Loyal.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

2. Post thanked by:

Night Train (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: What Type of Fan Are You?

and this guy is working on his PhD

I'd be a career-student too if I was that useless and had vanilla opinions on everything. Look for this same kind of topic to be regurgitated every other week by the OBD pudsuckers on here
    Oh no!...We suck again!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,698 Times in 7,758 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Long suffering.

5. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (10-24-2014),sudzy (10-25-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    The game your playing on this board is not too difficult to decipher, Fletch; in fact, it's transparent. I don't care if you're really a douchebag or just play one on the Internet. The net result remains the same as far as I'm concerned.
    What's transparent feldspar is the superficial nature of the posting. It begins early in the season where anything but overstatements of performance are ridiculed, slandered, maligned, etc. with the posters that post concerns entirely in good faith are called trolls among other things.

Then as the season progresses it becomes clear that those that conducted themselves as such are upset for one or more reasons, and begin to take it out on fellow fans rather than perhaps just telling themselves that they were wrong and leaving it at that. I know of none of those on that side of the fence that you might call "pessimists" that initiate any hostilities whatsoever. All they want to do is discuss football in realistic, not hyped up baseless, terms. But that's not permitted until "the mob" says it's OK.

That's what's transparent. The difference between me and some of those others is that I don't put up with nearly as much bull****. That's transparent too.

Anytime you want to talk football, I'm quite happy to do so. If you call me names, jump on bandwagons calling me (or others) names, take for fact what others say I said instead of what I actually wrote, etc., then I'm going to respond and in no uncertain way. Sorry you don't like it, but the easiest way to elminate it is for those that want to engage to bring their facts and those that don't to not make idiotic comments about posts that they don't read, dismiss me as whatever they like without overreacting, and go on about their lives as such. But they can't do that.
    Last edited by Fletch; 10-24-2014 at 07:04 AM.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

All fans criticize their team.

That's part of it.

Some go way overboard into the ***** and douchebag categories.
    Some go way overboard into the ***** and douchebag categories about other fans. It starts during the preseason when those other fans don't wear glasses that see nothing but roses and rainbows.

What do you expect when a majority jumps all over a minority in that way, the exchanging of pleasantries?

Here's the funny thing about it, if at the end of the season they're wrong, then maybe, just maybe, you have a case. But they haven't been. So really, what does that say about people like you and those leading the charge in the preseason and early parts of the season?
    Last edited by Fletch; 10-24-2014 at 07:09 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You have an extremely high opinion of yourself.

Which can complicate things on a message board.

There are a lot of smart people here who come from varied backgrounds and have varied opinions. The best discussions happen when people realize that they can actually learn from one another.

Op is a great example. While critical, he actually reads what write to his comments and respects enough people here that he considers their viewpoint. And does all of that without telling people he is smarter than everybody else.

Which is why he is also well respected here. Not putting up with bull**** is fine. But not putting up with dissent and pretending that you are the only one that watches this game is not so productive.

Serious question - how old are you?

Based on the posting style, I'm guessing mid to late 20s. Maybe early 30s.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

9. Post thanked by:

Yasgur's Farm (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As to the original question I, like Op, don't get why we need to pigeonhole fans into some kind of category.

Fact is,we are all Bills fans. We have undergone various levels of torture and pain throughout the years. Some remember the AFL championship teams. Some remember the O-fer against Miami in the 70s. Some remember the miiddle 80s with a parade of QBs like Dufek, Ferragamo and Mathiason (three guys that make EJ look like Brady). Some remember the Super Bowl agony.

But at the end of the day we are all fans that want the team to do well. We might have different paths for the team to get there. And we might disagree as to how close they are to making those steps. But we all want them to succeed and finally win a damn Super Bow. And we are all happy that they are now staying in the Buffalo area.

Attempts to further divide Bills fans is silly and futile. It serves no purpose. There are already enough things that do that.

