Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new strategy in the search for a franchise QB

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Time for a new strategy in the search for a franchise QB

You need a QB who can make plays and put points up to win in this league.

We haven't had a franchise QB in 15 years. That's a long time. Why not try something new and increase our odds of landing one?

2015 is a deep QB draft class. If/When EJ fails this year, we should draft a QB in the 2nd, 3rd, and possibly the 4th round in the upcoming draft. The rest of our team is more than adequate but the QB holds us back.

I understand the logistics of practicing and splitting reps would be challenging, but at the end of the day you should be able to identify a starter.

I would sacrifice three picks to try and end this eternal QB drought, because we have wasted a lot more than that over the last 15 years and we still don't have one. The old way hasn't worked for us, so let's try something new in this new passing NFL.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Time for a new strategy in the search for a franchise QB

Washington is 14-21 since doing some of that. 2015 class looks a lot like the 2013 one to me.

3. Post thanked by:

Novacane (09-24-2014),swiper (09-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,528 Times in 17,421 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thank the football gods you have zero access to the front office. Getting a 'franchise' QB is like hitting the lottery, and even those can't win a title without defense (see:Peyton Manning and Tom Brady).

Give me a guy who is capable, and can hit a big play or two at the right times, and surround him with a solid defense and offensive line and the chances of winning go up a lot more.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

5. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (09-26-2014),GvilleBills (09-24-2014),Jan Reimers (09-24-2014),Night Train (09-25-2014),pmoon6 (09-24-2014)

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Wagon Circler View Post
    We haven't had a franchise QB in 15 years.
    Not as long as the 25 years it took to get one. Be patient.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

7. Post thanked by:

imbondz (09-24-2014),TacklingDummy (09-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You need a QB who can make plays and put points up to win in this league.

We haven't had a franchise QB in 15 years. That's a long time. Why not try something new and increase our odds of landing one?

2015 is a deep QB draft class. If/When EJ fails this year, we should draft a QB in the 2nd, 3rd, and possibly the 4th round in the upcoming draft. The rest of our team is more than adequate but the QB holds us back.

I understand the logistics of practicing and splitting reps would be challenging, but at the end of the day you should be able to identify a starter.

I would sacrifice three picks to try and end this eternal QB drought, because we have wasted a lot more than that over the last 15 years and we still don't have one. The old way hasn't worked for us, so let's try something new in this new passing NFL.
    3 picks? Yeah sorry no NFL is that foolish The first word in the term franchise QB is franchise. To me this team is as close at having the team that a QB could complete them but still feel we lack quality OGs and a starting TE. I say keep EJ in there until we can't win with him on a regular basis and to me winning 6 of 13 games is better than winning 6 of 16 we saw under the previous regimes. If we finish with a losing season under EJ I don't mind looking at a QB to develop behind EJ but it doesn't mean he's a replacement just a development guy. Kevin Hogan is a name to hold I mean let's face it when Cousins and Foles were drafted I doubt the Redskins and/or Eagles could truly say they thought they'd be the QBs leading there teams this year. Hell when Wilson was drafted the Seahawks spent big money Matt Flynn and made a big trade to acquire Charlie Whitehurst.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills could try and sign Robert Griffin III when he is cut after the season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If it does indeed need to come down to a search:

1) Evaluate and re-sign all necessary Bills FAs to eliminate harsh turnover in other positions
    2) Draft a QB in every round
    3) Hold a massive 3 week QB camp (separate to all other camps)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Washington is 14-21 since doing some of that. 2015 class looks a lot like the 2013 one to me.
    They are finally going with the best QB on their roster and I expect that record to improve.

We won't have a problem identifying and starting the best player because none of the guys will be the de facto starter based on being a high profile first round pick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Thank the football gods you have zero access to the front office. Getting a 'franchise' QB is like hitting the lottery, and even those can't win a title without defense (see:Peyton Manning and Tom Brady).

Give me a guy who is capable, and can hit a big play or two at the right times, and surround him with a solid defense and offensive line and the chances of winning go up a lot more.
    It sounds simple enough, but we haven't done it in 15 years.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They are finally going with the best QB on their roster and I expect that record to improve.

