Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grantland says Sammy Watkins is pretty good

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Grantland says Sammy Watkins is pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by billser View Post
    All we've done is picked up meaningless mid 1st round players for two decades, sorry if I don't mind that for once we tried to hit a home run.
    This guy
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Thanks
    Thanked 18,367 Times in 8,980 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A lot of people complained about Kyle Orton's throw to Watkins that was well behind him on the game winning drive vs Detroit.

But the amazing catch Watkins made is a good example of why we traded up to get him.

That's the kind of dazzling talent that few receivers possess. The kid is just a monster. And I stick by my guns he's worth every penny in the draft. He has a rare skill set that will set him up as an elite receiver for years to come.

Tough break losing a 1st and a 4th to get Watkins, but consider the upside of a top 5 receiver for the next decade a fair trade-off.

Revis got the best of him in Week 6 but you won't see too many NFL CB's enjoy that level of success against him. He possesses too many superlatives to be simply and above average WR.

We got a gamebreaker on our hands and it's something we've desperately needed for years.

Long live the Fort Myers native.
    Last edited by JoeMama; 10-24-2014 at 09:33 PM.

3. Post thanked by:

bdutton (10-27-2014),better days (10-24-2014),pmoon6 (10-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by billser View Post
    Considering how bad our past 1st rounders have been, I'm ok with what we did. Rather have sammy than Kevlin Benjamin along with a MIke Williams/ cj spiller/ Ej manuel/ stephon Gilmore etc combo. These 1st rounders are wayyyyy overrated, hence why picking up an almost sure player is worth it.
    I guess you are right. I agree in theory with you very much (although those other 2 guys have been very good). The thing that pisses me off is that okay they went all in but then they play baloneytown with the QB position and with team specific matchups. If you are going to go all in, then go all in.

If you are going to go all in, don't ignore your premier player against the division champs Patriots. And don't gimme those typical garbage punt at the 42 yard line when it is 4th and 1. If you are all in and going for it then do it. I'm sure you watched Jeremy White's analysis on WGR against Revis and Sammy was open a ton. He just wasn't part of the gameplan at all, he was #3 at best on all routes. That is garbage coaching.

I love Sammy a ton, and I am incredibly happy we have him. But with our QB situation I mean I can't see how he is worth a bottom 15 pick next year to get a new QB. If we finish outside of 15, well maybe I'm wrong, but damn I'm sick of waiting for a franchise QB.
    Last edited by BuffaloRedleg; 10-25-2014 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
    I guess you are right. I agree in theory with you very much (although those other 2 guys have been very good). The thing that pisses me off is that okay they went all in but then they play baloneytown with the QB position and with team specific matchups. If you are going to go all in, then go all in.

If you are going to go all in, don't ignore your premier player against the division champs Patriots. And don't gimme those typical garbage punt at the 42 yard line when it is 4th and 1. If you are all in and going for it then do it. I'm sure you watched Jeremy White's analysis on WGR against Revis and Sammy was open a ton. He just wasn't part of the gameplan at all, he was #3 at best on all routes. That is garbage coaching.

I love Sammy a ton, and I am incredibly happy we have him. But with our QB situation I mean I can't see how he is worth a bottom 15 pick next year to get a new QB. If we finish outside of 15, well maybe I'm wrong, but damn I'm sick of waiting for a franchise QB.
    The thing is, that was a move Whaley made, going all in to get Sammy, balls of steel.

It is on Marrone , Hackett & the QB that Sammy was ignored.

I agree about the punting, once the ball crosses the 50 yd line I would not punt.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,521 Times in 17,414 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    The thing is, that was a move Whaley made, going all in to get Sammy, balls of steel.

It is on Marrone , Hackett & the QB that Sammy was ignored.

I agree about the punting, once the ball crosses the 50 yd line I would not punt.
    Granted on the first two points, but...

With this offensive line (obviously considering specific game conditions and situations) if there isn't a legitimate shot at a FG you have to punt. It's actually recognition by the head coach of the team's strength (defense) and weakness (offense, particularly the running game). Would you rather Marrone ignored the obvious and continually gifted the opponent field position and ball possession at mid-field?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 6,121 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sammy is just beginning to scratch the surface.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    A lot of people complained about Kyle Orton's throw to Watkins that was well behind him on the game winning drive vs Detroit.

But the amazing catch Watkins made is a good example of why we traded up to get him.

That's the kind of dazzling talent that few receivers possess. The kid is just a monster. And I stick by my guns he's worth every penny in the draft. He has a rare skill set that will set him up as an elite receiver for years to come.

Tough break losing a 1st and a 4th to get Watkins, but consider the upside of a top 5 receiver for the next decade a fair trade-off.

Revis got the best of him in Week 6 but you won't see too many NFL CB's enjoy that level of success against him. He possesses too many superlatives to be simply and above average WR.

We got a gamebreaker on our hands and it's something we've desperately needed for years.

Long live the Fort Myers native.
    Agreed. The other thing that comes up constantly about Watkins is how humble and serious about honing his craft he is. He is determined to be great, to build on his awesome talent. Also, watch the way he catches the ball. All hands. the ball just looks engulfed. This guy is Megatron II in a couple years with competent quarterbacking. It took the Lions 3 consecutive high (top 5 I believe) first round picks to hit on Calvin Johnson.

Benjamin may do some eye-catching things but to me he is comparable to Mike Williams. Williams had a couple strong seasons in Tampa but started to slide after that. Some if it was injuries but you gotta think that some of it is commitment.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
    I don't think anyone thought he wouldn't be good or great, but he'd need to be a Hall of Famer to be worth what we gave up or get us into the playoffs.

If we draft Top 15 next year and can't use our pick everyone should be fired. You make the bed you sleep in it.
    Agreed

Thanks for being honest.

By the way, do you want to review the game with me? I've been looking for that last post you made to me before the games but I can't find it, I meant to respond. If you know where it is let me know and I will, I definitely had some thoughts to share and continue that.
    Last edited by Fletch; 10-27-2014 at 06:55 AM.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley