days at home. It was never even close.

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,184 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not complaining yet, we're not a great team. We're a decent team, with a ton of potential. That's the frustrating thing, whether we ever reach our full potential, and I absolutely don't think we can with EJ.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

I don't see EJ getting much better at passing.

The D was a disappointment yesterday.
    Victory for the forces of Democratic freedom
    Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy
    Ummm, McCain hasn't been inocculated as prez yet. ~ honey
    If I were to rely on You! , WHICH THANK GOD I DON'T. i would be looking at moving into a railer hose! ~ Mr. honey

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    Whine if you want to but everyone would have been happy if the Bills were 2-1 after that dreadful pre-season.

We won an OT game to begin the season that could have gone either way.

We dominated the Dolphins in our Home Opener.
    I'm not so sure that it has anything to do with whining.

Here's the difference, I think that everyone's happy that we started 2-0, but to me it still doesn't alter my expectation that this is still no better than a 6-10 team and I'm not even (still) expecting those 6 wins. I'm still thinking 4 or 5. So the order in which those wins comes doesn't mean much to me. When we win our 8th game then I'll start being optimistic.

We're obviously not playing well and relying on things to win games that just don't occur on a regular basis.

The big difference between myself along with a handful of others that seem to think similarly (and really we're all the same poster) and everyone else here, is that we're not shocked at these games that we lose that are winnable. Many of you seem surprised.

I still expect us to go 3-10 in our remaining games with a game leeway either way. Miami was likely the most winnable game on the schedule. We're not going to do well on the road and haven't over the last bunch of seasons. We also aren't going to win more than one more game, two if we're really lucky, like we did against Chicago.

On paper Cleveland may be the weakest team, but has anyone looked at how they're playing? Hawkins and Austin alone have more receiving yards and TDs than our entire roster of WR's. Their RB's have combined for 345 rushing yards and 5 TDs against some very formidable rushing defenses and seem to be Fred Jackson types, lesser known unproven at higher level RBs. Spiller and Jackson have combined for 266 yards and no TDs. Hoyer is playing much better than Manuel.

So I'm not sure where our wins are coming from at this point. I've still got us sweeping the Fins, but after that I'm stumped. We'll squeeze another couple out, but other than maybe Minnesota and Oakland the rest of our opponents are better than we are. I view Oakland about the same. We cannot assume that we're going to beat every team that's equal to or worse than we are, we didn't last season and never do.

The two biggest acquisitions we made this season were Watkins and Spikes. Whaley promised us that Watkins would make an "immedate impact," which he hasn't. Spikes isn't even coming close to making the kind of impact that a lot of people here insisted he would. The team doesn't even let him play on passing downs, at least they've figured out that he's worthless there. He's on the field for less than half the defensive snaps.
    Last edited by Fletch; 09-22-2014 at 07:46 AM.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Pack look vulnerable. I see them improving more than we do before then.

The Raiders are a coin toss. Their D is not as bad as we thought they were. If they can establish a run game, they will beat us.
    Game's in Oakland, never a good sign. On top of that we won only two road games last season against Jax and Miami.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    After the preseason, I didn't have any hope for this team. They hit 2-0 and my expectations shot through the roof. Today brought me back to reality, and there is great talent on this team. The problem here is we have a great team with a quarterback that's holding them back. The run game, defense and special teams will put notches in the W column, but our QB and secondary will inevitably keep numbers going in to the L's.
    Where's the talent?

McKelvin sucks as a CB and has for years. Gilmore's not playing up to the expectations of him as a high draft pick. Graham's playing OK but we'll see inconsistency from him over the season.

Our linebackers aren't exactly an overly talented bunch. Good d-line, but still with limitations.

Offensively where's the talent? Spiller's nothing but a role player that can't be used on 3rd downs because he sucks on them. Jackson is the man but he's clearly not what he once was.

Watkins? Everyone blames Manuel, but where's this big shake and bake stuff that we've heard so much about? I'm not seeing it except last week against Miami. He's supposed to be able to catch a 4 yard pass and turn it into 10, 15, or 20 with ease.

What talent at TE do we have?

And Manuel, do we even need to go there.

Everyone talks about this being a talented team, and if you get on the field and compare them to yourself then sure, but against the rest of the league not so much.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The good news is that the only dominating team thus far in the AFC is the Bengals.

Patriots have improved their D but their offensive line is a mess.

The Ravens are under performing.

Indy is not impressive.

The Broncos look beatable.

Crap! The Chargers look better than most of the above.

We can't lose to the Texans next week though.

The Lions, Browns and Raiders will be tougher than predicted.
    The Broncos look beatable? To the Bills? lol What's in your coffee this morning? Manning is going to make quick work of our secondary, especially in Denver.

Belicheat has our number and won't be outcoached by Marrone. Brady shouldn't have too much difficulty with our secondary either. We've beaten the Pats once in the last 21 tries and it took nearly a 400 yard passing performance to do it. Anyone here confident that Manuel is capable of doing that against NE? If so I don't know why.

