Thread: Woods and Watkins notice difference w/ Orton

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Woods and Watkins notice difference w/ Orton

To be expected given Orton is a vet, but nonetheless I think this is exactly what that young group needs. Someone who has been there before and can dictate from experience. They will definitely respond better to that and get re-energized. Question for me is can Orton execute what his brain knows. He's got to be a bit rusty but we'll see soon enough.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bill...nce-with-orton
    Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 10-01-2014 at 04:02 PM.

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-01-2014),feldspar (10-02-2014),swiper (10-03-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Woods and Watkins notice difference w/ Orton

" My God, he's so pale ! "

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Good stuff to hear.
    The mind is willing, here's to hoping that the body is able.
    31 is fairly young for a QB.
    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

5. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-01-2014)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"Dat peckerwood can really throw dat ball" ~ Entire Bills' Offense.

7. Post thanked by:

Buffalogic (10-01-2014),jimmifli (10-02-2014)

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

^rofl

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Those comments coming from the Bills top two receivers speak volumes.

"The way he talked, the way he handles business, the way he looks at plays and breaks down defenses, it's kind of different than EJ."

Ouch. 'Kind of different than EJ,' is a polite way of saying Orton is a much better quarterback.

I think Watkins and Woods are both implying that EJ Manuel was way in over his head.

"He reads it quicker, the ball is coming out faster. That's just some things that we have to adjust to."

Very interesting.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cynical View Post
    To be expected given Orton is a vet, but nonetheless I think this is exactly what that young group needs. Someone who has been there before and can dictate from experience. They will definitely respond better to that and get re-energized. Question for me is can Orton execute what his brain knows. He's got to be a bit rusty but we'll see soon enough.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bill...nce-with-orton
    Thanks for posting this.

Orton might be a bit rusty, but at least he knows how to ride the NFL's big wheel without training wheels.

His command of the huddle, ability to read defenses and tell his players what to do and where to be is going to be a stunning contrast to what we have seen out of EJ Manuel.

Orton knows how to party, likes Jack Daniels and The Doors.

I like the kid already.

11. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (10-01-2014),Mr. Cynical (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There is just so many things go into a QB during a game. I'd not be surprised that Marrone, being a OL coach, decided the QB switch mostly because of protection adjustments that EJ didn't call - see how Houston made so many similar stunts like the Chargers did and achieved the same results? How many times Watt got one on one against Oline at different spot and no adjustments? If you are the QB, you are the authority at the LOS to adjust.

Also remember the timeouts the Bills taken during the first half? Did you see EJ got to the sideline where the HC, OC, QB Coach, Oline Coach all gathered to talk to him? That should never happen. Looks to me EJ confused and could not make a call, asking for directions, and still needed 2nd, 3rd person to explain to him what to look for etc.

The Bills have a young WR corp. If you have a QB who can tell receivers what to look for before snap can help a great deal of preventing some those rookie mistakes of not looking for balls etc.

13. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-01-2014)

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We don't need Orton to be Peyton Manning. We just need him to be sort of Alex Smith, like KC played against the Pats on Monday. We have a good running game and a great defense. All Orton has to do is not lose the game for us.

15. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (10-02-2014),jlgarsh (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not sure about the ultimate results but Orton at least knows what the role of WRs is. EJ didn't seem to have a clue.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm concerned how our receivers will react to passes that aren't airmailed over their heads or thrown 3 yards behind them. There will be an adjustment period for sure.
    Oh no!...We suck again!

18. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-02-2014),TacklingDummy (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah there will be. Also, everyone should be cautious in their optimism. I posted an article earlier from when he went to the Broncos I think it was.

Some good some bad, but there also was some stuff about inaccuracies in deeper throws. It can't possibly be as bad and at least he'll take some shots.

I think if we can finish 8-8 at this point with plans for a new GM we'll be in good shape. I have no idea how Pegula can possibly keep Whaley. 8-8 would at least be a nice stepping stone into a proper rebuilding era if we get a competent GM and presumably head coach.

20. Post thanked by:

Mr. Cynical (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Yeah there will be. Also, everyone should be cautious in their optimism. I posted an article earlier from when he went to the Broncos I think it was.

Some good some bad, but there also was some stuff about inaccuracies in deeper throws. It can't possibly be as bad and at least he'll take some shots.

I think if we can finish 8-8 at this point with plans for a new GM we'll be in good shape. I have no idea how Pegula can possibly keep Whaley. 8-8 would at least be a nice stepping stone into a proper rebuilding era if we get a competent GM and presumably head coach.
    I agree. And unless they make the playoffs I can almost guarantee the entire FO is gone. Pegula wasn't shy about changing things with the Sabres and I hope he does the same here. But that's another topic. I think this game is going to be rough as hell and I'm not expecting anything but maybe 14-25, 185 yds, 1 td and a pick. Lions have #1 D so it's not the best time to judge Orton. Still, I know this - it would be MUCH uglier with EJ so anything up is a good thing imo.

22. Post thanked by:

Fletch (10-02-2014)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    There is just so many things go into a QB during a game. I'd not be surprised that Marrone, being a OL coach, decided the QB switch mostly because of protection adjustments that EJ didn't call - see how Houston made so many similar stunts like the Chargers did and achieved the same results? How many times Watt got one on one against Oline at different spot and no adjustments? If you are the QB, you are the authority at the LOS to adjust.

Also remember the timeouts the Bills taken during the first half? Did you see EJ got to the sideline where the HC, OC, QB Coach, Oline Coach all gathered to talk to him? That should never happen. Looks to me EJ confused and could not make a call, asking for directions, and still needed 2nd, 3rd person to explain to him what to look for etc.

The Bills have a young WR corp. If you have a QB who can tell receivers what to look for before snap can help a great deal of preventing some those rookie mistakes of not looking for balls etc.
    I think you can throw the ol coach expertise out the window with Marrone. They stocked up on behemoth linemen and use a light agile lineman zone blocking scheme, and started a very large 343 lb rookie against a team with JJ Watt. Any Bills QB can call whatever protection adjustments he want and the beefsters cannot do it. He has this insane thing about the veteran Urbik, who while he was not all pro was not a 343 lb rookie inactive looking up at JJ Watt nor a 6'8" converted tackle who was probably worse at tackle than Urbik was at guard.

Probably like anyone else interested enough to look at all the postgame snaps, you always noticed unpressured Manuel making the wrong throw with multiple receivers waving their arms for "open", or shying from being nearly killed like Goodwin was stretching up and backwards or diving head first into very large men running very fast.

No big surprise, it makes me think Manuel was lost, his receivers knew it, and the best possible immediate result is that they think Orton knows what he's doing if not Peyton Manning, and the ball has a reasonable chance of being someplace where the receivers can do something with it without being maimed.

All the o-line has to do with a QB who has a faster release, is to slow them down and the ball is away. It would be real good if the ball was away to the receivers and not a back in the flat sometimes.

This O-line guru Marrone stuff though needs to be thrown out the window.

24. Post thanked by:

Mr. Cynical (10-01-2014)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's just a very long, nice way of saying

"Wow, what a difference it makes when your QB can hit you in stride instead of throwing it 10 feet over your head when you are wide open"

26. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My view of the whole thing is, I love the Bills and whatever works use it to win
    The enemy deserves no mercy....mercy is for the weak.

28. Post thanked by:

Buffalogic (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No excuses from the WR corp then. They had better catch everything. These guys getting paid millions just to drop passes isn't going to fly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A rusty Orton is better than a fresh EJ.