Thread: Theo Fleury shaking the demons

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Theo Fleury shaking the demons

CALGARY, Alberta -- It's been nine years and two weeks since former NHL star Theo Fleury had a drink. It's been almost 11 years from the time he bought a gun in a Santa Fe, New Mexico, pawn shop, drove home, put the barrel in his mouth and thought about pulling the trigger.

He doesn't miss the drinking. In fact, he said he doesn't even remember the last drink he had.

He no longer has suicidal thoughts. He never even really wanted to kill himself, he said. He just wanted to stop the pain that tormented him each and every day.

He doesn't seem to miss his NHL playing days either. Doesn't keep in touch with many of his old hockey buddies. His tight-knit inner circle now includes an Irishman who manages his band, Theo Fleury and The Death Valley Rebels, a Serbian peace officer he met at his sons' soccer game and a former AHL tough guy who now works in the drilling business.

Distance from his former life has provided him perspective. Fleury, 46, would be happy if none of the things from his past defined him. He'd be thrilled if, looking back at his life, someone were to remark: "Hey, you know, he was a pretty good hockey player too."

"I would love that," Fleury told ESPN.com in a lengthy sit-down interview last week. "Hockey was the vehicle and it gave me everything I have, but it was only the first 35 years of my life. I still have 35 years left to live, and I certainly want to make a difference in the next 35."

Though he leaves behind an indelible legacy on the ice, the former Stanley Cup champion, Olympic gold medalist, Canada Cup winner and World Junior champion has a new purpose in life.

He wants to help. He wants others to heal.

"I chose to live my life -- every little detail -- publicly because I know how many people it's helped. I know how many people have taken the noose off their neck, I know how many people have put the gun down, how many people that have not taken the whole bottle of pills," Fleury said. "What I want to encourage people is, it's OK to tell your story. One day you're going to tell your story, and it's going to save someone's life."
    http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11...-others-abused

Everybody should read "Playing With Fire". It is one of the most powerful books I have ever read. Very disturbing in spots. But just an incredible story.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

2. Post thanked by:

coastal (10-03-2014)

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Theo Fleury shaking the demons

He tried out for the flames a few years back and probably should have made the team. He was leading the team in pre-season scoring but they had their top 6 and he wasn't bottom 6 material.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 12,036 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

was one of my favs growing up. whenever i played NHL 99, fleury was always on my first like. skated like the wind.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

5. Post thanked by:

coastal (10-03-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Crazy.

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11...-others-abused

Everybody should read "Playing With Fire". It is one of the most powerful books I have ever read. Very disturbing in spots. But just an incredible story.
    If you still have it, I would like to borrow it.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'll bring it sometime when we go to to a game