11. Post thanked by:

bleve (10-24-2014),OpIv37 (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Herd bull View Post
    I am a old fan both in years and years watching. Many people would call me a homer and I see nothing wrong with being one. If you are a fan you cheer for the
    team. If you don't cheer for the team then you are not a fan no matter what you claim.
    I cannot imagine that we're not all homers on Sundays.

But when there are so many areas where things break down on Sundays, it's very difficult, at least for some of us, to be homers when the games aren't on.

This notion that some of us sit around on Sunday rooting for our opponents is one of those continual slaps in the face from fellow fans that are levied with the infractors looking the other way as if they didn't do anything. I mean honestly, who wouldn't be offended at the notion of that as a fan.

As for me, I stopped actually going to games years ago for several reasons, among which but not limited to, is that feeling you have after going to a game and leaving it with a huge turd at the 50 after the team craps all over itself. When the odds of that occurring became greater than the odds of going to a well-played, well-coached game, regardless of outcome (i.e. all I'd like to see is a well played and well coached game), then I decided that it wasn't worth the time and money to go. I got tired of feeling ripped off and dejected while having to drive 2 hours back home. Another reason the regression in fan behavior that I and those that I've gone to games with have seen. Games were more fun to go to in the '80s even when we weren't much better for that reason alone.

We need a MAJOR change in how this organization does business. I hope it comes after this season.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What " Kind " of fan goes back to how long you've been on the ride.

I hopped on in 1965 as a kid in kindergarten, being taken to games by a season ticket family. I grew up in Buffalo and know the fans. I saw many down years..more than good ones.

I remember some good AFL teams, The Saban/OJ run, The vastly underrated Chuck Knox years and the great run of the late 80's to mid-90's..a couple good Wade years.

It's all about where you grew up..actual age..history..perspective.

It's like an ink blot test with 20 different descriptions of the same picture. Some have their way of looking at it and wish it to be accepted as gospel.

I'll look at the Bills the way I chose to look at them. In year 50 of viewing them and always willing to see something good happen..like Watkins catch with a second left.

14. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (10-24-2014),feldspar (10-24-2014),Yasgur's Farm (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

Here's the funny thing about it, if at the end of the season they're wrong, then maybe, just maybe, you have a case. But they haven't been. So really, what does that say about people like you and those leading the charge in the preseason and early parts of the season?
    I already have a strong case that you are a douchebag. That won't change unless your attitude changes, particularly regarding your attitude towards those you disagree with. There is a reason why many, many posters here think that, and it's not the reason you think.

I don't recall leading any kind of charge. Who is "leading the charge," and what's wrong with that?

I really don't go about saying "everybody thinks this or that," because such is not really the case, either. Not sure why you want to lump everyone or most posters into one category all the time. I don't see is as being that way all the time.
    Last edited by feldspar; 10-24-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's actually quite the opposite. I state often that it doesn't matter what any of us think, particularly myself. If you really knew me and what I write as well as you think you do then you'd know that as a solid fact.

Therein lies a huge part of the problem. You read more the name-calling directed at me and read what other people say about me that are complete lies, like I think that Watkins sucks. Never said that. But you can't even be honest enough to acknowledge that, can you? No, you can't. I don't really think that's much of a measure of a man to not be capable of being honest. This forum is full of those types. You make up what others say to overcome your own shortcomings in faulty asssessments and analysis. You can't handle being wrong so you turn on fellow fans. It happened incessantly long before I began posting here regularly, that much is obvious.

You and other have trouble handling reality, not those of us on this side of the fence.

As to what I do on game days, how I react while watching the games, what I eat, drink, etc., how the **** do you know? I don't recall seeing you at the locations where I watch the games or over at my Jets buddy's house, so what kind of presumptuous ******* do you have to be to insist that you know?

