Thread: It’s pretty clear defense will have to carry season

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It’s pretty clear defense will have to carry season

In accordance with the 24-hour rule, Doug Marrone allowed his players a full day to enjoy their last-second victory over the Vikings. It was an ugly win with a pretty finish for the Bills considering how poorly their offense played and the odds against them scoring on their last drive.

History will show Kyle Orton hit Scott Chandler for 24 yards on fourth-and-20, Sammy Watkins for 18 on 3rd-and-12, Chris Hogan for 28 yards to the 2-yard line with the clock winding down, and finally Watkins again for the winning touchdown. Their final march was something to watch.

The Bills’ offense overcame laws of probability Sunday, let’s be honest. Their defense won the game after allowing only 276 yards and one touchdown despite four offensive turnovers. They forced the Vikings out of field-goal range with two of their five sacks on Minnesota’s final series.

And they restored faith after their horrid display against the Patriots. Now it needs to continue this week against the Jets.

“That’s how we’re going to win,” Kyle Williams said after the game. “We have to play well on defense. If they can get going” on offense “and we’re playing well off of each other, we’re going to be in a lot of football games.”

Sure, it was the same defense that allowed 158 yards rushing to a team that was without Adrian Peterson. The Vikes have the 10th-rated rushing offense but are last in passing yardage. The Bills were determined to prevent big plays by a rookie quarterback making his first road start. They begged Minnesota to run.

Buffalo is eighth in points per game allowed, 11th in yards allowed per game, fourth against the run, first in sacks, tied for third in interceptions and third-down defense and sixth in fewest plays allowed of 20 yards or longer. The defense enabled them to win three games by a field goal or less.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/b...eason-20141021
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,898 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: It’s pretty clear defense will have to carry season

i don't care what the numbers say. i still say watkins sucks, bills suck and the d really really sucks.

also, you're all idiotic women and i'm the smartest person here, if not in the world. none of you know anything

and lastly, i don't care what the NFL 'owners' approved. Terry Pegula is not and will not be the owner of the buffalo bills. They are getting bought by bon jovi and moved to toronto and that's final. i have 3 articles to prove it.
    Last edited by kscdogbillsfan1221; 10-23-2014 at 07:00 AM.
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

3. Post thanked by:

better days (10-23-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    It’s pretty clear defense will have to carry season
    How do you think that our defense is going to play this week vs. the Jets?
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    How do you think that our defense is going to play this week vs. the Jets?
    The more important question is how do you think our defense will play vs the Jets, Fletch?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Our offense won't score a lot ... but if our defense allows less points, we are going to win!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

7. Post thanked by:

imbondz (10-23-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    The more important question is how do you think our defense will play vs the Jets, Fletch?
    Why is that more important? I didn't bring it up.

I have no idea. Really. I don't know.

According to everyone here we should have no trouble shutting down that Jet rushing game that ripped NE's lesser defense a new one because our run D is top notch. I've taken a closer look and found it to only be "top notch" when the opposing RBs suck. The Jet's RBs do not suck and Ryan will know how to use them.

Which Geno Smith will show up, the one that, like Watkins, Spiller, Dareus, or Mario shows up every third game to have a good game, or the one that showed up against games before Denver and NE? If you can tell me that I'll give you more info on what I expect from our D.

Right now I see a Jets team that has had no trouble running on us and I'm concerned. Arent' you?

Last week McKinnon, a noboby RB put up over 100 yards on 5.4 ypc. What are Ivory, who's running very well right now, Powell, and Johnson going to do to us? Aren't you concerned about that? Or is your thought that, "meh, we'll handle it and easily hold them below 100 yards and 4.0 ypc rushing?"

From a coaching perspective I see Ryan and Morhinweg keeping Marrone, Hackett, and even Scwhartz confused all day long.

We have more talent overall.

Orton > Smith easily
    Jets RBs > our RBs
    our WRs > Jets WRs slightly, but now throw Harvin into the mix for his first game there, a home game too for them, and how does that change things?
    Chandler > Jets TEs

Defensively the two teams are very similar. Both tight against the run. Here's the difference there, they held Forte to less than 3 ypc compared to our 4.8, and Lacy to just over 3 ypc. They've played GB and Denver already. If we had played GB and Denver already our defense would be ranked worse than theirs imo.

