View Poll Results: Keep What We Have or Build A New Stadium?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep What We Have and spend $400 million on renovations

10 40.00%
  • Build A New Stadium and spend a lot more money to go to a Bills game

15 60.00%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Build A New Stadium, or Keep The Ralph And Spend "Only," About $400 Million?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Build A New Stadium, or Keep The Ralph And Spend "Only," About $400 Million?

Arrowhead Stadium looked great on TV last night.

Back in 2001, the Chiefs spent about $150 million on stadium renovations.

In 2010, a $375 million stadium renovation was finished.

Arrowhead is a beautiful stadium, and it is a lot like RWS in many ways.

Build a new monstrosity of a stadium on the Buffalo waterfront, or keep what we have in Orchard Park?

Can Bills fans afford the ticket prices of a new stadium with PSL fees on top of season ticket costs?

Recently, the Miami Dolphins just got approved by Miami-Dade County for a $350 million stadium renovation project.

A new stadium with much higher prices, or a $375-$400 million privately funded renovation with no taxpayer money at all and the same prices most fans can afford?

The Pegula's recently sold land for $1.75 billion and purchased the Bills for $1.4 billion.

That leaves about $350 million leftover.

Keep what we already have and improve upon it, or build a new stadium?

Thanks
    Thanked 30,518 Times in 17,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Build A New Stadium, or Keep The Ralph And Spend "Only," About $400 Million?

The state is going to want to keep the stadium in it's current location, simply because it lessens the amount that will probably be required for the gov't entities to pony up on infrastructure. I'd be surprised if Pegs doesn't want to build downtown, somewhere in the vicinity of the FNC. The nail-biting isn't over folks, there will be at least a mini-pissing match over the stadium issue.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

3. Post thanked by:

better days (10-01-2014),BillsImpossible (09-30-2014),Fletch (10-01-2014)

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Build A New Stadium, or Keep The Ralph And Spend "Only," About $400 Million?

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    The state is going to want to keep the stadium in it's current location, simply because it lessens the amount that will probably be required for the gov't entities to pony up on infrastructure. I'd be surprised if Pegs doesn't want to build downtown, somewhere in the vicinity of the FNC. The nail-biting isn't over folks, there will be at least a mini-pissing match over the stadium issue.
    WGRZ's Adam Benigini reported from NYC when the Pegula's passed the financial vote that Pegula and Delaware North (Bruins owner Jacobs company) have had preliminary talks about joining together to build a new stadium.

http://www.wgrz.com/story/sports/nfl...-nfl/15772057/
    Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 09-30-2014 at 07:20 PM.

5. Post thanked by:

better days (10-01-2014),Dr. Who (10-01-2014),WagonCircler (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What do the fans want?

Does that question apply in the NFL in the same way as the NHL?

I want a new stadium, but at the same time I don't want to pay $250 to go to a game.

A new stadium is going to cost over a billion dollars, and with that goes $3,000 per year PSLs (Personal Seat Licenses).

Can the average Bills fan that has had season tickets for the past 10 years afford that?

I can't.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetDannyWilliams View Post
    WGRZ's Adam Benigini reported from NYC when the Pegula's passed the financial vote that Pegula and Delaware North (Bruins owner Jacobs company) have had preliminary talks about joining together to build a new stadium.
    "Delaware North Stadium," is the shiny new car everyone wants, but can we afford it?

I'm sure that the Pegula and Jacobs family can afford to build a new stadium, but can the fans that have supported the team for years afford the higher season ticket prices and PSL fees too?

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    What do the fans want?

Does that question apply in the NFL in the same way as the NHL?

I want a new stadium, but at the same time I don't want to pay $250 to go to a game.

A new stadium is going to cost over a billion dollars, and with that goes $3,000 per year PSLs (Personal Seat Licenses).

Can the average Bills fan that has had season tickets for the past 10 years afford that?

I can't.
    It is true that ticket prices will double but PSLs are one time purchases and not annual.

Minny's new stadium will have PSLs from $600 to $15,000.

9. Post thanked by:

Novacane (10-01-2014)

I'm right, Miyagi is wrong. HAMMER's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No, most of the current Bills fans can't afford PSL's.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,081 Times in 3,565 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd favor renovating the Ralph. Arrowhead is actually a year older than the Ralph.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Build a new one, use the old until it is ready, make the new a sports park attraction with museum and shops and location, and give the county a toy to play with in the old one.

If they are smart, the county can find creative ways to make money with it besides letting someone else try. You just know the county must be itching to rake in the big bucks with an 80k seat stadium free and all their own, because such renovated locations rake in the big bucks and if you get one free yeah ?

13. Post thanked by:

BillsOverDolphins (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

New...bring the excitement back to WNY
    Oh no!...We suck again!

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bills build the new stadium, then UB football program moves into RWS, UB then uses Bulls stadium for just for track and field events. Now With UB now playing big teams like Baylor Bulls stadium just isn't big enough! The capacity at UB stadium is 31,000 including bleachers in both endzones. If UB moves to the RWS then they would have tons of seating. It would be a win win situation.