You're right about the Browns being a tougher game, the Raiders probably only because it's in Oakland where we historically don't play well. The Lions are just a better team and Stafford, Megatron, and Tate shouldn't have too much trouble against our secondary either.

So unless a team shows up with their QB playing like Cutler did in week one there's not a lot of hope to win those games. It may happen again, but we can't count on it as a rule.
    Last edited by Fletch; 09-22-2014 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    I don't look at the point spread when judging games. To me we're a better team than the Texans and we should beat them plain and simple.
    Why do you think we're a better team?

Foster and Blue are playing much better than our RBs are. Foster has almost as many yards as Spiller and FJ combined and he didn't even play yesterday.

Andre Johnson and Hopkins are better than our entire corp of WRs are.

Manuel is not playing as well as Fitzpatrick did here or there.

Debatable on their D, but as long as Watt is on the field that's not good news for Manuel with the game being in Houston. I love Henderson but Watt up against Henderson so soon concerns me.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,074 Times in 15,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Looking at the rest of the schedule, I think we:

Split with the Jets
    Beat the Vikes and Chiefs
    Beat Texans and Browns.

The fish will be out for blood.
    The Pack and Broncos could beat us with their second string.
    We haven't won in Oakland since 1965.
    Pats: Pencil in two losses.
    Lose to Jets at home.
    Lose to Lions on the road.

That puts us at 7-9...right where I figured we would be.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post

Split with the Jets
    Beat Texans and Browns.

Lose to Jets at home.

You like us beating the Chiefs because it's in Buffalo?

I don't think we're a better team and Charles may be better by then. I also think that the Texans and Browns are going to have no trouble scoring against us. Cleveland is playing better ball right now despite being 1-2. I don't see us being able to contain Andre Johnson or Hopkins for Houston. Everyone's counting on Fitzpatrick to throw us a bunch of INTs but I think that the chances are greater that Manuel does. He's outlasting his luck right now.

I don't think we'll have any trouble with the Fins in Miami in November, they have so many injuries and Moreno's may not even be back. Even if he is their passing game isn't good.

I'm more concerned about the Jets but they haven't swept us in years. Smith is playing no worse than Manuel and the Jets RBs shredded us last season.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    The Broncos look beatable? To the Bills?
    Not to the Bills.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not to the Bills.
    Thanks

Thought you went to the doc for new painkillers or something.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post

Split with the Jets
    Beat Texans and Browns.

Lose to Jets at home.

i agree that losing at home is a huge problem because most of our road games seem like 4-4 in best case scenario. so if the purpose to this season is to make the playoffs, you have to be 6-2 or better at home. SD wasn't a pencilled in winner for buffalo, but with the start they had and SD travelling, you were hoping that they could have put up a W.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    You like us beating the Chiefs because it's in Buffalo?

I don't think we're a better team and Charles may be better by then.
    There is no earthly reason for it, but the we have had the Chiefs number for years. When they win, it's a tight flukey mess, like last year where it took a defensive TD and a few years back when it took them 5 full quarters to score 13 points at home. OTOH when we beat them, it's a nightmare - even TRENT EDWARDS hung a 50burger on them.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    i agree that losing at home is a huge problem because most of our road games seem like 4-4 in best case scenario. so if the purpose to this season is to make the playoffs, you have to be 6-2 or better at home. SD wasn't a pencilled in winner for buffalo, but with the start they had and SD travelling, you were hoping that they could have put up a W.
    I would hope the purpose is to win in the playoffs.
    Last edited by sukie; 09-22-2014 at 10:51 AM.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm hoping for 4-4 at the bye. It will make the road trip up (with a swing by Erie to see McDavid and the Sabs on Saturday) to see the Chiefs game more enjoyable.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

this team was flat yesterday. we were capable of playing san diego soo much better. and yes, I was actually glad Gilmore was out for a bit...I want Gilmore gone. he's a damn liability. how did he ever get any hype his rookie season?
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Texans will be favoured against us next week.
    The Texans are currently favored by 3 points.

That's just because they have home-field advantage, which generally gives a team 3 points as they say. "They" are leading us to believe that these teams are exactly evenly matched, or something like that.

Personally, I like the Bills chances against the Texans.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    There is no earthly reason for it, but the we have had the Chiefs number for years. When they win, it's a tight flukey mess, like last year where it took a defensive TD and a few years back when it took them 5 full quarters to score 13 points at home. OTOH when we beat them, it's a nightmare - even TRENT EDWARDS hung a 50burger on them.
    Well we lost last year and we had a buttload of rushing yards and 470 net to their 210, Spiller had 145 yards from scrimmage, Jackson another 99 and we still lost.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    The Texans are currently favored by 3 points.

That's just because they have home-field advantage, which generally gives a team 3 points as they say. "They" are leading us to believe that these teams are exactly evenly matched, or something like that.

Personally, I like the Bills chances against the Texans.
    We'll see. Until proven differently this looks to be another quick start with two wins coming once against a terrible team and once under a handful of favorable circumstances that's about to turn into the usual 3-11 finish. We're not exactly beating teams the old fashioned way.