Thread: A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF POSITIVES!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF POSITIVES!!

So its been a while posting threads but I felt compelled to write this one. I had a busy day at work yesterday and when I looked down at my phone and saw that EJ got benched I have to say I was psyched.

Not because "EJ sucks" or that Orton is somehow amazingly better....but for the fact that Marrone had the nuts to make a decision to help us try and win. I love the fact that he made the decision without the approval of Whaley and pretty much said so in his presser. That takes guts and he should be commended for that. I'm sure he's the reason Orton is here in the first place.

Here's my list of positives and why not to give up yet:

1) We are dominant on defensing the run. It's a long time coming but it's pretty impressive so far.

2) This offensive line is one player away from being terrific for years to come. Richardson played really well for his first start. Cordy Glenn, Richardson, Henderson, Woods. That's pretty exciting. They made mistakes and it's going to take a while to fully gel but good teams have good lines on both sides of the ball.

3) Tons of talent. The reason people are frustrated, me included, is that their is finally enough talent to win. That's why the play at QB is so critical. Are we a Super Bowl team, no not yet, but certainly good enough to be in the playoffs.

4) Kyle Orton is going to throw the ball. I'd rather have picks throwing the ball deep than a pick 6 on a screen pass. Williams, Woods, Watkins, Chandler are going to see the ball.

5) We maybe saved EJ's career. Sitting on the bench and not having the pressure of having all eyes on one player is going to help him mature. He's got a long way to go and I'm not sure if he's an NFL QB with 14 starts. Time is a healer.

6) The division is ripe for the taking. Two losses in a row and still in first place with the easiset schedule.

The Bills came out flat against the Chargers so I'm not 100% sure that was a winnable game however the Texans game was ours. We should be 3-1. I think we get rolling this week.

2. Post thanked by:

casdhf (09-30-2014),Don't Panic (09-30-2014),jlgarsh (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF POSITIVES!!

I think the secondary is playing better than expected too. I mean, they aren't great ... but they are definitely better than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What would you have said before the season started if after 4 games, EJ would lead us to 1st place in the division all by ourselves (based on tiebreakers), yet we bench him before the 5th game. lol.

That's how it is with being a Bills fan. Nothing works out the way we want.

I'm totally on board with the benching, but when you word it that way, it's really odd.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post
    What would you have said before the season started if after 4 games, EJ would lead us to 1st place in the division all by ourselves (based on tiebreakers), yet we bench him before the 5th game. lol.

I'm totally on board with the benching, but when you word it that way, it's really odd.
    Ain't it?

They should sell straws to grasp at the Bills' trinket store.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

6. Post thanked by:

imbondz (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post

The Bills are 2-2 in spite of EJ's play...not because of it.

There are some horrific stats out there about just how bad his play has been. If you want to justify his play by his wins/losses (2-2) or his TD/INTS (5-3) have at it.

Here's one stat that you can get around. On first and second down his completion rate is 62%, on thrid down it's 43%. The stats in the red zone are even more horrific.

He's not winning games for us. Period. All four games were winnable and I could argue he did his best in 3 of them to blow it.

The fact that the coaches want to win should be applauded.

Here's another stat. Since 2007 no 1st round QB pick has come back from a benching so the reality is that EJ has some pretty big odds to fight now. I hope he beats them but right now he's dead man walking.

8. Post thanked by:

IlluminatusUIUC (09-30-2014),Mad Max (10-01-2014),Mr. Cynical (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I support the decision 100%. However, what it won't do is save Marrone's (and the rest of the FO's) jobs. I will go on record today saying Pegula will clean house and they're all gone. The only way, and even this is a reach, is if they make the playoffs. Obviously Maroon knows this, hence the hail mary of using Orton, a guy who they paid $11M to who was in the process of retiring. But to wait until the week before the season to toss the first hail mary with Palmer, then to do it again with Orton even later, proves they aren't capable of properly evaluating the most important position on an NFL team. They went through an entire off season convinced Lewis and Tuel were just fine. That, imo, is grounds for firing on that basis alone.

I'm just really really excited to have a strong owner like Pegula at the helm who I hope will really get this franchise back on track.

Until then, go Bills.

10. Post thanked by:

HHURRICANE (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I do not think this moves saves or helps Manual in any way shape or form.

Manual is done and the bills will be drafting a QB this year.

They have no chance but too. Orton is a journey man and even if he plays well he is not much better than Fitz so he will play this year and maybe sign a 2 or 3 year extension so he will be here 4 or 5 years. I would imagine the plan would be to bring in a QB this year or next year and let him compete with Orton and Manual for next years gig. In reality Orton will start Manual will be the back up and the rookie will be inactive.

The second season of the rookie QB will see Manual released so 2016 or 2017 depending on if we take a QB in 2015 or 2016. The new QB will be Ortons backup his second season.

The third season the rookie will start and Orton will be the backup for his last year or two in Buffalo.

Hopefully he will be the guy.

I liked Manual and was rooting for him but never in the history of the NFL has a young QB been benched and then become good after being benched, he is done.

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HHURRICANE View Post
    The Bills are 2-2 in spite of EJ's play...not because of it.

There are some horrific stats out there about just how bad his play has been. If you want to justify his play by his wins/losses (2-2) or his TD/INTS (5-3) have at it.

Here's one stat that you can get around. On first and second down his completion rate is 62%, on thrid down it's 43%. The stats in the red zone are even more horrific.

He's not winning games for us. Period. All four games were winnable and I could argue he did his best in 3 of them to blow it.

The fact that the coaches want to win should be applauded.

Here's another stat. Since 2007 no 1st round QB pick has come back from a benching so the reality is that EJ has some pretty big odds to fight now. I hope he beats them but right now he's dead man walking.
    I wasn't justifying anything, just saying if you word it the way I did, it sounds weird. that' all. I'm all for benching him

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Great thread HH. I agree with everything but #2... still have to raise their game in that area.