Thread: The Chargers started to break the Manuel's code

Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Chargers started to break the Manuel's code

Marrone in Monday's presser said EJ's problems on last Sunday were 1) stay calm when the 1st option is not there; 2) accuracy; 3) O-Line help. Looks like so much of EJ's comfort of game 1 and 2 came from the fact that his #1 option was available., allowing him to make quick decision and get on a rhythm. SD took away those top options. It was kind of confirmed by Watkins' interview that he got more jam, some double coverage. They also moved the safety up to squeeze the middle area where Watkins had so much success against Miami.

The overall concept I guess is forcing Manuel to his 2nd, 3rd etc. options where he may not be as tuned in as his top option. I suspect that contributed to his timing problems (Woods' pass a little too soon, Goodwin's a little too late, etc.). It could also lead to him getting sacked.

I bet Houston is right on cue and has the defensive personnel to do it, maybe even better than the Chargers. We'll see how EJ responds.

2. Post thanked by:

starrymessenger (09-23-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Chargers started to break the Manuel's code

It's not exactly the Da Vinci Code....get pressure, and he'll do a spin move into the arms of the defender for a huge loss. Or hang his receivers out to dry. I thought Goodwin was knocked out on that pass.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There is no code to break.

He has to get better. Plain and simple. The first read isn't always going to be there. The plays were there for EJ to make, he just either didn't see them or he miscued.

5. Post thanked by:

imbondz (09-23-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

- .... .-. --- .-- ...
    .... .. --. ....

and is

... .-.. --- .--
    - .... .
    ..- .--. - .- -.- .
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Marrone in Monday's presser said EJ's problems on last Sunday were 1) stay calm when the 1st option is not there; 2) accuracy; 3) O-Line help. Looks like so much of EJ's comfort of game 1 and 2 came from the fact that his #1 option was available., allowing him to make quick decision and get on a rhythm. SD took away those top options. It was kind of confirmed by Watkins' interview that he got more jam, some double coverage. They also moved the safety up to squeeze the middle area where Watkins had so much success against Miami.

The overall concept I guess is forcing Manuel to his 2nd, 3rd etc. options where he may not be as tuned in as his top option. I suspect that contributed to his timing problems (Woods' pass a little too soon, Goodwin's a little too late, etc.). It could also lead to him getting sacked.

I bet Houston is right on cue and has the defensive personnel to do it, maybe even better than the Chargers. We'll see how EJ responds.
    This shouldn't surprise anyone, this happens with every team every season.

The same thing was a regular occurrence at FSU with him except that he didn't have to go to his secondary options as often as he does and will in the NFL. The talent on FSU contrasted with the rest of the ACC while he was there was sick.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not always - Gailey has a lot of plays without a primary option, like his bunch formation routes are designed to causing moments of confusion to covering guys and Fitz was a perfect QB to throw to that open guy on time for that kind of plays. Hackett's bunch formation is more for given guys like Watkins/Goodwin free release.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Let's see how he responds to the game. There were things on film that will be pointed out and hopefully he will learn from. The thing I like about him is he generally does not repeat mistakes. That being said he needs to do a better job of moving off his primary. Te 4th down play was big case for this he forced to Sammy and mike Williams was wide open.

Let's also face the fact that e has played in 13 nfl games and has a lot more to grow and learn from. Let's hope he has a solid game against the texans the next two games after that. That would be progress to string together more decent good performances and not have consecutive bad ones