Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EJ Manual and him getting better

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

EJ Manual and him getting better

Look we do not know if EJ is going to be good or bad come 7 September.

The point of this thread is to explain what I think Buffalo is going to do with him and what I am hoping with happen.

Buffalo is looking at EJ as a Joe Flacco kind of experience, they want to surround him with a great OL, Def, WR, and RBs. They do not want to make EJ to win the games like the Pats or Broncos do with their QBs. What they want to see is EJ get better and better every year and hope that they have a problem signing him. At that point they will resign him and have to let guys walk.

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: EJ Manual and him getting better

All signs so far, if preseason is an indication, that EJ might struggle on September 7th and throughout the season. I, for one, hope that he gets it, and we see a lot of different i.e. GOOD things from him, such as throwing the ball downfield/not taking sacks.

As to the rest of your post... What?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    All signs so far, if preseason is an indication, that EJ might struggle on September 7th and throughout the season. I, for one, hope that he gets it, and we see a lot of different i.e. GOOD things from him, such as throwing the ball downfield/not taking sacks.

As to the rest of your post... What?
    I was rushed

Summary:

The bills know EJ manual is no luck or Peyton as a result they need a great team around him and hope he develops into a good QB over the course of 5 years. Meanwhile because the team is talented they will still win games in be in the postseason. At that point once EJ is up for a new contract hopefully he has developed and become a good enough QB he does not need all that talent around him to win.

He will never be Tom Brady and have scrubs and make them look like pro bowlers but hopefully we can one or two legit receiving options, LT, RT locked up, a good RB and the offense will still click with plug and play parts and young players on first contracts.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    I was rushed

Summary:

The bills know EJ manual is no luck or Peyton as a result they need a great team around him and hope he develops into a good QB over the course of 5 years. Meanwhile because the team is talented they will still win games in be in the postseason. At that point once EJ is up for a new contract hopefully he has developed and become a good enough QB he does not need all that talent around him to win.

He will never be Tom Brady and have scrubs and make them look like pro bowlers but hopefully we can one or two legit receiving options, LT, RT locked up, a good RB and the offense will still click with plug and play parts and young players on first contracts.
    Ineresting. Assuming he can become Flacco, do you ever sign him to a big money deal or just go out and get someone to replace him when his rookie contract expires?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    Look we do not know if EJ is going to be good or bad come 7 September.
    We have a pretty good idea that he's going to suck all season long and struggle to improve if he does at all, just as happened at FSU. To think anything else at this point is baseless speculation.

The more important thing is going to be how much of the organization, at least the personnel part, Pegula cans before he hires a new GM. Hopefully it's the entire personnel section and hopefully they don't hire anyone with any ties to anything in NYS or Pittsburgh.

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,907 Times in 2,087 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

well, the problem with the Flacco comparison is that Flacco actually throws the ball deep and can connect.
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

7. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (08-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I was not a fan of Fitzpatrick at all but I truly wonder if the Bills have regressed at the QB position with Manuel.

I know its preseason and maybe he will open it up during the regular season a little more however, he is very inaccurate and I just don't see all of sudden it clicking with him on September 7th.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

evryone needs to calm down we arent running our full offense or anytrhing more then what marrone wants to show. i think ej will be fine

10. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (08-26-2014),Meathead (08-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,863 Times in 3,510 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    evryone needs to calm down we arent running our full offense or anytrhing more then what marrone wants to show. i think ej will be fine
    If they're having issues running the vanilla basic plays, what the hell do you expect them to do when everyone could have multiple assignments?

12. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (08-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    You thought JP Losman was awesome too.

Your opinion on QBs is meaningless.

14. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (08-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    well, the problem with the Flacco comparison is that Flacco actually throws the ball deep and can connect.
    And won a Super Bowl.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    It's true Flacco does throw the ball down field more than Manuel, but saying he connects more is misleading.

Last season in passes 11- 20 yds. Flacco had 128 att. and connected on 55 for 43.0 % comp. Manuel was 25 of 54 for 46.3% comp. Let's not forget Flacco played in 6+ games more.
    As far as the "deep ball", in passes 21-30 yds. Flacco attempted 51 and connected 8 for a 15.7% comp. Manuel attempted 19 and connected on 6 for a 31.6% comp. That's 2 less passes completed than Flacco in 32 less attempts, in the range. Passes thrown between 31 and 40 yds. Flacco had 11 attempts and connected on 3 of them for 27.3% Manuel attempted 9 and completed 2 for 22..2% One less completion than Flacco, also in that range EJ had 1 TD while Flacco threw 2 ints. 0 TD's. Passes over 41 yds. Flacco attempted 16 and connected on 4 for 25% comp. Manuel attempted 5 and connected on 1 for a TD and threw 1 int, while Flacco threw 1 TD with no ints. in that range.

