Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marrone didnt ask permission to bench EJ...i like it

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Marrone didnt ask permission to bench EJ...i like it

"As a head coach you have to evaluate everything and, at the end of the day, you've got to make the right decisions with your mind, with your heart and things like that," he said. "The one thing is that when you go to bed at night you have to make sure that you're making the best decisions to help our football team win."

Marrone didn't seem Monday like a coach who agonized over this decision. There was almost a sense a relief, as if he could move on from the first 20 games of his tenure in Buffalo -- a period defined mostly by shoddy quarterback play.

The decision, the Bills say, was made entirely by Marrone, who delivered the news Monday afternoon to general manager Doug Whaley.

"I didn't ask for an agreement," Marrone explained. "I just went in there and said, 'This is the direction that I'm going.'"

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bill...en-off-marrone

I just like how Marrone said look, EJ sucks, we have a good team and EJ is holding us back. It really makes me wonder what the "heated debate" he had with upper management was about - I'd have to guess about how much EJ sucks.

2. Post thanked by:

coastal (09-30-2014),HHURRICANE (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Marrone didnt ask permission to bench EJ...i like it

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
    "As a head coach you have to evaluate everything and, at the end of the day, you've got to make the right decisions with your mind, with your heart and things like that," he said. "The one thing is that when you go to bed at night you have to make sure that you're making the best decisions to help our football team win."

Marrone didn't seem Monday like a coach who agonized over this decision. There was almost a sense a relief, as if he could move on from the first 20 games of his tenure in Buffalo -- a period defined mostly by shoddy quarterback play.

The decision, the Bills say, was made entirely by Marrone, who delivered the news Monday afternoon to general manager Doug Whaley.

"I didn't ask for an agreement," Marrone explained. "I just went in there and said, 'This is the direction that I'm going.'"

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bill...en-off-marrone

I just like how Marrone said look, EJ sucks, we have a good team and EJ is holding us back. It really makes me wonder what the "heated debate" he had with upper management was about - I'd have to guess about how much EJ sucks.
    I think when EJ was drafted the plan was to have him sit behind Kolb for a year or two.

4. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (09-30-2014),Novacane (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    I think when EJ was drafted the plan was to have him sit behind Kolb for a year or two.
    I'd say for at least hist first season. But Kolb got injured and all that changed. We may have rushed EJ on the field. Am I angry he didn't perform? Sure but at the same time I didn't expect from him and/or the team as some Bills fans.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,301 Times in 13,730 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

[COLOR=#333333]

Could be, but I have to wonder if there was a specific set of things the coaches wanted Manuel to do- win or lose- and he got benched for not doing them.

This is jus speculation on my part, but I really think the coaches were looking for specific items from EJ, he know what they were and he didn't come through

7. Post thanked by:

Pinkerton Security (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Like completing a pass 15-yards down field? My guess is that they asked him to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

9. Post thanked by:

Cleve (09-30-2014),HHURRICANE (09-30-2014),jlgarsh (09-30-2014),Luisito23 (09-30-2014),Meathead (09-30-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by casdhf View Post
    Like completing a pass 15-yards down field? My guess is that they asked him to do that.

Yep. No secrets, no intrigue, no surreptitious conspiratorial talks past midnight.

Manuel stinks this season - no if ands' or buts. His honeymoon is over. One can crab about drops, but jeeze, it's hard to toss so may passes and end up with 27 pitches at wrs with only 9 completions. I also take exception with the OC that ordered 27 passes to wrs, when he must have sniffed that chemistry between Manuel has been fizzing away like a broken firecracker since season's start.

And not noticing that the interior of his OL is about as tough as a piece of cheap tissue paper. I happen to think that the Bills' D is getting by on good luck and other teams' injuries, but whatever, they are keeping things close enough. So I would have afforded Manuel some max protection - that FB - and worked the clock for him.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,367 Times in 8,980 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He didn't even ask for permission???

Whoa, talk about a good lookin' rebel who plays by his own rules!

12. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (09-30-2014),IlluminatusUIUC (09-30-2014),Mace (09-30-2014)

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post

Congrats on learning how to use sarcasm! Its a useful tool! Now, go ahead and try to provide some sort of useful comment on the thread instead of some other inane comment.