Despite that our run Ds are almost complete copies of one another. The big difference in the two pass Ds is the INTs, but they've played much better QBs than we have too including Rodgers and Manning instead of Bridgewater and Fitzpatrick. Rivers had a full complement as did Stafford when they played 'em.

Some will insist that that's irrelevant but that's ridiculous to suggest that. Wait til we play Denver and Green Bay, it's going to be FUGLY.

Harvin's play is going to prove to be more of a puzzle for Marrone/Schwartz than Brown's play is going to be for Ryan.

I think it's a big game for the Jets. Unlike us they've played their toughest games. If they win here they the only teams that they face that currently have a winning record is the Steelers and they're not that great and haven't beaten a team with a winning record. That game's in NY. So I'm guessing that Ryan has that team pumped thinking that they can hit 8-8, which if they pull things together is a distinct possibilty with two games vs. us, two vs. Miami, Minnesota, Tennessee, and Pittsburgh at home.

Everyone said that last week was a milestone game for us. They may have not used that term but the thought was there. We barely answered the bell and I'm suggesting that our defense was exposed for what it really is.

Will our offense improve this week in NY? I don't expect it to.

Will our defense shut down the Jets' running game? I'm not expecting it to to the extent that we did while lining up against Winn, Damien Williams, Miller, and Blue. Whether they put up the average of 158 that they did in two games against us last season, with essentially the same front four we'll see. But if McKinnon did it, then why won't they?

That's how I see the game.
    Last edited by Fletch; 10-23-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by casdhf View Post
    Our offense won't score a lot ... but if our defense allows less points, we are going to win!
    You know, posts like this are amusing, but they offer nothing for discussion.

Then other use them as a springboard for ridicule.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So, the D will have to carry a team whose top 2 RB's are injured, OL is a patchwork, and starting QB got benched for a guy signed the week before the season started?

Wow, how insightful.

11. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (10-23-2014),Fletch (10-23-2014),Luisito23 (10-23-2014),ServoBillieves (10-23-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    So, the D will have to carry a team whose top 2 RB's are injured, OL is a patchwork, and starting QB got benched for a guy signed the week before the season started?

Wow, how insightful.
    Insight is this forum's middle name.

13. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (10-23-2014)

Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!! Luisito23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 969 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wow, how insightful.
    LOL...Was about to say the same thing.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

15. Post thanked by:

Fletch (10-23-2014),OpIv37 (10-23-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wow, how insightful.
    Lecter is late to the prom as usual. Everyone knew this coming into the season with EJ at qb especially after the way we played in preseason.

17. Post thanked by:

Luisito23 (10-23-2014),OpIv37 (10-23-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    Lecter is late to the prom as usual. Everyone knew this coming into the season with EJ at qb especially after the way we played in preseason.

That was the title of the article numbnuts.
    So, while I was late, at least I was there and not playing with myself at home

19. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (10-24-2014),justasportsfan (10-23-2014),OpIv37 (10-23-2014),YardRat (10-23-2014)

My IQ Test results came back negative BillsOwnAll's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How many times did fletch use aine that included the words "McKinnon and 5.4 ypc". Incase you didnt all know. That happen!

Anyways if the bills can get pressure we'll see geno do his signature 20 step run backwards sack! Hopefully this is the week our defense brings one to the house. Our O might have trouble protecting Orton so 7 from the other side would be nice!

Thanks
    Thanked 30,528 Times in 17,421 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Defense travels better than offense...the biggest factor in this game is going to be what the offense can do not only to put at least a few points on the board (which, don't kid yourselves, is going to be tough against the Jets D) but also to avoid giving the NY offense short fields. 3 and outs, 19 yard drives, turnovers aren't going to cut it.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Winning Ugly is our new Mantra. See the Detroit and Minny games.

It's a test of ones nerves but it beats losing.

.and Orton does make a difference in close games.