Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Would You Fix The Offensive Line?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How Would You Fix The Offensive Line?

Cyril Richardson needs to be benched.

His play at left guard is the biggest problem the Bills have on offense.

Cordy Glenn is crying for help. The kid next to him doesn't have a clue as to what he's doing on the field and has been totally overwhelmed.

Richardson is nowhere near ready to start. I don't think it is possible for Kraig Urbik to play any worse than Richardson. He can play both guard positions, and center.

So that's it right?

No way, Jose. Simply inserting Urbik in for Richardson is NOT going to solve the Bills offensive line problems.

How about moving Pears back to right tackle, and trying to use Seantrel Henderson at left guard with Urbik filling in right side next to Pears?

Pears isn't a good right guard. He is a bad right guard. He is at least an average right tackle.

Glenn, Henderson, Wood, Urbik, Pears ?

The only change compared to last year would be Henderson playing left guard, which is why I like the idea.

It's a shakeup, but not as big of a shakeup as it looks.

Having Seantrel Henderson playing next to Cordy Glenn, why not? Henderson is a better football player than Richardson, and could be great playing next to Cordy Glenn.

Another good reason to move Henderson inside to left guard is his youth. He's not an old hog trying to learn new line tricks.

During Bills training camp this summer, Henderson practiced exclusively on the left side.

Then Doug Marrone had the bright idea of completely changing the right side of his offensive line, which has been a huge mistake.

Why not go back to what worked last year?

The Bills could run the ball last year (and years before) with Urbik and Pears on the right side.

Urbik and Pears back together again on the right side, with Seantrel Henderson at left guard.

You're welcome, Cordy.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,853 Times in 3,502 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: How Would You Fix The Offensive Line?

Well we neglected the O-line for years. Trend continues.

3. Post thanked by:

Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!! Luisito23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 969 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Angry Re: How Would You Fix The Offensive Line?

You got some good possibilities BI, but if you can see this, why can't that idiot see it too?
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd put Urbik at right guard and switch to more man/power blocking scheme while the kids learn. They're getting killed with d-line stunts in their zone blocking scheme. I'd put Pears back at right tackle and let Henderson learn some more. Richardson like it or not is starting LG, but minimize his learning curve and stop pulling him to right tackle for the love of heaven to use that 775 lbs of left side muscle without making them run all over the place.

And I'd get rid of Pat Morris as soon as possible.

6. Post thanked by:

GvilleBills (10-20-2014),YardRat (10-20-2014)

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd switch Wood to LG, bring in Hogan at RT, sit Pears, and see what Chris Villlarial is up to.
    Bye Bye Brady...

8. Post thanked by:

Meathead (10-22-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

One of two ways . First, replace the guards. Ubrik at RG and Harriston at LG.

Or the dramatic shift. Henderson to LT and Glenn to LG, Wood at C Ubrik at RB and Harrison at RT. Neither is optimal, and I wouldn't mind dropping Kujo in sooner or later.

Ubrik should be starting this week at either guard start, that's for sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    Well we neglected the O-line for years. Trend continues.
    They've never really neglected the O-line.

They just haven't picked good players for it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    They've never really neglected the O-line.

They just haven't picked good players for it.
    I'd disagree with that, they have excellent players for it, just are not or cannot use them again. Always happens at various positions.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,559 Times in 17,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I'd put Urbik at right guard and switch to more man/power blocking scheme while the kids learn. They're getting killed with d-line stunts in their zone blocking scheme.
    I know we have our differences with the blocking scheme, but this is something we do agree on.

I've already mentioned these before, but short term I would replace Pears with Urbik, and work KuJo at guard in practice and see if he can find a spot to excel at. Longer term I would be shopping for a G in FA, or a C better than Wood (FA or draft) and slide him over to guard. I understand there is youth on the oline, but still think part of the problem is the calls coming from Wood. That may not necessarily be Wood's fault, because Hackett needs to take a real hard look at his run play design, especially relative to how the blocking schemes tie in with the type/direction of runs he's trying to utilize...they just aren't syncing up. Maybe more man is the answer, maybe just better reads/keys/assignments from zone.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

13. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-21-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I'd disagree with that, they have excellent players for it, just are not or cannot use them again. Always happens at various positions.
    They've tried in the draft KuJo being most recent and failed. They tried in FA most recent Williams and failed.

But they have drafted or signed guys like Mike Williams, Trey Teague, Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker, Richie Incognito, etc...who all have either sucked or just didn't pan out here.