This is exactly the problem here, the intolerance of a whole bunch of people that don't read what some others write, don't care to engage beyond the headline or unsubstantiated opinion or W/L level, and yet feel compelled to slander and put down the posts of people that do.

I've never ever called anyone a name or made a poke at anyone other than in obvious good fun that hasn't first made a non-friendly dig at me. So go figure that out you conceited liar, if no one did it to me or others, guess what there Einstein, it wouldn't ever happen here.

People like you are too shallow to read or engage the likes of OP, Tackledummy, coastal, Spiked, and a bunch of others, but for some ****ing reason you self-serving narcissists always seem to know what they think without reading or engaging further.

I've taken several people on quite civilly lately upon their challenges, funny though, most of them leave those challenges hanging once I start asking the tough questions and challenging their posts. What does that say? Not much.

You think that only you want a winning team? Talk about the height of arrogance.

I actually post here because probably the single biggest thing that I enjoy is watching the self-proclaimed geniuses here stumble all over themselves as they lay out their assinine opinions. There's nothing more entertaining that the progression of opinion throughout the season here amongst you so-called better fans, except of course game day threads which as I said before resemble a 30-year timelapse of a small village of women on going through decades of PMS cycles.

Either way, once again you're wrong, you're just too stubborn, arrogant, and narcissistic to admit it.

Other than that some of us just analyze football better. Sorry to once again be the one to inform you of that. No, not all people are intellectually equal despite anyone's insistance that it's the case.
    Come down from your cross. Your problem is that you don't read other people's posts and you just cherry pick responses and ignore the ones that hurt your argument.

You aren't interested in the truth, you are interested in trying to convince people you are right.

But everyone already knows that, I'm just stating the obvious.

17. Post thanked by:

Buffalogic (10-24-2014),Bunion (10-25-2014),casdhf (10-24-2014),feldspar (10-24-2014),Yasgur's Farm (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How about the type of fan that gives credit to the team only when they lose?

Oh we lost that is because we are terrible. Oh we won? That is because the other team let one get away we didn't deserve to win.

Those people are the most precious treasures of all.

I think I fall under manic depressive btw. Sundays are just brutal for me and my poor GF that has to put up with it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    As to the original question I, like Op, don't get why we need to pigeonhole fans into some kind of category.

Fact is,we are all Bills fans. We have undergone various levels of torture and pain throughout the years. Some remember the AFL championship teams. Some remember the O-fer against Miami in the 70s. Some remember the miiddle 80s with a parade of QBs like Dufek, Ferragamo and Mathiason (three guys that make EJ look like Brady). Some remember the Super Bowl agony.

But at the end of the day we are all fans that want the team to do well. We might have different paths for the team to get there. And we might disagree as to how close they are to making those steps. But we all want them to succeed and finally win a damn Super Bow. And we are all happy that they are now staying in the Buffalo area.

Attempts to further divide Bills fans is silly and futile. It serves no purpose. There are already enough things that do that.
    I fully agree. But apparently you miss all the posts initiating people in the early part of the season as trolls, etc.

My reactions to posts really aren't the issue. Op complains about the same things but handles it differently maybe. That doesn't address the core problem now, does it.

I don't insist that I'm more intelligent than any particular poster, but tell me, when I have in my signature Whaley himself quoted and on video saying that drafting Manuel was his idea, and moreover saying that he should be the one that bears full responsibility and even look for a new job if Manuel doesn't work out (as he hasn't just by the way), and posters continually challenge me and say that Manuel was Nix's decision, in your view is that an opinion, because it's definitely not a fact, worthy of respect as an intelligent position?

Like I said, unintelligent statements make themselves. There are many homers here that are not unintelligent, but they say some of the most unintelligent things at times. We're all wrong, but there has to be a basis upon which people make statements.

There are two types of posters here, generally speaking that is. The first type is those that either read something or independently determine that "our RBs are elite" for example, or our WRs are tops in the NFL. The basis for it is shallow, as we've now seen on those two topics, yet they throw it out there and the second that someone CIVILLY introduces a contrary opinion they are labeled "trolls" called names, slandered, maligned, etc.

