Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Statement Game

Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Statement Game

This is like NE to Buffalo week 6 all over again, only this time the Jets play the role of the Bills and Bills play the role of the Pats.

Week 6 the Bills viewed it as a must win, but the Pats rose up and put the Bills in their place. Can the Bills do the same to the Jets in game 8?

2. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

geno had a decent game in NJ with 2 TD and 330yards... they won despite 20 penalties in that game.

then he came to buffalo and had 8 completions 3 INTs and just melted down to 108 yards passing. the bills ran away.

to me it really comes down to how crazy geno is going to be. When he has time, he makes the right read and throws fairly accurately. Other times,he just gets way in over his head and isn't in the right zipcode. i don't know which one shows up.

- he's thrown at least one int in every game but the patriots game.
    - they didn't crush oakland at home and that was his best game with a 96 qbr.
    - they throw a lot and lose. oakland he threw 28 times and won. Every other game with the exception of oakland where he was yanked, he's thrown 30+ times.

at some point, someone with sense in NJ needs to say "let's use our backs and use our #5 rushing attack to take the pressure off our volatile QB". but i think morningweg will want to try his new toy and make harvin happy with a number of targets. hopefully we can disrupt that with good pressure and making it hard for the two of them to be on the same page.

I also think if the jets start slowly, their crowd is going to eat them alive.

4. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-24-2014),Historian (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    geno had a decent game in NJ with 2 TD and 330yards... they won despite 20 penalties in that game.

then he came to buffalo and had 8 completions 3 INTs and just melted down to 108 yards passing. the bills ran away.

to me it really comes down to how crazy geno is going to be.
    If you remember, the Jets victory last year when our entire secondary was out...and I mean our ENTIRE secondary, except for Aaron Williams, who was forced into playing cornerback. Justin Rogers gave up the majority of those yards on a handful of plays.

6. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-24-2014),trapezeus (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    If you remember, the Jets victory last year when our entire secondary was out...and I mean our ENTIRE secondary, except for Aaron Williams, who was forced into playing cornerback. Justin Rogers gave up the majority of those yards on a handful of plays.
    But our O-Line wasn't as bad then as now.

8. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

to me it really comes down to how crazy geno is going to be. When he has time, he makes the right read and throws fairly accurately. Other times,he just gets way in over his head and isn't in the right zipcode. i don't know which one shows up.

- he's thrown at least one int in every game but the patriots game.
    - they didn't crush oakland at home and that was his best game with a 96 qbr.
    - they throw a lot and lose. oakland he threw 28 times and won. Every other game with the exception of oakland where he was yanked, he's thrown 30+ times.

at some point, someone with sense in NJ needs to say "let's use our backs and use our #5 rushing attack to take the pressure off our volatile QB". but i think morningweg will want to try his new toy and make harvin happy with a number of targets. hopefully we can disrupt that with good pressure and making it hard for the two of them to be on the same page.

I also think if the jets start slowly, their crowd is going to eat them alive.
    The Bills were decimated in the secondary the first game against the Jets last year & still almost won that game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i forgot about the justin rogers game.

i think we got help from 20 penalties on the jets. maybe it was a little less, but they kept us in it with bad penalties. and i remember thinking that some of it was like we were the patriots. we were getting calls for no reason whatso ever. it was kind of fun to be the patriots.

at the end, i don't think the jets are as bad as 1-6. it will be very meaningful for the bills to win. if they can, to me that signifies some improvement. maybe beating the pats is more of a final step...winning a game we should on the road, before a bye to keep ourselves in it might be a more realistic target than trying to be the division leader from start to finish.

if they lose this game, in my opinion, it will be a complete status quo move and another nail in the coffin if pegula and his consultants are thinking about big changes.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    But our O-Line wasn't as bad then as now.
    Urbik is back & Orton makes the OL look worse than it really is with his legs of stone & lack of clock in his head.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post

I like Rex myself, & would be happy to have him as the HC of my team as long as he had a GOOD OC.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We have 16 Statement games every season.

