Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to expect from Kyle Orten

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What to expect from Kyle Orten

I think several of us understand that Orten is not a long term answer and some of us are even skeptical of his abilities short term. What we all hope for is that he can provide better consistency in the passing game. Hopefully just increasing the completion percentage putting this team in a better situation to win football games.

But here is what I think we should realistically expect from Orten on the field:

More downfield completions
    EJ equivalent field management
    More audibles ( given more reps and game time)
    More interceptions because I expect Orten to be less conservative in his delivery
    More sacks. He's less elusive than EJ. The pocket is going to fold at times. We need the running game to be successful in order to better assist/alleviate the pass block.

*And with more sacks surely opens up more opportunity for injury. Orten is no spring chicken and despite the recent promotion, if injured, we could very easily and prematurely see EJ back on the field.

I'd like to read your thoughts, additions or comments..

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-30-2014),THATHURMANATOR (09-29-2014)

SpikedLemonade

Re: What to expect from Kyle Orten

The Lions and Patriots both have very good DLs and we have 2 rookies on our below average OL.

Orton will need to pull the trigger quickly.

4. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (09-29-2014),THATHURMANATOR (09-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    The Lions and Patriots both have very good DLs and we have 2 rookies on our below average OL.

Orton will need to pull the trigger quickly.
    Absolutely. And thats another thing, Orten doesn't guarantee wins. Orten could play 2very good games and the Bills could still be 2-4 after the Patriots game.

What does that do for EJs real time game experience?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RedEyE View Post
    I think several of us understand that Orten is not a long term answer and some of us are even skeptical of his abilities short term. What we all hope for is that he can provide better consistency in the passing game. Hopefully just increasing the completion percentage putting this team in a better situation to win football games.

But here is what I think we should realistically expect from Orten on the field:

More downfield completions
    EJ equivalent field management
    More audibles ( given more reps and game time)
    More interceptions because I expect Orten to be less conservative in his delivery
    More sacks. He's less elusive than EJ. The pocket is going to fold at times. We need the running game to be successful in order to better assist/alleviate the pass block.

*And with more sacks surely opens up more opportunity for injury. Orten is no spring chicken and despite the recent promotion, if injured, we could very easily and prematurely see EJ back on the field.

I'd like to read your thoughts, additions or comments..
    I doubt it on the injury front--the way the qb is protected these days, injuries to QBs are often discussed (and even hoped for) but rarely happen, unless the quarterback leaves the pocket often, ala Newton, RG3, Vick. You can't hit em low, and you certainly can't hit em high, so you'll see defenders really just bear hug them and almost sit them on the field. I can't even recall the last "vicious" sack I saw on a qb. Hell, Manning is one bad hit away from being paralyzed, and is older than Orton, and he sits in the pocket all day.

As for the oline protection, youll see different defensive schemes if Orton can find the open man. Teams are stacking the line, bringing the heat, and daring EJ to not just beat them, but to complete passes longer than 10 yards. He couldn't, and now he's on the bench. All it will take is one 50 yard connection to either Goodwin or Woods, and you will see far less blitzing of Orton.

Which is going to open the middle of the field for CJ and Fredex to wreak havoc, and lead the league in team rushing, likely by a mile.

Which will then allow Orton to (after 5-6 weeks, like you said) audible at the line, depending on what he sees. I expect less 3&1 runs out of a shotgun formation. I know "hackett sucks," but no one sucks that bad, unless their name rhymes with EJ Manuel.

Lastly, I expect much more enjoyable Sundays, as a veteran, halfway decent (lifetime record above .500, first Bills qb in a LONG time to boast that stat) QB wins us the field position battle. I expect him to make smart throws to get us to the opponents 40, and then I expect him to take shots down the field and over the middle to guys like Williams and Woods. A qb needs to be willing to take those risks when a turnover results in a field position for the opponent that is no more advantageous than if we had punted. Let me put it this way: Orton will throw more picks, for sure, but the Bills will punt less from inside our own 30, if that makes sense.

Oh, and I expect the Bills to go 9-7 or 10-6, and win the division. I also expect us to sweep new england, sweep the jets, and split with Miami.