We won't have a problem identifying and starting the best player because none of the guys will be the de facto starter based on being a high profile first round pick.
    You can expect it sure, but I guess I really don't think they're going 12-4 to get them over a .500 track record for 3 years after doing it. If they don't you're looking at 3 years of losing records after their awesomeness in pulling the trigger on 2 qb's, one a marquee guy. I'll pass.

We're already pretty good at racking up losing records without blowing 3 more years thankyouverymuch.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    You can expect it sure, but I guess I really don't think they're going 12-4 to get them over a .500 track record for 3 years after doing it. If they don't you're looking at 3 years of losing records after their awesomeness in pulling the trigger on 2 qb's, one a marquee guy. I'll pass.

We're already pretty good at racking up losing records without blowing 3 more years thankyouverymuch.
    Washington doesn't have as good of a team as we do now and they haven't for the last three years. Also, they were forced to start RG3 because of his price tag, not because he was the best for the team. The bills won't have that same burden since we pick in the second and didn't trade the farm.

Blowing 3 years, I mean you can almost chalk that up already based on what we have done over this drought. QB's selected in the 2nd-4th have proven over and over again in the recent future that they can come in and lead their team to the playoffs. Let's maximize our chance to find one of those guys.

15. Post thanked by:

better days (09-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Drafting a QB in the 2nd third an fourth seems a bit overkill to me. But I am all for the Seatlle way. get as many QBs as possible and one will work out. Sign an old FA, that can at least start at the beginning, if required and then teaches the others, trade for an promising backup and draft an QB early. Rinse repeat every year (except the old FA signing) until you are successful. They hit already in the first year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have zero faith in this organization's ability to develop a QB they drafted. They'd be better off finding one in free agency.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In his defense, he is just expressing frustration with OBD's inability to get a post-Jim Kelly QB. It's not exactly like hitting the lottery. Again: Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins will ALL turn out to be franchise QBs and were all taken between Buddy Nix drafting TJ Graham and Nigel Bradham in the 2012 draft. So it's no lottery. It needs a competent GM. Which OBD has not had for many years. It takes planning and positioning by said competent GM. It CAN be done.

19. Post thanked by:

Buffalogic (09-24-2014),Fletch (09-24-2014),starrymessenger (09-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    I have zero faith in this organization's ability to develop a QB they drafted. They'd be better off finding one in free agency.
    How long do you give an organization to 'develop a quarterback'?

Why don't we go through the histories of all of the NFL teams and see how many have drafted and developed 'franchise' QB's? I'll start you out with two easy ones...Denver and Kansas City...zero. Just look within our own division...The Jets? One, forty years ago. Miami? One, unless you count Griese, which is laughable. New England? Two? Bledsoe and Brady...unless again you want to count Grogan, and if so than you have to count Ferguson for Buffalo. Buffalo? Kelly, and maybe Fergie depending on your bar.

Getting a franchise quarterback is like catching lightning in a bottle, and drafting three in one season just means you're three times more likely to fail while the odds of snagging one don't go up.

21. Post thanked by:

Yasgur's Farm (09-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would like to see the Bills draft one QB in the next draft.

The QB they think has the best potential.

23. Post thanked by:

Novacane (09-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    In his defense, he is just expressing frustration with OBD's inability to get a post-Jim Kelly QB. It's not exactly like hitting the lottery. Again: Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins will ALL turn out to be franchise QBs and were all taken between Buddy Nix drafting TJ Graham and Nigel Bradham in the 2012 draft. So it's no lottery. It needs a competent GM. Which OBD has not had for many years. It takes planning and positioning by said competent GM. It CAN be done.
    I'll refer you to my previous comment...Why don't we go through the histories of all of the NFL teams and see how many have drafted and developed 'franchise' QB's?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Status of QB class changes as we go through combine, etc. For me personlly, I'd wait until closer to draft to determine if deep or not

With no first, the bills need to stock up some more in other areas. I think QB will be a need, but just one pick this yr should go to QB. If we had a pick in each rd and may an extra in a round, I'd consider two QB picks, but not three

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'll refer you to my previous comment...Why don't we go through the histories of all of the NFL teams and see how many have drafted and developed 'franchise' QB's?
    Why don't you do that?

Post the results when you're finished. Should be interesting.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    Problem with that is that so few good ones end up in free agency.