The main problem is the few they have hit on, they don't like keeping around and that goes all the back to Reuben Brown.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Any guy can come in and play guard. Didn't you people learn that when Buddy Nix decided that Colin Brown was an adequate replacement for Andy Levitre? Don't question the wisdom of Buddy Nix, he turned this team around.
    I hear there are some veteran guards at Attica-Doug, get it done.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Any move is just swapping bad options.

17. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (10-21-2014),jimmifli (10-21-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

id let seantrel start smoking weed again

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

LT-Glenn
    LG-Urbik
    C-Wood
    RG-Pears
    RT-Henderson

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How would I fix the Offensive Line?

Double Joe D'Alessandris salary and get him back here!!!

21. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-21-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto View Post
    How would I fix the Offensive Line?

Double Joe D'Alessandris salary and get him back here!!!
    From a climate perspective, you couldn't possibly drag me back from San Diego to Buffalo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I know we have our differences with the blocking scheme, but this is something we do agree on.

I've already mentioned these before, but short term I would replace Pears with Urbik, and work KuJo at guard in practice and see if he can find a spot to excel at. Longer term I would be shopping for a G in FA, or a C better than Wood (FA or draft) and slide him over to guard. I understand there is youth on the oline, but still think part of the problem is the calls coming from Wood. That may not necessarily be Wood's fault, because Hackett needs to take a real hard look at his run play design, especially relative to how the blocking schemes tie in with the type/direction of runs he's trying to utilize...they just aren't syncing up. Maybe more man is the answer, maybe just better reads/keys/assignments from zone.
    Well we have our differences on scheme but at least we both know there's something not working in there. Debating it is part of the fun of message boards, they wouldn't be fun to participate in if everyone always agreed, and in our difference, your opinion just gave me something to pay attention that I might learn from, pro or con for my interest in the sport. Between here and my older days at the Range, I've gained a better knowledge of the sport from such things.

I keep looking at last year and this one, because last year they looked ok with problems, this year they look terrible.

2013 : LT Glenn, LG Legursky, C Wood, RG Urbik, RT Pears. Legursky was not good, Pears was problematic, Urbik was average. Big issue was perceived to be LG.

2014 : LT Glenn, LG Richardson, C Wood, RG Pears, RT Henderson. Pears being a problematic but not incapable tackle is moved to guard, two rookies, no Urbik whatever....

I can't point a finger at Wood, he'd not have gotten that bad in a year. Last year, they had 927 offensive penalties, most are generally figured to be line penalties, I don't have the breakdown, this year they have 527 in 7 games. (For comparison, with D'Alessandris/Levitre in 2012 they had 871, same linemen just Levitre different from 2013 besides obviously D'Alessandris). Makes me conclude the kids are not thriving or learning well enough. Well, OJT, and fine, except O-line seems a bad place to skimp on efficiency when the organization is touting playoff-ready.

For that matter, people say Marrone (who was not a real good lineman) is a line guru, and there's no real indication besides his history that he's in the thick of working with them.

I agree with both your maybes, maybe more man, maybe sync/execution, and certainly can't hurt trying Kounandjio, but I keep heading back to that old argument I lost resoundingly to Gilchrist. Scheme to personnel don't stuff personnel into scheme, and it bothers me much they are doing that latter which honestly never does work I've learned.

My thought on man/power, is that they always say run blocking is easier for the challenged o-linemen, because they stick to their man, tangle him, drive him, same stuff works great in pass protection.

But we're getting killed on stunts, because in zone, you block the man in the area and you're lost if there's no one to block in the area because your guy showed up on the other side, unless the other guy magically shows up in your assigned zone which he probably won't because the defense is attacking your blocking scheme to avoid it (that one blitz pic with linemen standing around lost as Orton is about to get waxed before his feet are down all the way while one DE runs away and the LB is already smelling carnage.

I don't know how much Wood, as the center, can do a whole lot besides change zones, and for that matter, I thought he was a fine right guard when they had him there. That brings up the option of using Urbik as center, but they could have used Legursky there, it's what he is in San Diego with D'Allesandris (started 3 games from being backup there before getting hurt last week), and they are determined not to use Urbik anyway.

Anyway, those are my detailed thoughts and they need to do something soon or it will take them all down and we start over yet again.

It sure doesn't look like Pat Morris is updating his drivers though they keep changing their plug and play devices.

24. Post thanked by:

YardRat (10-22-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    From a climate perspective, you couldn't possibly drag me back from San Diego to Buffalo.
    Global warming will change your tune in another 50 years Mister.

26. Post thanked by:

YardRat (10-22-2014)

Registered User Buffalo Thriller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Chris Hairston could probably do a whole lot better at LG or RG.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Cyril is struggling which is putting pressure on Glenn. That's the issue....

Let's not complicate the problem. Henderson will be great.

We need two guards, nothing else.