Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Statement Game

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGold View Post
    L.
    O.
    L.

The only thing worse than the product the Bills have put on the field for the past 14 years, is the generation of fans that the losing has spawned.

Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelieveable.

*be one game back from a first round bye*
    *have 9 games remaining*
    *have slim playoff hopes*

*****ing Bills fans man.
    I swear, why do people even watch the games if this is the way they think?

ONE GAME BACK FROM A FIRST ROUND BYE!!!!!

ok ok ok, let's hear it losers. Tell me why we're not one game back from a first round bye. Tell me why every other team in the conference with 2 or 3 losses is so much better than us.

Just *****ing get a 6 pack, watch the game, enjoy it if we win, and go on with your week.

This guy says we have SLIM PLAYOFF HOPES, and we're a game back from a first round bye.

I've literally seen it all. It's just sad that people actually think this way.
    Check back in January.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Urbik is back & Orton makes the OL look worse than it really is with his legs of stone & lack of clock in his head.
    Holy vanilla fudge. Where did you pull that out of, better days?

You're blaming Orton for the O-line problems?

You're joking, right?

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,468 Times in 9,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Any win here will be a good win, it's a statement game for the Jets in their house. They have a very good defense, they looked real good against New England in New England, Geno Smith amazed me by looking darn good (in that game, not sure it lasts). If we don't let them get away with it, it's a good thing.

New England was a statement game for us at the Ralph. All roads to respectable for us lead through the Division champ that owns us. Best chance to beat them was here.

Urbik is going to be rusty because they planted him on the pines ridiculously for so long, and Pears is still not a guard, so you're basically turning that mad blitzing, people coming from everywhere and anywhere Ryan-tree defense (that has feasted on the volume of film of the Bills o-line struggling with stunts so woefully this season) loose against the poor Orton, and we'll be lucky if he's not damaged.

This would be a good win on the road, and "should be" a win, but the statement games are against the big boys and this is really not a terrible team we are playing.

If we do win, it will be a gritty low scoring smash mouth game, and Bryce Brown/Boobie Dixon will have to pound them into losing alongside a merciless top of the line defensive performance.

The Jets are not that great, but they are not that terrible either.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Big road test against a desperate team, that's for sure. The offense is going to have to protect the ball, and it's going to be interesting to see what poison Schwartz picks. Will he load up against the run and dare Smith to beat them through the air, or will he play off a little minimize Geno's opportunities like he did against Minnesota?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    Holy vanilla fudge. Where did you pull that out of, better days?

You're blaming Orton for the O-line problems?

You're joking, right?
    Orton keeps his OL HANGING ON...Vanilla Fudge reference for you young guys.

Orton has been sacked twice as much as EJ was.

Orton is a Bledsoe like statue that holds the ball too long.

I'm not saying the Bills can't win with him or that EJ would be a better option at this point.

What I am saying is because of his limitations, Kyle makes the OL look worse than EJ did.
    Last edited by better days; 10-24-2014 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    Check back in January.
    for what?

if they miss the playoffs, youll be happy because you were right and the bills arent good.

if they make the playoffs and lose in the wild card round, people will be mad because we're keeping marrone next year, and the fans will think that with marrone at coach and orton at qb, we can't do anything more than luck into a wild card.

if they lose in the divisional round, people will be upset because we're a solid team that lucked into a wildcard round win, but doesnt have a high enough draft pick to get that missing piece to propel us to "truly elite," and we'll be stuck as a middling team forever.

if they lose in the afc championship game, people will be upset because we have too many veterans along the defensive line, and orton is too old to build around, so our ceiling will always be just below denver or new england, until luck and dalton take over the conference, and therefor the bills will never make the super bowl.

if we lose in the super bowl, people will be upset because we made it to the big dance based purely on luck of the draw, caught new england in a down year, and rode homefield advantage in the first round to an upset over the patriots, and chanced into 2 more lucky victories. they will say that the team as it is currently constructed can never win a super bowl, and the loss will set us back like the 90-93 losses did, by making us think there is more talent on the team than there actually is, and we will be perpetually stuck as runner ups.

if we win the super bowl, people will complain that we have no succession plan in place for orton, and that we dont have enough money to resign hughes, spiller, and all the free agents that will come due in the summer of 16. people will complain that the bills sacrificed long term success for a one-off championship just like the florida marlins, and now we're going to have to suffer for another 14 years, so enjoy it for 20 minutes (while it lasts) because the future of the bills is dark.

honestly--it's come to this.

when the bills can be at (almost) the halfway point of the year, a game back from a first round bye, and people are saying things like
    "slim playoff hopes"
    and
    "check back in january"

what's the point of discussing them on here.

I'm enjoying this season IMMENSELY. yet every time i come online, i find myself trying to fugure out whats wrong with my head for thinking its fun to watch the bills in 2014.

at 4-3, with the division and a bye in play, i've realized: nothing is wrong with me.

i'm watching a game.
    the bills are playing well.
    it's fun.
    you guys are idiots.

it's as simple as that.