And most importantly? I expect it to be a fun season following the Bills for the first time in a decade. So, there's that.

Thank you Marrone for doing this when we're 2-2, not 2-6!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by JohnnyGold; 09-29-2014 at 04:35 PM.

7. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-29-2014),jlgarsh (09-29-2014),RedEyE (09-29-2014),The last buffalo fan (09-29-2014)

SpikedLemonade

Absolutely. And thats another thing, Orten doesn't guarantee wins. Orten could play 2very good games and the Bills could still be 2-4 after the Patriots game.

What does that do for EJs real time game experience?
    Perhaps that is Marrone's game plan.

He saw 2 losses coming up and thought it would be a good time to remove the pressure on EJ to perform.

I would think this is at least a 4 game trial for Orton until the bye.

@ Lions

Pats

Vikings

@ Jets

Bye

If the Bills win 2 or more of the 4, Orton continues after the bye week.

If the Bills only win 1 or less of the 4, EJ starts again the week after the bye for the rest of the season.

9. Post thanked by:

Meathead (09-30-2014),RedEyE (09-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,392 Times in 7,275 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I expect pretty much what you expect except the sacks will stay the same. Some of EJ's sacks were him waiting to long to make a decision. Any extra sacks due to lack of mobility should be offset by getting rid of the ball sooner

11. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (09-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not exactly a fan of this move, but I will 100% support Orton like I supported EJ.

Simply put all I'm expecting from Orton is better accuracy. Also with him being a veteran player with alot of experience. I expect him to manage the game, and never be the main reason why we lose. Basically just give us a chance to win, and not throw the game away

Go Bills!!
    Last edited by CoolBreeze; 09-29-2014 at 04:45 PM.

13. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (09-29-2014),RedEyE (09-29-2014),The last buffalo fan (09-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I expect Kyle Orton to do what EJ was supposed to do, only do it better...and that's protect the ball, take what they give you, and manage the game. First and foremost. The team could win with that.

Detroit has a top-five defense one-quarter of the way through the season this year right now in the categories that matter. They're actually ranked #1 overall statistically, if you want to get into that type of thing.

We have a better chance with Orton.

I'm shocked that the Bills made this move, and it gives me more hope that they have an inkling of what they are doing, personally.
    Last edited by feldspar; 09-29-2014 at 04:49 PM.

15. Post thanked by:

better days (09-29-2014),GvilleBills (09-29-2014),Mr. Cynical (09-30-2014),RedEyE (09-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

All I want Orton to do is hit the open receiver and let those talented receivers run after catch.

17. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-29-2014),Meathead (09-30-2014),Night Train (09-30-2014),RedEyE (09-29-2014)

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Orton*

He will manage the game, he will not make the mistakes that a young quarterback makes. Will he be lights out? No. Will he set records or scare defenses? No, but we don't need that. We need a quarterback who can hit players in the hands so that they can make plays, and someone who can guide the team in the right direction. EJ could not do that, and the FO made the right move if they want to win now.
    Bye Bye Brady...

19. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-30-2014),RedEyE (09-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGold View Post
    I doubt it on the injury front--the way the qb is protected these days, injuries to QBs are often discussed (and even hoped for) but rarely happen, unless the quarterback leaves the pocket often, ala Newton, RG3, Vick. You can't hit em low, and you certainly can't hit em high, so you'll see defenders really just bear hug them and almost sit them on the field. I can't even recall the last "vicious" sack I saw on a qb. Hell, Manning is one bad hit away from being paralyzed, and is older than Orton, and he sits in the pocket all day.

As for the oline protection, youll see different defensive schemes if Orton can find the open man. Teams are stacking the line, bringing the heat, and daring EJ to not just beat them, but to complete passes longer than 10 yards. He couldn't, and now he's on the bench. All it will take is one 50 yard connection to either Goodwin or Woods, and you will see far less blitzing of Orton.

Which is going to open the middle of the field for CJ and Fredex to wreak havoc, and lead the league in team rushing, likely by a mile.

Which will then allow Orton to (after 5-6 weeks, like you said) audible at the line, depending on what he sees. I expect less 3&1 runs out of a shotgun formation. I know "hackett sucks," but no one sucks that bad, unless their name rhymes with EJ Manuel.

