Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is EJ tradable?

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Is EJ tradable?

Jury is completely out on Manuel but the NFL tends to start QB's far too early. 1 out of 10-20 actually do something beyond their first contract.

Remember all the draft buzz for guys named Gabbert, Clausen, Harrington, Quinn, Tebow and dozens of others ? ( Like Losman ) ? Yeah..that panned out.

Throw them in the fire early... and basically ruin them.

Manuel couldn't hit the ocean standing on the beach this fall...but he's what.. 23 years old ? Work with him for another year or 2 on his dirt cheap contract and see if he can actually develop. Orton is showing him poise in the pocket, reading defenses and how to be calm in the big moment. Maybe something clicks, maybe not... but dumping him now makes no sense.

2. Post thanked by:

better days (10-21-2014),Dr. Who (10-21-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    The one where Chandler and Stevie fumbled?
    Don't know how old you are. I remember when young qbs "matured" for three or four years before they were actually asked to start.
    It's a different game now, but I still think EJ has potential.

Also, he's such a good kid, I'd like to see virtue rewarded. Doesn't seem to happen much in this world, but I'm going to root for him, regardless.
    I'm 30. Meaning I've seen a lot if QBs come and the good ones ALL show their promise early. EJ hasn't shown any promise.

Also, the Atlanta game, EJs ineptitude is the reason they were able to crawl back into that game. Chandler and Stevie's fumble weren't EJs fault.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    I'm 30. Meaning I've seen a lot if QBs come and the good ones ALL show their promise early. EJ hasn't shown any promise.

Also, the Atlanta game, EJs ineptitude is the reason they were able to crawl back into that game. Chandler and Stevie's fumble weren't EJs fault.
    Steve Young says hello, Rich Gannon says hello. Kurt Warner says hello, Jack Kemp says hello, Jim Plunkett says hello.

Just off the top of my head.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Steve Young says hello, Rich Gannon says hello. Kurt Warner says hello, Jack Kemp says hello, Jim Plunkett says hello.

Just off the top of my head.
    Great QBs. Different times.

QBs these days come more ready and the rules are set up for QB success.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Great QBs. Different times.

QBs these days come more ready and the rules are set up for QB success.
    Well, you know how to change your tune quickly.

Aside from Andrew Luck & maybe Russell Wilson, what other QB's today were quick to success?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Jury is completely out on Manuel but the NFL tends to start QB's far too early. 1 out of 10-20 actually do something beyond their first contract.

Remember all the draft buzz for guys named Gabbert, Clausen, Harrington, Quinn, Tebow and dozens of others ? ( Like Losman ) ? Yeah..that panned out.

Throw them in the fire early... and basically ruin them.

Manuel couldn't hit the ocean standing on the beach this fall...but he's what.. 23 years old ? Work with him for another year or 2 on his dirt cheap contract and see if he can actually develop. Orton is showing him poise in the pocket, reading defenses and how to be calm in the big moment. Maybe something clicks, maybe not... but dumping him now makes no sense.
    QBs do not need to be developed in the NFL anymore.

The rules favor the passing game, offenses are the same offenses run by these guys in the collegiate ranks.

These guys either get it and succeed or flop.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well, you know how to change your tune quickly.

Aside from Andrew Luck & maybe Russell Wilson, what other QB's today were quick to success?
    Dude...really? Cam Newton. Andy Dalton. Matt Ryan. Ben Roethlisberger. Collin Keapernick (I know he had a year). RGIII showed what he can be his first year.

Lots of QBs come to ball. EJ doesn't look like those guys. He looks like; Gabbert, and Pondrer.

Evan Eli Manning, Locker and Tannehill showed more than EJ.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Surely, it's a passing league now. I don't see how that rules out developing a qb over time.
    I don't buy that they have it immediately or close to, or they never get it.
    Anyway, maybe it's a generational divide. I'm fifty. Good things sometimes take patience.

All that said, I hope we give EJ a chance and select another young qb to compete.
    Orton is okay for now. I like Shane Carden, the ECU qb, btw.

10. Post thanked by:

better days (10-21-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

People need to come to terms with this is no longer the 1970s version of the NFL anymore.

Teams don't have the luxury of sitting on players for years hoping they'll develop because they can keep them for 15 years if they work out.

With parity teams come up from out of nowhere yearly and succeed. You don't need 5 year rebuilding plans. Last years garbage can be this years cinderella and next years powerhouse. And then just as quickly they can fade back to obscurity.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    People need to come to terms with this is no longer the 1970s version of the NFL anymore.

Teams don't have the luxury of sitting on players for years hoping they'll develop because they can keep them for 15 years if they work out.

