Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to expect from Kyle Orten

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: What to expect from Kyle Orten

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post
    Orten is 35-35 career, there's zero reason to believe he won't go 6-6 the rest of the way, and we finish 8-8.
    Sounds reasonable, I just hope the Bills can steal a game or two with Defense & Special teams.

9-7 or 10-6

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, through 4 games, no team has lit up the scoreboard against the Bills.

I think Detroit gets a long TD or two but that is it. And Schwartz should know how to defend against that team better than anyone.
    We'll see. If you ask me Houston did a pretty good job of lighting us up considering who was throwing the ball. Miami lit us up in the 2nd half of that game. Rivers played very well and very effectively in a hostile environment taking a trip east that he doesn't always play well in, especially considering that Matthews was out and he had a below average running game to support him.

This is Stafford and it's in Detroit. The last time that we played Detroit they had Shaun Hill throwing and Megatron was the only decent player on that offense and he put up 128 yards and a TD. Stafford's throwing now, they have Tate, and I can see Ebron having a good game against us.

The same advantage you give Schwartz can also be given to Detroit and Caldwell.

Detroit is 2-0 at home, is averaging 27 points on offense and 10.5 on D at home.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

3. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    We'll see. If you ask me Houston did a pretty good job of lighting us up considering who was throwing the ball. Miami lit us up in the 2nd half of that game. Rivers played very well and very effectively in a hostile environment taking a trip east that he doesn't always play well in, especially considering that Matthews was out and he had a below average running game to support him.

This is Stafford and it's in Detroit. The last time that we played Detroit they had Shaun Hill throwing and Megatron was the only decent player on that offense and he put up 128 yards and a TD. Stafford's throwing now, they have Tate, and I can see Ebron having a good game against us.

Detroit is 2-0 at home, is averaging 27 points on offense and 10.5 on D at home.
    Explain why Caldwell has the same advantage as Schwartz does in this game.

I did not realize Caldwell was the HC of the Bills for a number of years.

I agree in Detroit especially, it will be a tough game for the Bills to win but I think Schwartz will make a big difference in this game......preseason is over.

5. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I hope Orton and our "O" is productive enough to keep their "O" off of the field.

7. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Good point, I hope Chippewa Street has fully stocked their Jack Daniels bottles.
    He'll bring his own.

9. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (10-02-2014),RedEyE (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I expect a healthy dose of good and bad from Orton, providing us with well balanced mediocre qb play. Good enough to keep us competitive and average.

I do believe he has better weapons than he ever had in Denver, but he also hasn't had much time with the team.

11. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I expect him to be a nine Orten. Nothing less.

13. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (09-30-2014),ServoBillieves (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I expect Orton to at least be as efficient as EJ was in the 1st 2 games this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi View Post
    I expect him to be a nine Orten. Nothing less.
    ha!

15. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (09-30-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RedEyE View Post
    Hahahahaha! I think that's the biggest reason I like him. He's like the John Kruk of the NFL.
    He has testicular cancer?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

17. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (09-30-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, through 4 games, no team has lit up the scoreboard against the Bills.
    That's true, but because of their record, they don't get a tough schedule.

19. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Interesting information:

Orton's most recent regular season start came last season with the Cowboys last game of the season against the Eagles. Romo was injured.

The good: He threw 30 completions on 46 attempts for 358 yards and 2TDs. 65% completion percentage. I challenge someone to name the last Bills QB that has thrown over 300 yards for the Bills.

The bad: He also threw 2 interceptions. The last interception was on the final drive as the Cowboys needed just a FG to win the game. The Cowboys lost 22-24

Now I don't think the Bills will be asking Orton to sling the ball 300 yards a game. Obviously just the increase in completions can improve the passing game at this point. But there will be at least one occasion this season when it will be necessary. When the defernse is struggling and they find themselves down by multiple scores. At this stage of his career, Manuel can't deliver the completions and inevitably the necessary yardage.
    Last edited by RedEyE; 09-30-2014 at 03:30 PM.

21. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    That's true, but because of their record, they don't get a tough schedule.
    So, Chicago at home, & San Diego are not TOUGH?