UB stadium.jpg
    Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 09-30-2014 at 10:21 PM.

16. Post thanked by:

better days (10-01-2014),Night Train (10-01-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Jacobs does wish to pay for a significant portion of a new stadium. It WILL be built downtown by the Sabres arena and all the new development. I doubt it's even a question anymore. 65,000 would be the right size. Dome, of course.

High prices ? PSL's ? We'll see the business plan first but it's years away.

18. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (10-01-2014)

that slimey ass of an admin at the zone Dude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,563 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetDannyWilliams View Post
    Bills build the new stadium, then UB football program moves into RWS, UB then uses Bulls stadium for just for track and field events. Now With UB now playing big teams like Baylor Bulls stadium just isn't big enough! The capacity at UB stadium is 31,000 including bleachers in both endzones. If UB moves to the RWS then they would have tons of seating. It would be a win win situation.
    UB can barely fill their on-campus 31,000 seat stadium. Why would they move to one 20 miles away that is twice the size?

20. Post thanked by:

Don't Panic (10-01-2014),Dr. Lecter (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,217 Times in 3,686 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It will be downtown waterfront all the way, just drop the retained Orchard Park dream chatter all together. TP just spent $1.4 Billion, you think he's going to want & continue to play in RWS / no where near his other investments ? It's crazy to even talk about it.
    Last edited by Skooby; 10-01-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I am fine either way.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A whole lot of "trolls" here apparently.

I mention these things a month or two ago and all hell breaks loose.

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    The nail-biting isn't over folks, there will be at least a mini-pissing match over the stadium issue.
    Agree with YR here.

Also, what if Pegs doesn't want to spend $1B mostly if not all of his own money on a new stadium and the league insists? Then what? We just assume that he'll bust himself putting every penny he has into the Bills, but that may not be the case. Maybe he says "I took the first step, now I want some help."

I agree, the nail-biting is far from over.

Also, not really nail-biting, but what is he doesn't clean house administratively and in the front office. To me that's more important than buying the team. Who wants the same ****ty team for the next 20 years. Many of us will be looking at the TV asking who Jim Kelly was again by then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
    I am fine either way.
    Me too with one exception, I love tailgating. If a stadium in any other location limits tailgating then I'm not for a change.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    UB can barely fill their on-campus 31,000 seat stadium. Why would they move to one 20 miles away that is twice the size?
    For one thing, I'm pretty sure no alcohol is allowed at Stadiums on campus. At the Ralph, alcohol would be allowed, great place to tailgate as well.

UB moves up the food chain with a larger Stadium, most likely attracting BIGGER, BETTER teams to come to Buffalo to play.

that slimey ass of an admin at the zone Dude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,563 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    For one thing, I'm pretty sure no alcohol is allowed at Stadiums on campus. At the Ralph, alcohol would be allowed, great place to tailgate as well.

UB moves up the food chain with a larger Stadium, most likely attracting BIGGER, BETTER teams to come to Buffalo to play.
    Alcohol sales are regulated either by conference or university rules, or a combination of both. UB can sell beer now but they choose not to. 11 of the schools that allow beer sales play in pro stadiums, but if the Bills move RWS wouldn't be a "pro" stadium anymore so that really wouldn't be a factor. In other words, a move to RWS wouldn't guarantee beer sales.

Similarly, a move to RWS wouldn't guarantee an improvement in the opponents. You have to remember that UB still plays in the MAC, and the power conferences are getting away from scheduling those teams away from home. You are getting schools like Baylor there now because schedules are made years in advance, but with all the changes in the playoff structure that will most likely change.

It makes absolutely no sense to move to an off-campus venue when you don't fill the one you already have. Why pay rent for a stadium you won't fill when you have one on-campus already? Why make it harder for students to get to the games?

26. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    No potential for problems there with a 15 mile drive back to campus.

28. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    Alcohol sales are regulated either by conference or university rules, or a combination of both. UB can sell beer now but they choose not to. 11 of the schools that allow beer sales play in pro stadiums, but if the Bills move RWS wouldn't be a "pro" stadium anymore so that really wouldn't be a factor. In other words, a move to RWS wouldn't guarantee beer sales.

Similarly, a move to RWS wouldn't guarantee an improvement in the opponents. You have to remember that UB still plays in the MAC, and the power conferences are getting away from scheduling those teams away from home. You are getting schools like Baylor there now because schedules are made years in advance, but with all the changes in the playoff structure that will most likely change.

It makes absolutely no sense to move to an off-campus venue when you don't fill the one you already have. Why pay rent for a stadium you won't fill when you have one on-campus already? Why make it harder for students to get to the games?
    Well, teams change conferences all the time as well. UB could move up to a better conference.

I think a larger Stadium would induce big time schools to Buffalo much more than what they have now, and big time games will attract more fans from all of WNY.