You seem to ignore that in your patrolling of the forum to start, but then also ignore that maybe some fans don't enjoy being treated like that.

On the other side, I'm making a post to you now, no one else, if someone doesn't want to read it, fine, but then to say that they didn't read it but simultaneously know what it says is absurd. But to the point, fine, don't read it, but why the need to comment negatively if they're not interested in reading it?

In the meantime if the person that I engaged wants to engage further, great, let's do it. Trap and I just had an exchange on Watkins. No problem. Now if he comes back and calls me a name, problem, and why shouldn't it be?

The one thing that you ignore is that I'm civil with everyone unless they first turn on me.

You say that you and Op don't get why we need to pigeonhole fans into some kind of category. I'm with you there. But who is the first group to pigeonhole anyone? It's the rosy-eyed people that claim we're going to the playoffs and refuse to listen to anyone else's comments on why caution might be exercised.

I don't recall reading anywhere about this forum to "enter only if you think we're a good team."

Here's the thing, if those people were so right, then maybe they would be justified in their views. Right?

But season after season after season for what now, 15 years, OK, at least 10, they haven't been. So what right do they have to segregate the fans prematurely into ones that are "pessimists"? Haven't we as fans earned the right to be pessimistic?

Op would not agree with you, I don't think, that that isn't the very first division being made here. Neither would any of the others that are classified as pessimists or any other variation of that.

It all rolls from there if you ask me.

I'll admit that I throw out the term "everyone" far too readily and for that I can claim fault. But it stems from situations where I'll post something, even this for example, and there will be a string of posts not addressing any of the content within that post but only slamming me. It happens to others as well.

At some point it just becomes overwhelming and who has time to sift through to see who said what. People don't read it anyway.

There is a "going opinion" in this forum. What I mean by that is that in the preseason the prevalent opinion is typically far more optimistic than it should be. As the season starts usually there too. Then as reality seems to kick in, as many seem to realize will happen but simply ignore until it does, then that prevailing opinion begins to be downgraded.

Usually by the end of the season the people classified as optimists often make the pessimists appear to be optimistic. The ones that haven't changed are the so-called pessimists. Our views, opinions, and analyses are stable and consistent within a reasonable margin of error. The ironic thing is that at the end one of our typical recent seasons anyone not wanting to destroy OBD doesn't know what they're talking about.

My point is simply this, that any opinions that go against the prevailing ones at any given time, which are an enormous moving and evolving one, are met with less than civil responses.

Take this exchange between you and I for example. You said something in a very civil tone and I think I'm answering you in a very civil tone. That's how I post. But if you had said that I'm an *******, which is why I ignored your prior post, then perhaps I wouldn't have been as civil in my reply. But note that I ignored it.

I appreciate your stated opinion in this post, but I will also tell you that you ignore, both in discussion as well as in patroling here, the little jabs by others that have no basis in the original content of the thread yet that cause these threads to disintegrate rapidly.

One example is that I'll post a poll. It's a simple question with no commentary. Yet, people overreact and go bananas and start saying things and calling me names. It was a simple question, such as "Is Manuel a Bust?" Why should that question spark that kind of stuff? Why? Answer that and you'll start seeing much more of the problem.

In the meantime, after all the names I was called, three weeks later most people agree, and on top of that, all of a sudden articles that I've posted for two years from draft day to now, all of a sudden "we should have seen." Well, since they were presented here, numerous times (20?), why weren't they?

They were, but they were ignored. So you can figure out what that says about the matter, how people respond, as well as corporate intelligence.

The intollerance here is primarily fueled by anything that goes against the prevailing opinions, which more often than not early in the season are not based on facts.