The point of my thread is - I imagine Marrone wanted to utilize EJ differently. Pure conjecture, but I have a feeling this is where the disagreement between Marrone and the FO arose.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In the dysfunctional organization that has been the Buffalo Bills, that's a huge step forward.

15. Post thanked by:

Pinkerton Security (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Congrats on learning how to use sarcasm! Its a useful tool! Now, go ahead and try to provide some sort of useful comment on the thread instead of some other inane comment.

The point of my thread is - I imagine Marrone wanted to utilize EJ differently. Pure conjecture, but I have a feeling this is where the disagreement between Marrone and the FO arose.
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.

17. Post thanked by:

IlluminatusUIUC (09-30-2014),Mace (09-30-2014),Mad Max (09-30-2014),OpIv37 (09-30-2014),ServoBillieves (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,301 Times in 13,730 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

My cat's breath smells like cat food.
    That's where I saw the leprechaun. He tells me to burn stuff.

19. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-30-2014),Mad Max (09-30-2014),ServoBillieves (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    That's where I saw the leprechaun. He tells me to burn stuff.
    Go banana!

21. Post thanked by:

ServoBillieves (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,471 Times in 7,088 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Awesome.

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't buy this. Marrone's hand was forced. Either start Orton or look for another job. This is contradictory to him flipping out over signing Orton.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

frankly, marrone's brash behavior is forcing the hand of the old guard. he had his fit about the trainers during offseason. that story got picked up for alittle while. Then he had his fit at end of season with whaley.

and now he's making the change at QB. It continues to highlight things going on above him and his attempt to do what he can.

the other guys like jauron and gailey let the front office stick them with poor talent and then get blamed that they were the reason the team wasn't winning. Clearly that wasn't working for coaches and job security. Hopefully in the long run it does what its supposed to do. remove the worst parts of the organization by the start of 2015.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,561 Times in 17,445 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Could be, but I have to wonder if there was a specific set of things the coaches wanted Manuel to do- win or lose- and he got benched for not doing them.

This is jus speculation on my part, but I really think the coaches were looking for specific items from EJ, he know what they were and he didn't come through
    What specific items would that be, if you were to further speculate?

Marrone shouldn't have to ask permission, who starts and who sits is his call.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

26. Post thanked by:

Meathead (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalogic View Post
    I don't buy this. Marrone's hand was forced. Either start Orton or look for another job. This is contradictory to him flipping out over signing Orton.
    He flipped out way before Orton was signed. It was after Jordan Palmar was signed. Joe Buscaglia and Tim Graham broke that story as it was actually happening, and was about two week before Jason LaHackanfora threw it out there.

Now I wonder if Marrone was fired up over Palmer being the best that the front office was willing to do at tge time, after seeing tgat Ej wasn't ready.

28. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-30-2014)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jry44 View Post
    He flipped out way before Orton was signed. It was after Jordan Palmar was signed. Joe Buscaglia and Tim Graham broke that story as it was actually happening, and was about two week before Jason LaHackanfora threw it out there.

Now I wonder if Marrone was fired up over Palmer being the best that the front office was willing to do at tge time, after seeing tgat Ej wasn't ready.
    I still think he flipped out on them twice, once on the practice field (Palmer) and after Orton in the offices ?

I don't really believe he solo'ed the decision, but respect him for probably making it and Whaley for probably letting him stand or fall on it without contradicting him.

I read somewhere a GM nearly always gets 2 shots, an HC one. Of course Whaley is going to have to answer for his own issues, like trading off next years first and being involved in Manuel as he's asserted. There's not any real way to tell what it was he flipped out over...but I think it was painfully obvious Manuel' s going nowhere quick at this point.

So they live or die on this, and just so.

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Marrone flipped about Orton.

Marrone saying it was solely his decision to start Orton seems ridiculous. Apparently a lot of folks want to say Marrone has a no nonsense attitude and that he won't take the front office's BS, but I think it is the other way around. Whaley signed Orton, not Marrone. Looks like Whaley has been identifying and addressing our problems and Marrone apparently wants all the credit for it. More Saint Doug nonsense.

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bye Bye Brady...