Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Balls & Goats

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Balls & Goats

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    lecter, i actually am short of making chandler a goat. on that last drive, before the 24 yard 4th down play, he dropped an easier pass. he is too streaky to be our best TE. Gragg seems to catch everything his way and he hasn't fumbled.

chandler is the romo of TE. Good enough statistically, but totally unreliable in clutch situations on a regular basis. maybe they have big plays in big moments, but chances are they will fail on an ever grander scale due to the lack of consistency.
    I never understood the hate for Chandler. He's a very good TE. I'd say he's a top 10 TE right now. He's shown steady improvement over the course of his career and does so with a revolving door of QB's and OC's.

He's currently ranked 14th in yards this year and 2nd in catches over 20 yards.

2. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (10-21-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I've watched every game. Blocking is nice but it's not a WR's main responsibility and it does NOT make up for fumbling away a first down. And 2 productive games out of 7 so far? Come on. That's invisible by my standards.

Then again, defending guys like that is par for the course around here, going back at least to Schobel. Schobel, Remersma, Whitner, Chandler, Spiller, Woods- people remember the two good games but always forget about the 3 or 4 in between where their guy didn't show up.
    ball distribution is much higher now with orton targeting 9 receivers in each of games as starter. so that may make him more invisble. Where he was hte most targeted while EJ played, he's getting less looks. except in NE game where he got 10 from the SW decoy strategy. and he had 7 catches for 78 yards and a TD.

i'll give you that his season play is mostly average, but the QB play hasn't been excellent and he hasn't been a drop machine.

4. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (10-21-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,400 Times in 13,786 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by bdutton View Post
    I never understood the hate for Chandler. He's a very good TE. I'd say he's a top 10 TE right now. He's shown steady improvement over the course of his career and does so with a revolving door of QB's and OC's.

He's currently ranked 14th in yards this year and 2nd in catches over 20 yards.
    He had the fumble in the Toronto game last year. He had he big drop in the final drive on Sunday (granted, he made up for it). Traditionally he's been good in the red zone but only average in the rest of the field, and he's average at best as a blocker. He's just not the reliable outlet that we need him to be.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,126 Times in 4,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    It's a balls/goats thread. Everyone else already mentioned all my other choices before I got here.

And a WR who only blocks (and fumbles) is invisible.
    He fumbled because he had his head nearly twisted off.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,400 Times in 13,786 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    He fumbled because he had his head nearly twisted off.
    And? It's the NFL. Guys routinely get trucked by 250 lb LB's running full speed and don't fumble.

Why do people insist on defending guys who **** up and hurt the team?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i'm not saying chandler is terrible, i'm just saying he's unreliable. like Stevie. IF the watkins pass was thrown stevie's way, you'd have held your breath. When you saw watkins open and the throw his way, you were fine with it.

similarly, you never know what chandler you can get. am i saying let's sacrifice a high pick just to get more competition? no. i just htink if there is a TE that's highly rated in the draft, you need to keep looking to upgrade.

lastly gragg catches what's thrown his way. no fumbles yet. no big injuries yet. he's getting mroe time on the field. this is good for team's diversity in a position.