14. Post thanked by:

pmoon6 (10-25-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i forgot about the justin rogers game.

i think we got help from 20 penalties on the jets. maybe it was a little less, but they kept us in it with bad penalties. and i remember thinking that some of it was like we were the patriots. we were getting calls for no reason whatso ever. it was kind of fun to be the patriots.

at the end, i don't think the jets are as bad as 1-6. it will be very meaningful for the bills to win. if they can, to me that signifies some improvement. maybe beating the pats is more of a final step...winning a game we should on the road, before a bye to keep ourselves in it might be a more realistic target than trying to be the division leader from start to finish.

if they lose this game, in my opinion, it will be a complete status quo move and another nail in the coffin if pegula and his consultants are thinking about big changes.
    Well, everyone forgets about injuries just a little down the road.

The only thing there in black & white is the won lost record.

NOBODY remembers all the injured players on the teams the Pats* have beaten over the years, just the fact the Pats* won those games.

And this is why fletch has no point when he brings up the injuries to players on teams the Bills have beaten.

EVERY team has injuries.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER View Post
    Wow! Don't know what to say about this statement. Who in their right mind would want that clown of a coach, total blowhard, creates distractions, likes to lick toes. No thank you
    Yeah, I'm sure you would rather have a sourpuss cheating rat bastard like Belicheat as your HC.

Say what you want about Rex. He is a Defensive genius & players love to play for him.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Say what you want about Rex. He is a Defensive genius & players love to play for him.
    which is why he should be nothing more than a DC.

Players loved playing for Jauron too.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't give us much of a shot in this game. The injuries, the Jets, the road… all don't bode well.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

19. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-24-2014),YardRat (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Statement game? Nah. The Statement game was the 'We just lost to the ****ing Buffalo Bills' game last year, and that was much more for the quote than the outcome. The NFL world doesn't shake if the Bills beat the Jets or vice versa. Hell, to the ESPN crowd the AFC East all just for making sure that Prince Thomas of Brady gets his first round bye.

Win the game because they're a division opponent, because they're from Jersey and because it's the ****ing Jets.

21. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (10-24-2014)

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

a 1-6 team is never 'better than their record'.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

I'm right, Miyagi is wrong. HAMMER's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, I'm sure you would rather have a sourpuss cheating rat bastard like Belicheat as your HC.

Yes I would rather have Belichick than Ryan, every day of every week. Who in their right mind wouldn't?

24. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This team doesn't have a good record in "statement games."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post
    a 1-6 team is never 'better than their record'.
    i don't know if i agree with that. you take out the pats and the green bay games, games they could have easily won, they are in the hunt with everyone else. they could have won any of those games except the SD game. they are in most of the games until late. they can win and be a hard team to play.

good bad teams exist.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
    The Pats game was a statement game and we didn't show up, so that ship has sailed.

This is just a game where we must win to hang on to our slim playoff hopes. If they lose, seeya it ain't happening.

That's not just being negative, that's just a plain ole' unfortunate reality.
    L.
    O.
    L.

The only thing worse than the product the Bills have put on the field for the past 14 years, is the generation of fans that the losing has spawned.

Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelieveable.

*be one game back from a first round bye*
    *have 9 games remaining*
    *have slim playoff hopes*

*****ing Bills fans man.
    I swear, why do people even watch the games if this is the way they think?

ONE GAME BACK FROM A FIRST ROUND BYE!!!!!

ok ok ok, let's hear it losers. Tell me why we're not one game back from a first round bye. Tell me why every other team in the conference with 2 or 3 losses is so much better than us.

Just *****ing get a 6 pack, watch the game, enjoy it if we win, and go on with your week.

This guy says we have SLIM PLAYOFF HOPES, and we're a game back from a first round bye.

I've literally seen it all. It's just sad that people actually think this way.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    which is why he should be nothing more than a DC.

Players loved playing for Jauron too.
    Well, I think so far, Rex has made better game day decisions than Marrone has.

Hell, maybe Jauron did as well.