Thread: JW's All-22 Review Bills/Texans

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

JW's All-22 Review Bills/Texans

Watt was an animal, but Manuel still had plenty of opportunities to make big plays.

Excellent breakdown of what happened against the Texans by Jeremy White.

Warning: Get out your barf bag.

http://www.wgr550.com/JW-All-22-Revi...exans/20015538

2. Post thanked by:

BuffaloRedleg (10-01-2014),YardRat (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,585 Times in 17,461 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: JW's All-22 Review Bills/Texans

Third QB pressure on EJ...for the love of god, somebody please tell me why Wood bounces to his left to look for a block instead of helping Pears out with Watt? It was right there.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 4,353 Times in 2,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Third QB pressure on EJ...for the love of god, somebody please tell me why Wood bounces to his left to look for a block instead of helping Pears out with Watt? It was right there.
    it was a slide protection. i suspect the line call was made expecting a blitz from the back side (there probably was one), wood was moving in the direction the line was supposed to be moving. Bad protection call mostly. You see that sometimes. There were some solid examples in that article, though a lot more was going on. I noted a number of plays throughout the game where there were WRs simply not covered, or open enough for a solid gain that EJ simply wouldn't throw, and checked down to a short droppoff. That 80y td was left on the board a NUMBER of times against each of the 4 teams we played (as in every game that play was there at least once... in some games it was there multiple times) that's part of why i wasn't jumping for joy with EJ's play through the first 2 games. It wasn't that he was playing bad (he wasn't) it was that he was leaving a LOT of points and yards on the field.

Well, we'll get to see orton. Hopefully he's an improvement over EJ.
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 10-01-2014 at 05:26 AM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    it was a slide protection. i suspect the line call was made expecting a blitz from the back side (there probably was one), wood was moving in the direction the line was supposed to be moving. Bad protection call mostly. You see that sometimes. There were some solid examples in that article, though a lot more was going on. I noted a number of plays throughout the game where there were WRs simply not covered, or open enough for a solid gain that EJ simply wouldn't throw, and checked down to a short droppoff. That 80y td was left on the board a NUMBER of times against each of the 4 teams we played (as in every game that play was there at least once... in some games it was there multiple times) that's part of why i wasn't jumping for joy with EJ's play through the first 2 games. It wasn't that he was playing bad (he wasn't) it was that he was leaving a LOT of points and yards on the field.

Well, we'll get to see orton. Hopefully he's an improvement over EJ.
    I'm certainly no offensive line guru, but if I understand zone-blocking at all, this is a kindergarten level read for Woods, and he blew it.

There is no defender on his left shoulder.
    There is no defender on his right shoulder.
    There is no defender head up on Richardson or Pears.
    Watt is lined up on Pears right shoulder.

The LBer at the line determines Woods' read. If the LBer stays put, his first step should be left foot 45deg back. After the LBer backs off, Wood's first step should either be A) right foot straight back, see which defender (if any) takes the lane across the face of the guard, and engage...or, B) right foot 45deg back to help Pears with the double team on Watt.

Granted, in an unfriendly environment he has to have his head down to see the silent snap, but he should know where the lineman are located already, and he needs to snap his head up and read the LBer better than that. His first step was taken as if the LBer was coming, or the DT on Richardson was coming across his face, and it was completely the opposite.

Richardson and Pears, based on d alignment, actually made the correct call and took the right step (45deg back with the foot the defender is lined up on).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Based on the olinemen's first steps, it isn't slide protection, IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,903 Times in 4,023 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think I can go one better.

The Bills know they are going against one of the few unstoppable forces on defense in the NFL in JJ Watt.
    They know there are really only a handful of OL that are equipped to handle him one on one.
    When he lines up on D, he will have the choice of lining up against:

-a rookie RT in his 4th game;
    -a rookie G in his 1st game;
    -Scott Chandler, one of the worst blocking TE's in the game;
    or

-Robert Pears;

None of these options presents a fair fight.

And yet...there was little to no help wherever he lined up.

At the very least, they should have had a RB spying him and prepared to step up as needed to slow him down.

I know, that takes away EJ's checkdown option and ruins the whole "spread offense" vision of Hackett...but damn...you play your opponent, not a scheme.

8. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Watt puts on some of the most singularly dominating performances I've ever seen.

I don't even recall Bruce taking over games like he does, but may I'm not remembering correctly.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,353 Times in 2,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Based on the olinemen's first steps, it isn't slide protection, IMO.
    everyone on that side of the line moved left. wood's head never looked right. It was the line call.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I've been wanting more patience and time to develop with EJ, but it's brutal to see how many opportunities for some big plays were wasted. No wonder the WR's looked fed up with him. It's one thing to throw incompletions. I mean deeper throws are a lower percentage play for every QB, but to not even make attempts when the opportunity is clearly there is really frustrating to see. It's not like EJ doesn't have the arm or ability to make those throws. We saw him hit on a number of nice looking deep throws last year, so why not at least take some shots especially when that's one of your biggest criticisms. Even if you miss it can still help open things up underneath.

Living in Denver and being fairly familiar with Orton, I'm really not that excited about him being our QB, but I have to believe that he will make a lot of these throws that EJ just isn't even attempting or missing on. I don't want to expect too much from Orton, but it definitely seems like we have the WRs and play designs to be a lot better on offense.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,479 Times in 7,095 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We drafted EJ partly for his mobility and yet....... what should have been a keeper for EJ, he hands off..as usual.

Last edited by justasportsfan; 10-01-2014 at 01:00 PM.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I've been wanting more patience and time to develop with EJ, but it's brutal to see how many opportunities for some big plays were wasted. No wonder the WR's looked fed up with him. It's one thing to throw incompletions. I mean deeper throws are a lower percentage play for every QB, but to not even make attempts when the opportunity is clearly there is really frustrating to see. It's not like EJ doesn't have the arm or ability to make those throws. We saw him hit on a number of nice looking deep throws last year, so why not at least take some shots especially when that's one of your biggest criticisms. Even if you miss it can still help open things up underneath.

Living in Denver and being fairly familiar with Orton, I'm really not that excited about him being our QB, but I have to believe that he will make a lot of these throws that EJ just isn't even attempting or missing on. I don't want to expect too much from Orton, but it definitely seems like we have the WRs and play designs to be a lot better on offense.
    Thanks for the info. Your comments are appreciated. My only memories of him are a rookie season debacle against CIN and whatever I saw through channel surfing.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

elite QB
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Watching that play makes me sick..........EJ"s got 2 blockers on one defender. That's not the only time that happened. Are the coaches seeing this and being stubborn or what

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    everyone on that side of the line moved left. wood's head never looked right. It was the line call.
    Can't really tell because the picture isn't big enough, but the only reason to call a half-slide-left with that defensive set is if the WOLB is coming off the edge...I can guess that he isn't based on Glenn engaging his man (DE) and no other defender crashing the LT zone in sight. The SOLB, however, can clearly be seen coming from Henderson's side.

It's zone blocking regardless, and if Wood called a zone half-slide AWAY from Watt than it's an even dumber move than originally thought. He should have taken a straight first step back, read and reacted to double team Watt. At worst, the call should have been a half-slide to the right (Watt's side).

FWIW, with no slide called, both Richardson and Glenn's first step was going to be 45deg to their left anyway, based on where the defenders are lined up.
    Last edited by YardRat; 10-01-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    We drafted EJ partly for his mobility and yet....... what should have been a keeper for EJ, he hands off..as usual.

Chandler whiffed on that...looks like he guessed EJ was keeping it, and let the LBer crash, thinking he would turn inside and put himself out of the play...he should have engaged the defender.