Lastly, I expect much more enjoyable Sundays, as a veteran, halfway decent (lifetime record above .500, first Bills qb in a LONG time to boast that stat) QB wins us the field position battle. I expect him to make smart throws to get us to the opponents 40, and then I expect him to take shots down the field and over the middle to guys like Williams and Woods. A qb needs to be willing to take those risks when a turnover results in a field position for the opponent that is no more advantageous than if we had punted. Let me put it this way: Orton will throw more picks, for sure, but the Bills will punt less from inside our own 30, if that makes sense.

Oh, and I expect the Bills to go 9-7 or 10-6, and win the division. I also expect us to sweep new england, sweep the jets, and split with Miami.

And most importantly? I expect it to be a fun season following the Bills for the first time in a decade. So, there's that.

Thank you Marrone for doing this when we're 2-2, not 2-6!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Did you watch the Texans game?

Watt hit EJ LOW at least 3 times. I could absolutely see Orton getting injured.

Hopefully EJ learns something before he has to start again.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think Marrone realizes Orton isn't going to light it up. He's only hoping to get slightly better production out of the QB position to increase their chances if winning. The Houston game is the perfect example... If Orton were in yesterday's game and played only marginally better, I think the Bills would have come out of Houston with a win. Just a few more completions and the Bills would have won that.

22. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-29-2014),RedEyE (09-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Did you watch the Texans game?

Watt hit EJ LOW at least 3 times. I could absolutely see Orton getting injured.

Hopefully EJ learns something before he has to start again.
    Woods was talking about that on WGR today. He was not happy about it. Didn't have too many nice things to say about Watt. Personally I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's juicing.

24. Post thanked by:

better days (09-29-2014),YardRat (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Woods was talking about that on WGR today. He was not happy about it. Didn't have too many nice things to say about Watt. Personally I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's juicing.
    I will have to listen to that on demand.

Do you remember what show Woods was on?

26. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (09-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,454 Times in 14,166 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I expect a **** show.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

28. Post thanked by:

Ed (09-30-2014),RedEyE (09-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wood (not Woods) comes on at 4pm every Monday on WGR, so about an hour in to the show:

http://media.wgr550.com/

Side note....anyone just hear John Murphy say, "That's bull$*it," on the radio about 2 minutes ago!

30. Post thanked by:

better days (09-29-2014),RedEyE (09-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 597 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hopefully we get rid of that ineffective read option
    You can call me streetkings

32. Post thanked by:

Fletch (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Whatever the names of the guys thare on between 3-7. Dill and Hole? lol honestly can't remember right now.

If you can stream it, definitely do so. They basically had Wood scheduled to interview and right hgefore he comes on the news about EJ broke. Wood tentatively approached the subject but his comments concerning EJ from a locker room perspective are interesting to hear. And then of course the JJ Watt thing. Wood didn't get loud but you could tell he was quietly heated over the subject.
    Last edited by RedEyE; 09-29-2014 at 06:20 PM.

34. Post thanked by:

better days (09-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    Wood (not Woods) comes on at 4pm every Monday on WGR, so about an hour in to the show:

http://media.wgr550.com/

Side note....anyone just hear John Murphy say, "That's bull$*it," on the radio about 2 minutes ago!
    That's right. No S for the Center. Thanks for the correction.

36. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What to expect from Kyle Orton, not Orten?

I expect Orton to be able to complete passes to wide open wide receivers instead of throwing the ball 10 feet over their heads.

I expect Orton to be able to complete passes to somebody other than his first read.

I expect Orton to be able to pass the ball to a wide open CJ Spiller in the flat with the whole freaking field in front of him on the right side.

I expect Orton to be creaming his pants if he was a chick after watching game film for the past 4 weeks.

Imagine what Orton is thinking?

"All I have to do is pass to Sammy Watkins and find a ton of other wide open receivers? That's it? Holy crap, I'm going to be a freaking superstar in Buffalo."

38. Post thanked by:

Fletch (09-30-2014),Mr. Cynical (09-30-2014),RedEyE (09-29-2014),SeatownBillsFan21 (09-30-2014),ServoBillieves (09-30-2014)