I call BS on that.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Absolutely. And thats another thing, Orten doesn't guarantee wins. Orten could play 2very good games and the Bills could still be 2-4 after the Patriots game.

What does that do for EJs real time game experience?
    Who cares? He ****ing stinks at this point in his career. He needs a break if he has any chance of succeeding in the NFL.

24. Post thanked by:

Fletch (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Who cares? If a QB has any chance of success in this league he needs real time football. There is only so much you can learn by watching football game. Not to mention the millions they spent on this kid. And you should care because the Bills do not have a first round pick next season. Orton is not a long term answer. We all need EJ to succeed.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd expect a rocky start, some sacks, hopefully not injuring him. But I'm expecting more competent.

Everything I've read and seen, says he has some touch, some smarts, some arm, less mobile, faster release, more savvy. He's not Peyton Manning, isn't EJ Manuel either. He knows west coast concepts, is not spectacular, gets a job done. He has thrown 11 times for over 300 yards, he's capable of it. It's said he's learned to trust his receivers to make plays, and knows how to throw where they won't get crushed. Was reading all this last night, saved none of the links.

Biggest knock on him is always that he has no more upside. I don't think we're looking for upside here. We're looking for average. If he can manage that, and just a little bit more once in a while, this city will go crazy over him.

Sullivan from the news insists on comparing him to Fitz, I don't see it whatever. Fitz had no arm and declined, Orton has shown signs of learning and becoming marginally better from his first couple years in the league.

Orton will take the heat at pressers, as he says he's been through it all before and faced up to Tebow level media scrutiny. He's only 31, Josh McCown for example is 35.

Long term answer no. Short term, might be just what the doctor ordered after a couple of rough starts to get used to it.

27. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (09-30-2014),Meathead (10-02-2014),RedEyE (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Good points but I think that a lot of the pressure comes off the defense once the Bills offense is able to sustain longer drives and put up more points. The 3 and outs are killing this defense. There are only so many punches one can sustain. You'll never win if you don't punch back .

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Explain why Caldwell has the same advantage as Schwartz does in this game.
    A leap of an assumption I guess. I was thinking/assuming that Detroit still has some people there with info on Schwartz's ideologies.

You're right, not a great assumption.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I expect a healthy dose of good and bad from Orton, providing us with well balanced mediocre qb play. Good enough to keep us competitive and average.

I do believe he has better weapons than he ever had in Denver, but he also hasn't had much time with the team.
    I'm thinking that games will be more entertaining with more regular deep throws, assuming that Orton's arm is still what it is. It should be, he's not even 32 yet and hasn't used it a lot. I guess the fact that he hasn't used it a lot can work against him too though.

I don't think that the outcomes will change all that much, maybe another win or two.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
    Who cares? He ****ing stinks at this point in his career. He needs a break if he has any chance of succeeding in the NFL.
    It's interesting because now everyone seems to be finding all those knowledgeable with his play at FSU talking about how he never had much of a chance. All this info was our prior to the draft.

Who cares? If a QB has any chance of success in this league he needs real time football. There is only so much you can learn by watching football game. Not to mention the millions they spent on this kid. And you should care because the Bills do not have a first round pick next season. Orton is not a long term answer. We all need EJ to succeed.
    Then we're screwed. Time to move on already. Why waste three four or five more seasons trying to develop this project.

Get Pegula approved as owner, change the Front Office, bit the bullet without a 1st this year, see how Orton plays and get a good free agent, draft a QB in round 2 if we have a high pick, one that won't bind us into keeping him in there if he sucks, and begin the QB rebuild in the 2016 draft if necessary.

First fumigate the place over at OBD. Let's not only let that past go but let's cut it out like the cancer that it's been.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A leap of an assumption I guess. I was thinking/assuming that Detroit still has some people there with info on Schwartz's ideologies.

You're right, not a great assumption.
    I think the real advantage Schwartz has is that he knows every player on that team except for the rookies.

He knows their strengths & weaknesses. He knows which players have mental fortitude & which will collapse like a wet burrito when faced with adversity.