7. Post thanked by:

Historian (10-26-2014),pmoon6 (10-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What I am saying is because of his limitations, Kyle makes the OL look worse than EJ did.
    IF that's true, maybe it's because Orton actually goes through his reads and looks to throw the ball in the intermediate-to-long range a lot more than EJ ever did. EJ rarely saw the whole field and was too anxious to check down or lock onto his first read. EJ's limitations are a hell of a lot worse than Orton's. Orton is basically a pocket passer, but he's nowhere near the statue Bledsoe was.

Orton plays the position more like it's meant to be played as compared to EJ.

Sure, Orton holds onto the ball too long sometimes, but I really don't think he's done that more than EJ. I saw plays where he didn't have a chance from the get-go. Either way, the Bills are better off with Orton with the same line. Replacing Richardson with Urbik will help. Orton having more experience in this offense should help.
    Last edited by feldspar; 10-24-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    IF that's true, maybe it's because Orton actually goes through his reads and looks to throw the ball in the intermediate-to-long range a lot more than EJ ever did. EJ rarely saw the whole field and was too anxious to check down or lock onto his first read. EJ's limitations are a hell of a lot worse than Orton's. Orton is basically a pocket passer, but he's nowhere near the statue Bledsoe was.

Sure, Orton holds onto the ball too long sometimes, but I really don't think he's done that more than EJ. I saw plays where he didn't have a chance from the get-go. Either way, the Bills are better off with Orton with the same line. Replacing Richardson with Urbik will help. Orton having more experience in this offense should help.
    If you can, go back & look at the games EJ played in this year.

EJ avoided sacks due to his mobility. Kyle gets sacked because he has NO mobility.

I agree, the Bills are better off with Orton than EJ at this point, but if Orton just had a little mobility, he would be a much better QB than he is.

And Orton plays the position like it was meant to be played 30 years ago...not in todays NFL.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

EJ avoided sacks due to his mobility. Kyle gets sacked because he has NO mobility.

I agree, the Bills are better off with Orton than EJ at this point, but if Orton just had a little mobility, he would be a much better QB than he is.

And Orton plays the position like it was meant to be played 30 years ago...not in todays NFL.
    30 years ago? What? C'mon now. Probably the best couple of quarterbacks in the game today don't have more mobility than Orton.

Orton doesn't have NO mobility. And I think you mistake EJ's "mobility" for what it really is sometimes, which is giving up too soon on a play...sensing pressure when it really isn't there yet...not fully understanding the situation for whatever reason. Then he tries to get the hell out of there too soon. Also, I think that they were trying to turn EJ into a pure pocket passer (or thereabouts) when that really isn't the way he's totally geared...not really the way he approaches the game naturally. "Watch your knees."

I think Orton is more able to SENSE pressure and naturally step up in the pocket, drop back, or roll out. That's what you want most often, even in today's game. Or even just get rid of the ball quicker by design.

Smarts and accuracy are WAY more important than mobility in the long run. Balls help.
    Last edited by feldspar; 10-24-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady respectfully disagree.

12. Post thanked by:

Thurmal (10-25-2014)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Throw all the stats and BS out the window for this one.

Regardless of the perceived strength of the respective teams, the Jets games are usually tough, hard fought affairs...at least if history is any indicator.

14. Post thanked by:

YardRat (10-25-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

30 years ago? What? C'mon now. Probably the best couple of quarterbacks in the game today don't have more mobility than Orton.

Orton doesn't have NO mobility. And I think you mistake EJ's "mobility" for what it really is sometimes, which is giving up too soon on a play...sensing pressure when it really isn't there yet...not fully understanding the situation for whatever reason. Then he tries to get the hell out of there too soon. Also, I think that they were trying to turn EJ into a pure pocket passer (or thereabouts) when that really isn't the way he's totally geared...not really the way he approaches the game naturally. "Watch your knees."

I think Orton is more able to SENSE pressure and naturally step up in the pocket, drop back, or roll out. That's what you want most often, even in today's game. Or even just get rid of the ball quicker by design.

Smarts and accuracy are WAY more important than mobility in the long run. Balls help.
    So I suppose Manning & Brady give up on a play too soon as well.

Neither of them gets sacked like Orton does.

And don't tell me it is because they have a better OL in front of them, I would bet Orton would be sacked just as often behind the Pats* OL as he is behind the Bills.

This reminds me of Rob Johnson & Doug Flutie. Rob made the OL look terrible with all the sacks he took.

When Flutie came in, he moved around & got rid of the ball fast & the OL looked much better.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not sure what to think about Orton, and I'm not taking a side in this discussion between you and better days, but while it's rare I will agree with bd on the notion that Orton is taking far too many sacks.

I don't know if he'll end up setting a team record for sacks taken, but right now he's taking more sacks per-game than any other QB in Bills history.

If sacks are that relevant when we look at our D, then they have to also be equally relevant when we talk about sustaining them.

I will add this point to the discussion between you two, our offense hasn't been any more potent in terms of scoring than it was with Manuel in there, which is mindboggling. The only conclusion that I've come to regarding that is that at least a part of that has to do with drives ended due to sacks taken.