With parity teams come up from out of nowhere yearly and succeed. You don't need 5 year rebuilding plans. Last years garbage can be this years cinderella and next years powerhouse. And then just as quickly they can fade back to obscurity.
    Actually with the CBA in place today, teams can afford to develop a QB much more than in the past.

If you draft a QB in the first rnd, you have him for 5 years to develop at a CHEAP price.

A QB drafted after the first rnd, a team can only keep 4 years on the rookie contract but at a REALLY CHEAP price.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Actually with the CBA in place today, teams can afford to develop a QB much more than in the past.

If you draft a QB in the first rnd, you have him for 5 years to develop at a CHEAP price.

A QB drafted after the first rnd, a team can only keep 4 years on the rookie contract but at a REALLY CHEAP price.
    And name me one team who has done this in today's NFL...outside of the Packers with Favre and Rodgers.

Guys get thrown in quickly and either sink or swim. Those who sink fade away into obscurity as fast as their star rose to being touted the "next big thing"

According to your thinking, Trent Edwards should still be here and be developed cuz maybe he'd get it by now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I believe in appropriate and aggressive action. We bought high in EJ and his stock has done nothing but tank. If we can salvage anything out of it then let's do it lest we wind up like the Titans with Locker and Locker is a better QB than EJ...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And name me one team who has done this in today's NFL...outside of the Packers with Favre and Rodgers.

Guys get thrown in quickly and either sink or swim. Those who sink fade away into obscurity as fast as their star rose to being touted the "next big thing"

According to your thinking, Trent Edwards should still be here and be developed cuz maybe he'd get it by now.
    Rodgers is a great example of a guy that had the chance to sit & develop.

Far too often, QB's are thrown to the wolves too soon.

Maybe teams should learn a lesson from the Packers.

16. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (10-22-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Rodgers is a great example of a guy that had the chance to sit & develop.

Far too often, QB's are thrown to the wolves too soon.

Maybe teams should learn a lesson from the Packers.
    Don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to say you're point isn't valid or anything...but we don't know that Rogers wouldn't have been good if he had started immediately.

18. Post thanked by:

Albany,n.y. (10-22-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to say you're point isn't valid or anything...but we don't know that Rogers wouldn't have been good if he had started immediately.
    Agreed, but we do know for a fact he became successful after sitting & developing.

In the same respect, we don't know how many QB's that were thrown to the wolves day one & failed would have had success if they were given the chance to sit & develop.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And Tom Brady sat his rookie year, watching Bledsoe & developing. Brady was 1 of 3 his rookie year.

Who knows what would have happened to him if he had to play day one as a Rookie.

Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,531 Times in 3,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pretty sure they could trade him to the Atlanta Braves for B.J. Upton.

Patti
    Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

UB
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Yet we'd have to replace EJ which despite what some would say, to me, is no easy task. As he's the list of UFAs to be. None of them really have EJ's upside and doubt we get any them as cheap as EJ is getting paid. You could make the argument for Locker but I don't like his accuracy and inability to stay healthy.

Carson Palmer QB UFA
    Matt Moore QB UFA MIA
    Mark Sanchez QB UFA
    Jake Locker QB UFA TEN
    Michael Vick QB UFA
    Matt Hasselbeck QB UFA
    Christian Ponder QB UFA
    Matt Flynn QB UFA GB
    Blaine Gabbert QB UFA
    Shaun Hill QB UFA STL
    Jason Campbell QB UFA
    Tarvaris Jackson QB UFA
    Brian Hoyer QB UFA
    Ryan Mallett QB UFA
    Tyrod Taylor QB UFA
    T.J. Yates QB UFA ATL
    Jimmy Clausen QB UFA
    Joe Webb QB UFA CAR
    Dan Orlovsky QB UFA
    Colt McCoy QB UFA WAS
    Luke McCown QB UFA
    Not only that but EJ knows the system.

People quickly forget that we've had a backup QB cluster**** for the last two years. Finding a competent one isn't as easy as one might think.

For all EJ's faults, he's by far the least bad option.

23. Post thanked by:

better days (10-22-2014),Historian (10-22-2014),jimmifli (10-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    Pretty sure they could trade him to the Atlanta Braves for B.J. Upton.

Patti
    If he hits like that we should trade for him. He can be the gunner on special teams.

25. Post thanked by:

better days (10-22-2014)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,245 Times in 15,408 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think even the Bills agreed that he was a bit of a project when they drafted him, so I have no problem letting him carry a clipboard this year and next.

It would not surprise me if the Bills released him at the end of the season though.