I will make a conscious effort to not use the term "everyone" or mass categorize posters though in the future. I don't mean anything by it and I use the term very very generally although there's no way that anyone can know that unless they know me. It's a common criticism of me that I will directly attempt to address here moving ahead. But apart from that consider what I said because I think you've got a lot of it backwards.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
    Come down from your cross. Your problem is that you don't read other people's posts and you just cherry pick responses and ignore the ones that hurt your argument.
    That's ridiculous. People state often that they don't read my posts. Fine, but then they shouldn't respond as if they did. Right?

I read every post that I reply to, and exactly as in this case will call out the part that I'm responding to.

A ridiculously invalid conclusion on your part.

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I took a knife to my leg after the Cowboys beat us 52-17 in SB #3 and drew blood I was so pissed and depressed. So not sure which one I am, I didn't see that on the list.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I already have a strong case that you are a douchebag. That won't change unless your attitude changes, particularly regarding your attitude towards those you disagree with. There is a reason why many, many posters here think that, and it's not the reason you think.
    Nothing here will ever change until such a time as the mob doesn't call anyone and everything that doesn't agree with the majority of posters a troll and other assorted things. That's always the first stone cast. The rest cascades from there.

I realize won't see it that way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I love the Bills.

I have been to every home game for the last 14 years.

I have fun regardless and don't let them ruin my life either way.

While at the game I am an emotional roller coaster (anyone sitting near me can attest to that)

24. Post thanked by:

Fletch (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I'll look at the Bills the way I chose to look at them. In year 50 of viewing them and always willing to see something good happen..like Watkins catch with a second left.
    I don't think that there's a fan here that didn't cheer when that catch was made. I know I did. I was jacked.

But here's the difference, then the game ends and we analyze it here, and part of that analysis is why did we need a last second catch in a home game against Minnesota, featuring a QB that hadn't even thrown a TD in the NFL, and a rookie RB who's playing in his first season in the NFL and a defense that has no particular strength just to win the game.

I guess some of us are fine sitting here all week until the next game gloating over a game winning drive to post our third score of the game against a team that scored more against our "#1 rushing defense" than they have in 4 of their other 6 games, in our backyard, in a game that we really needed to put away without any issues, while others of us realize that such play isn't matching what we're being told about being a playoff team, or even a #1 rushing D, which is now #5 and could be out of the top 10 if we can't stop the Jets from running on us like they did last season or against NE last week.

Watkins play was great on Sunday, but the play of the rest of the team with only one or two exceptions was not good and far from good enough to win us more games if it doesn't change.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think that there's a fan here that didn't cheer when that catch was made. I know I did. I was jacked.

But here's the difference, then the game ends and we analyze it here, and part of that analysis is why did we need a last second catch in a home game against Minnesota, featuring a QB that hadn't even thrown a TD in the NFL, and a rookie RB who's playing in his first season in the NFL and a defense that has no particular strength just to win the game.

I guess some of us are fine sitting here all week until the next game gloating over a game winning drive to post our third score of the game against a team that scored more against our "#1 rushing defense" than they have in 4 of their other 6 games, in our backyard, in a game that we really needed to put away without any issues, while others of us realize that such play isn't matching what we're being told about being a playoff team, or even a #1 rushing D, which is now #5 and could be out of the top 10 if we can't stop the Jets from running on us like they did last season or against NE last week.

Watkins play was great on Sunday, but the play of the rest of the team with only one or two exceptions was not good and far from good enough to win us more games if it doesn't change.
    My buddies and I went nuts when we won the game but walking out we did say that we should have killed that team and got lucky. The crowd wasn't as amped on the way out as you might have expected for such an exciting win.

27. Post thanked by:

Fletch (10-24-2014)

SpikedLemonade

I am a fan who just needs to see hope in the future success of his team.

Even if the Bills improve to 8-8 this year, we are so vulnerable that I don't see us going to 10-6 next year.

29. Post thanked by:

Fletch (10-24-2014)