Orton's no immobile, but he appears to be below average in terms of mobility.

Otherwise, I think what's happened here is that the offense has gotten googly-eyed over having a better passer in there and have put much more of their planning into passing the ball and taken the rushing out of the game-planning, or at least they're calling it that way on game days.

It is somewhat perplexing because this team should be scoring more with Orton, but Red Zone production and scoring are no better. Third down conversions and total # of 1st downs are not significantly higher if they're better at all.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So I suppose Manning & Brady give up on a play too soon as well.

Neither of them gets sacked like Orton does.

And don't tell me it is because they have a better OL in front of them, I would bet Orton would be sacked just as often behind the Pats* OL as he is behind the Bills.

This reminds me of Rob Johnson & Doug Flutie. Rob made the OL look terrible with all the sacks he took.

When Flutie came in, he moved around & got rid of the ball fast & the OL looked much better.
    Man, if you look at Orton's sack numbers throughout his career, they are not that high.

If you really want to compare EJ Manuel with Orton, Manuel has actually been sacked at a greater rate than Orton has throughout his career.

And Orton hasn't really been playing behind the same line as EJ.

If you want to know why the line seems worse with Orton in there, look no further than this guy...or at least start here:

Cyril Richardson has started every game Orton has, and he's been absolutely putrid. He's only started one game with EJ at QB...you know, the game which was the last straw leading EJ to the bench. J.J. Watt basically won the Bills/Texans game for Houston, IMO. You know something is wrong when fans are screaming for Urbik to start...
    Last edited by feldspar; 10-25-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Man, if you look at Orton's sack numbers throughout his career, they are not that high.

If you really want to compare EJ Manuel with Orton, Manuel has actually been sacked at a greater rate than Orton has throughout his career.

And Orton hasn't really been playing behind the same line as EJ.

If you want to know why the line seems worse with Orton in there, look no further than this guy...or at least start here:

Cyril Richardson has started every game Orton has, and he's been absolutely putrid. He's only started one game with EJ at QB...you know, the game which was the last straw leading EJ to the bench. J.J. Watt basically won the Bills/Texans game for Houston, IMO. You know something is wrong when fans are screaming for Urbik to start...
    OK, Orbik is playing Sunday, I hope you are right & Orton doesn't get sacked once.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

OK, Orbik is playing Sunday, I hope you are right & Orton doesn't get sacked once.
    I'm pretty sure he'll get sacked by that Rex Ryan defense. At least I have confidence that Orton doesn't rattle too easily. I really think that the battle up front on both sides of the ball will have a lot to do with how the game plays out, even more so than usual.

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We make a statement by beating New England, Denver, or Green Bay. We don't need a statement, but for all the reasons you mentioned we need a W and we need to go into the bye with no further injuries. I kinda like a team that wins ugly and knows how to win gritty --see my love of the hometown baseball club, Kansas City Royals -- because that is the type of team that kicks ass when it gets all the tools in place. So just get me a gritty win. 5-3, and then come back beat KC, Cleveland, Miami, the Jets again, Oakland and any one of the games against Green Bay, New England, and Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Panic View Post
    We are a 3 point dog going on the road to play a 1 win team. The metrics speak to how we might be in trouble this week. A loss here puts us at 4-4 going into the bye, thinking about an opportunity squandered, and squarely on the outside looking in for the playoff picture.

A win though, a decisive win at that, could really be the difference in setting us up for a second half run. This team needs another dominant win, a la the Miami game, although without the Kelly and Pegula news/home opener wind at our back and on the road.

This isn't a must win game. We're still a ways from that kind of talk. But it is an opportunity. A chance to kick this Jets team squarely in the nuts and build the kind of confidence we're going to need to keep the pace with the rest of the conference.

I hope the boys are beyond amped this Sunday. I hope they're throwing haymakers all day and showing no mercy. I want to see us win by 20. It may be just 1 of 16, but to me it presents a huge chance to make the kind of statement we need to make.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well, everyone forgets about injuries just a little down the road.

The only thing there in black & white is the won lost record.

NOBODY remembers all the injured players on the teams the Pats* have beaten over the years, just the fact the Pats* won those games.

And this is why fletch has no point when he brings up the injuries to players on teams the Bills have beaten.

EVERY team has injuries.

Amen. That is what I've been saying to Fletch all along. This is the NFL. The teams with the best qb's and the most depth are the teams that usually make the playoffs

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"Legs Of Stone" reminds me of the "Statue" tag Bledsoe got from dumbass Bills' Fans.

Bledsoe was the best QB we had since Kelly and alot better than what we had after. The guy threw for 45,000 career yards and is a possibly HOF material.

Yet, lots of Bills' Fans panned and hated him.

That speaks volumes.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Holy crap...13 sacks in three games is a LOT...a lot more than I thought. But 300 YPG is a lot too. Far more than EJ could possibly muster with his dinks and dunks.

This game scares me. The Bills will try to establish the running game without their two best backs. Failing that, the Jets will pin their ears back and come at Orton.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

24. Post thanked by:

YardRat (10-26-2014)