So it turns out that Flacco completed 4 more passes thrown over 31 yds. than Manuel, in 6+ more games, so I guess your post is correct, even though I'm sure you were trying to imply something other than Flacco connected 4 more deep passes than Manuel. Also it turns out that in passes thrown between 11 and 30 yds. Manuel is more accurate.
    Just for kicks, last season Flacco's y/a was 6.37, while Manuel's was 6.44.. I'll be truthful though Flacco does have a higher y/a than Manuel this preseason. This is not my opinion, these are facts.

17. Post thanked by:

better days (08-26-2014),Dr. Who (08-26-2014),Meathead (08-26-2014)

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,907 Times in 2,087 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    It's true Flacco does throw the ball down field more than Manuel, but saying he connects more is misleading.

Last season in passes 11- 20 yds. Flacco had 128 att. and connected on 55 for 43.0 % comp. Manuel was 25 of 54 for 46.3% comp. Let's not forget Flacco played in 6+ games more.
    As far as the "deep ball", in passes 21-30 yds. Flacco attempted 51 and connected 8 for a 15.7% comp. Manuel attempted 19 and connected on 6 for a 31.6% comp. That's 2 less passes completed than Flacco in 32 less attempts, in the range. Passes thrown between 31 and 40 yds. Flacco had 11 attempts and connected on 3 of them for 27.3% Manuel attempted 9 and completed 2 for 22..2% One less completion than Flacco, also in that range EJ had 1 TD while Flacco threw 2 ints. 0 TD's. Passes over 41 yds. Flacco attempted 16 and connected on 4 for 25% comp. Manuel attempted 5 and connected on 1 for a TD and threw 1 int, while Flacco threw 1 TD with no ints. in that range.

So it turns out that Flacco completed 4 more passes thrown over 31 yds. than Manuel, in 6+ more games, so I guess your post is correct, even though I'm sure you were trying to imply something other than Flacco connected 4 more deep passes than Manuel. Also it turns out that in passes thrown between 11 and 30 yds. Manuel is more accurate.
    Just for kicks, last season Flacco's y/a was 6.37, while Manuel's was 6.44.. I'll be truthful though Flacco does have a higher y/a than Manuel this preseason. This is not my opinion, these are facts.
    point taken. however, i still feel that the fact that he is willing to throw down the field MORE softens up the opposing defenses more because defenses have to respect the higher possibility of him throwing the long ball.

granted, this is not a fact, just my opinion

Thanks
    Thanked 5,948 Times in 3,500 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    We have a pretty good idea that he's going to suck all season long
    I have a pretty good idea your posts are going to suck all season long.

20. Post thanked by:

better days (08-26-2014),Dr. Who (08-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,948 Times in 3,500 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by don137 View Post
    I was not a fan of Fitzpatrick at all but I truly wonder if the Bills have regressed at the QB position with Manuel.

I know its preseason and maybe he will open it up during the regular season a little more however, he is very inaccurate and I just don't see all of sudden it clicking with him on September 7th.
    It's not a shocker. Fitz was a limited player but he was a vet with a lot of smarts. Manuel is still very raw. The best hope is he improves gradually as the year goes on which is possible.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hackett needs to call better plays. That could help.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    If they're having issues running the vanilla basic plays, what the hell do you expect them to do when everyone could have multiple assignments?
    See, when they run vanilla plays, and pretty much the same ones over and over again, and they don't game plan, the result is predictable. It should be obvious. Apparently, it isn't to you.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

things look a lot worse for ej right now than they really are. he had a very bad luck game last time out early on, a pick instead of an ez completion when chandler slipped at exactly the wrong time, receivers dropping balls like bubbles the butter fingered hooker, and a sack/barely fumble that magically gets returned from the ground with players from both teams piled on top of each other like a game of human pick up stix. he also was pretty inaccurate at times, likely the result of a brand new right oline combo being unusually porous

other times in the preseason he has looked good, moving the ball crisply, running through reads, and finding the right guy. hes also been good with timing routes, throwing the ball before the receiver makes his break

im not going to declare him the next jim kelly but the massive overreaction has been comical. hes definitely improved over last season and i expect hes going to be considerably better this sophomore season. idk if hes going to end up being the franchise guy we all want or not, but nobody can know that right now. i know for sure hes gonna be better than the majority of falling sky fans are projecting right now
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

25. Post thanked by:

DesertFox24 (08-26-2014),Dr. Who (08-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post

Accuracy is far more than completion percentage & Stats. You also have to consider ball placement, drops, and the play itself.

If Flacco throws a 40yrd pass into the end zone which the WR catches or drops is a lot different than EJ manual throwing a 7yard pass that the WR takes 33yards to the house.

Look at their QBR and that will give you a better understanding of individual performance. It considers what was open and possible on each play and how much the QB had to do in a given situation towards the outcome.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,085 Times in 4,281 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    Kinda hard to execute properly when the defense basically knows what's coming. It goes both ways. The announcers even mentioned the bills were running the same 4 plays basically and just switching whether they ran them right or left.

28. Post thanked by:

DesertFox24 (08-26-2014)