Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run Less, Pass More Hackett

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Run Less, Pass More Hackett

Tastes great, less filling.

It took two injuries to their starting running backs, and now the Buffalo Bills are primarily a passing offense instead of a running offense.

Fred Jackson plays a huge role in the Bills run heavy offense. Boobie can't replace Fred in so many ways.

This might be a good thing. Maybe a great thing because the Bills are now going to be forced to throw more.

"Throw more?!"

Hackett has a huge opportunity to transform his offense in to a passing machine. The Bills have a lot of talent at wide receiver, the kind of overall talent Tom Brady dreams about.

With Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller out for now, I think that means players like Watkins, Hogan, Woods, Chandler, and Goodwin get more plays.

Duh.

Run blocking is not the strength of the offensive line to say it politely.

Double Duh.

Pass blocking doesn't come easy for the Bills offensive line either, but they're better at pass blocking compared to run blocking.

For 3 straight games Kyle Orton has hovered at or right around 300 yards passing. When is the last time a Bills quarterback had back to back to back games like that?

Every sign in the NFL universe is glaringly pointing in the passing direction.

Follow the signs, Doug and Nathaniel, follow the signs.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Run Less, Pass More Hackett

Unless the Jets get up big early, we're probably going to see a healthy dose of Boobie and Brown.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

3. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (10-21-2014),RedEyE (10-22-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I agree with YardRat. This team can't go all Packer pass offense with this line. The bills need the run to be effective to keep the linebackers honest and the pressure off Orton.

5. Post thanked by:

imbondz (10-22-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RedEyE View Post
    I agree with YardRat. This team can't go all Packer pass offense with this line. The bills need the run to be effective to keep the linebackers honest and the pressure off Orton.
    The Patriots line sucks, can't run the ball for nothing so what do they do against the Bills?

Pass. Tom Brady had one great throw in that game for a TD, and it was the longest ball he threw all day. Everything else was short and quick, and they carved up the Bills secondary with small passing slices all day long.

If you can't run, pass!

It's so freaking obvious. Why continue to bang your head up against a brick wall when it's not working?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Jets have a good run D and a weak secondary so, knowing Hackett, he will probably be more than happy to give our 4th-string RB who has never dressed for a game 30+ carries.
    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tom Brady and the Patriot offense has perfected the quick release nickel and dime. Hackett doesn't understand this concept. His offense tools around the timing plays and screens that take time for development. Its why you see Orton holding the ball for longer periods if time. Its why this decrepit inner line is caving on most pass plays to less talented defensive lines.

I don't believe the running game with Brown and Dixon is too far off from Fred and CJ. We will see a heavy dose of both IMO.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Doug Marrone recently said in an interview, "We might have to go to our short passing game."

The Bills offense has been based on a heavy dose of the run, and a lot of long passing routes.

Since Orton took over at quarterback, the short passing game has been minimal. Most of his passes are longer than 10 yards.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How good is Boobie at catching balls? I'm not as worried about the two guys (Brown Boobies) replacing the running game as I am the passing game. Fred was a huge part of the passing game. How many screens did he pick up the first down on 3rd and long? A lot.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We keep saying we need to run and Dixon/Brown are much bigger than Fred/Spiller.. but the OL still struggles in run blocking. We'll see.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    We keep saying we need to run and Dixon/Brown are much bigger than Fred/Spiller.. but the OL still struggles in run blocking. We'll see.
    I think the O-line struggled more when trying to run outside than they did when Fred was in there. The playcalling may be part of that as well. Now they might be forced to just try to pound out 3-4 yards on every carry and see what happens.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RedEyE View Post
    It's too bad, too. Because I have been really impressed with the Receivers. And not just Sammy. Woods, Hogan and Chandler lately (where did this come from?). If Orton had decent protection, this Offense could be explosive.

The problem is, the protection will be even worse without Fred back there.

Fred is the glue. Fred is the truth. Get well soon, Fred. Please.

14. Post thanked by:

better days (10-22-2014),RedEyE (10-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I think the O-line struggled more when trying to run outside than they did when Fred was in there. The playcalling may be part of that as well. Now they might be forced to just try to pound out 3-4 yards on every carry and see what happens.
    Well, the Bills have been trying to pound out 3-4 yards per carry since the first game of the season.

The problem is they were asking CJ Spiller to do that. CJ is a big play RB, not a run between the tackles RB.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    It's too bad, too. Because I have been really impressed with the Receivers. And not just Sammy. Woods, Hogan and Chandler lately (where did this come from?). If Orton had decent protection, this Offense could be explosive.

The problem is, the protection will be even worse without Fred back there.

Fred is the glue. Fred is the truth. Get well soon, Fred. Please.
    I think Frank Summers will see playing time because of his blocking ability.

17. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (10-22-2014)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Run less, pass more? We had 43 pass attempts vs. 18 called rushes against Minnesota.
    But Illuminatus, we lost both our starting halfbacks in that game!

Ok, against New England, we had 38 passes vs. 23 rushes.
    But Illuminatus, we had three turnovers and spent the whole game chasing the Patriots' score!

Ok, against Detroit we had 42 passes vs. 21 rushes.
    Against Houston we had 44 passes vs. 22 rushes
    Against San Diego 40 passes vs. 22 rushes.

This team has already been pass-wacky for over a month. We don't need to pass more, we need to run more and run more effectively.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

19. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (10-22-2014)

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Unless the Jets get up big early, we're probably going to see a healthy dose of Boobie and Brown.
    Wait you go to see football games at a nudie bar?

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    I think Frank Summers will see playing time because of his blocking ability.
    The danger being tipping your hand as Summers isn't really a threat to run.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, the Bills have been trying to pound out 3-4 yards per carry since the first game of the season.

The problem is they were asking CJ Spiller to do that. CJ is a big play RB, not a run between the tackles RB.
    They've tried doing it when FJ and Boobie are in there. With CJ I'd say 75% of the running plays called have been tosses, sweeps, whatever you wanna call them.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    The danger being tipping your hand as Summers isn't really a threat to run.
    I think Frank can run as well as Boobie, & he has good hands so he could catch a few balls as well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    They've tried doing it when FJ and Boobie are in there. With CJ I'd say 75% of the running plays called have been tosses, sweeps, whatever you wanna call them.
    I would call the play calling a mess, especially run plays.

I agree most of the plays to CJ were tosses, but we have no idea where the play was supposed to go because a defensive player was in the backfield at about the same time Spiller got the ball.

The best play Hackett called for Spiller was the last play that CJ had maybe as a Bill.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Captain Obvious speaks.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley