Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Statement Game

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Statement Game

We are a 3 point dog going on the road to play a 1 win team. The metrics speak to how we might be in trouble this week. A loss here puts us at 4-4 going into the bye, thinking about an opportunity squandered, and squarely on the outside looking in for the playoff picture.

A win though, a decisive win at that, could really be the difference in setting us up for a second half run. This team needs another dominant win, a la the Miami game, although without the Kelly and Pegula news/home opener wind at our back and on the road.

This isn't a must win game. We're still a ways from that kind of talk. But it is an opportunity. A chance to kick this Jets team squarely in the nuts and build the kind of confidence we're going to need to keep the pace with the rest of the conference.

I hope the boys are beyond amped this Sunday. I hope they're throwing haymakers all day and showing no mercy. I want to see us win by 20. It may be just 1 of 16, but to me it presents a huge chance to make the kind of statement we need to make.

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-24-2014),ublinkwescore (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Statement Game

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Panic View Post

This isn't a must win game. We're still a ways from that kind of talk.
    for a team that hasn't made playoffs in 14 years, this is a must win. Maybe not mathematically but historically.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 10-24-2014 at 08:33 AM.

4. Post thanked by:

better days (10-24-2014),BillsImpossible (10-24-2014),djjimkelly (10-24-2014),IlluminatusUIUC (10-24-2014),Novacane (10-24-2014),ublinkwescore (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Panic View Post
    We are a 3 point dog going on the road to play a 1 win team. The metrics speak to how we might be in trouble this week. A loss here puts us at 4-4 going into the bye, thinking about an opportunity squandered, and squarely on the outside looking in for the playoff picture.

A win though, a decisive win at that, could really be the difference in setting us up for a second half run. This team needs another dominant win, a la the Miami game, although without the Kelly and Pegula news/home opener wind at our back and on the road.

This isn't a must win game. We're still a ways from that kind of talk. But it is an opportunity. A chance to kick this Jets team squarely in the nuts and build the kind of confidence we're going to need to keep the pace with the rest of the conference.

I hope the boys are beyond amped this Sunday. I hope they're throwing haymakers all day and showing no mercy. I want to see us win by 20. It may be just 1 of 16, but to me it presents a huge chance to make the kind of statement we need to make.
    I'll disagree that we need a dominant win. This is a division game and anything can happen. A 1-point win is fine as long as we play competently as I see it.

What is critical, IMO, is for the offense to put up some points for a change. We made this change to Orton which so far has only resulted in the diminishment of the running game, with FredEx and Spiller, more passing yards, but not more points.

Our passing D isn't very good apart from logging sacks and INTs again. Our rushing D plays well against inferior RBs but otherwise not so much.

I also disagree that this is not a must-win game if we expect to go 8-8 or better. We may not win a single game in December and our schedule features no team that we can afford to look past given last week's play. Of the four easiest games we have left three are divisional, twice against the Jets and one in Miami, two of the three being road games.

We're not going to beat NE, Denver, or GB, all cold weather teams, in December. Three of our December games are on the road.

Going into our bye week, which is positioned perfectly this season, at 4-4 is a recipe to finish 6-10 again.

This is a must-win game.
    Last edited by Fletch; 10-24-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

6. Post thanked by:

ParanoidAndroid (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

WIN THE ****ING GAME PLEASE. THE JETS HAVE 1 WIN FOR CHRISTS SAKE

8. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (10-24-2014),HAMMER (10-24-2014),Historian (10-24-2014),Novacane (10-24-2014),ublinkwescore (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Our passing D isn't very good apart from logging sacks and INTs again. Our rushing D plays well against inferior RBs but otherwise not so much.
    Uh, pretty sure that is good for a Pass Defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

10. Post thanked by:

better days (10-24-2014),BillsImpossible (10-24-2014),djjimkelly (10-24-2014),Jry44 (10-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    for a team that hasn't made playoffs in 14 years, this is a must win. Maybe not mathematically but historically.
    I said this in a different thread, a win against the Jets & the Bills will have a winning record at the half way point of the season.

When is the last time that happened?

A win Sunday would be historical.

12. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-24-2014),ublinkwescore (10-24-2014)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,074 Times in 15,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's a game they can and should win, but it usually ends up being a comedy of errors when we go to Jersey:

Multiple turnovers by both teams.
    Special teams disasters.
    Missed kicks.

And so on and so forth.

If the Bills win, Jet management is going to be kicking themselves for giving Coach Foot Fetish an extension.

I think it's a must win for them, which worries me a bit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by casdhf View Post
    And the Bills Defense is damn good at stopping the other teams Offense from putting points on the board.

At the start of the season, people not only said the Bears would beat the Bills, but the Bears would blow out the Bills.

That kind of talk continued for a few more games, but now nobody is saying the Bills are going to get blown out of a game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    It's a game they can and should win, but it usually ends up being a comedy of errors when we go to Jersey:

Multiple turnovers by both teams.
    Special teams disasters.
    Missed kicks.

And so on and so forth.

If the Bills win, Jet management is going to be kicking themselves for giving Coach Foot Fetish an extension.

I think it's a must win for them, which worries me a bit.
    Rex did not get a long extension & the talk is he is coaching for his football life in NY.

I like Rex myself, & would be happy to have him as the HC of my team as long as he had a GOOD OC.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Jets are better than their record IMO, and they are desperate for a win at this point. "Win one for Rex" at home or whatever. Coming off a Thursday Night game (which they should have won), the Jets have a few more days to prepare than the Bills. They have a good defense; in fact, I think that this game has all the earmarks of a defensive battle. The over/under in this game is lower than any other game in week 8.

I see it as a must-win game. There should be no talk about the playoffs for quite a while if we lose this game, with a lot of ground to make up...probably too much. A divisional game is HUGE, especially in the spot the Bills are in. They are 1-3 in the conference, so that doesn't bode well for any tiebreakers in Wildcard scenarios, much less winning the division. Personally, I'd like to entertain those thoughts for a longer period of time. Whatever happens is going to linger for two weeks, through the bye.

Looking at it, I think the difference may be turnovers and penalties if it turns out to be the defensive battle it seems to be on paper. At any rate, I think those two things will be key. Protect the football and don't make stupid mistakes. The refs are sure to piss me off, but that's nothing new. It'll be interesting to see how our new running game looks, and they do have a challenge against this Jets defense in that regard. The Bills need to protect Orton so he can exploit that vulnerable Jets secondary...running the ball well would obviously help that.

Scoring first would be big.

17. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-24-2014),Mace (10-24-2014),YardRat (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Pats game was a statement game and we didn't show up, so that ship has sailed.

This is just a game where we must win to hang on to our slim playoff hopes. If they lose, seeya it ain't happening.

That's not just being negative, that's just a plain ole' unfortunate reality.

19. Post thanked by:

Fletch (10-24-2014),Jry44 (10-24-2014),Mace (10-24-2014),trapezeus (10-24-2014)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,009 Times in 4,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Like Historian said, it's more of a must win for the Jets than it is the Bills. Rex and company are desperate for a win. I think the Bills are gonna be in tough this week. Anyone expecting a blowout has expectations that are way to high.

Find a way to win. A road divisional win would be huge.

A loss would not cripple the season, regardless of what some will tell you. 4-4 after the bye is still a very good spot to be in, Wild Card wise.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post

A loss would not cripple the season, regardless of what some will tell you. 4-4 after the bye is still a very good spot to be in, Wild Card wise.
    Maybe sometimes, but with a loss, the Bills would be 1-2 in the division and 1-4 in the conference. That's not good for a Wildcard tiebreaker scenario, like I said.

And a late push will be difficult, to say the least. The December schedule is brutal. Three of the four final games are on the road. We have to play AT Denver and AT New England. We also have to play Green Bay.

It's very important that the Bills make 5-3. Anything can happen later, but this team isn't good enough to climb out of any hole IMO. They need to make a run in the next five-game stretch, feeling good going into the bye. After the bye, the Bills have 3 out of the next 4 games at home, all games winnable IMO. We need to take advantage of these "winnable" games while we can.

Losing to the Jets this week would be extremely deflating.
    Last edited by feldspar; 10-24-2014 at 09:34 AM.

22. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-24-2014),BuffaloRedleg (10-25-2014),Fletch (10-24-2014),Novacane (10-24-2014),yordad (10-24-2014)

I'm right, Miyagi is wrong. HAMMER's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Rex did not get a long extension & the talk is he is coaching for his football life in NY.

I like Rex myself, & would be happy to have him as the HC of my team as long as he had a GOOD OC.
    Wow! Don't know what to say about this statement. Who in their right mind would want that clown of a coach, total blowhard, creates distractions, likes to lick toes. No thank you

24. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-24-2014),Historian (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
    WIN THE ****ING GAME PLEASE. THE JETS HAVE 1 WIN FOR CHRISTS SAKE
    They've also played Denver and GB. I think that they're much better than that record.

Maybe they'd be 3-4 if they'd played Minnesota and Houston instead of GB and Denver, two games that we're likely to lose as well. They definitely gave NE a hell of a lot better game than we did.

Just sayin'.

26. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by casdhf View Post
    What's good for a pass defense?

Being ranked 26th in compl. % allowed, 14th in Rating allowed, 19th in ypa allowed, and 19th in yards per game allowed?

Or what is pretty good?

There's more to pass defense than just getting sacks and INTs, especially when we hardly get any against teams like SD and NE. I'm sure it'll be the same against GB, NE again, and Denver too, maybe even KC. Don't you think? Or do you think that our defense is going to step it up in those games?

It's nice to know that we can rattle Tannehill, Bridgewater, Stafford when he only has one receiving option on the field that's ever done much, but at some point we're going to have to prove that we can do the same against playoff teams if we want to become one.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    The Jets are better than their record IMO, and they are desperate for a win at this point. "Win one for Rex" at home or whatever. Coming off a Thursday Night game (which they should have won), the Jets have a few more days to prepare than the Bills. They have a good defense; in fact, I think that this game has all the earmarks of a defensive battle. The over/under in this game is lower than any other game in week 8.

I see it as a must-win game. There should be no talk about the playoffs for quite a while if we lose this game, with a lot of ground to make up...probably too much. A divisional game is HUGE, especially in the spot the Bills are in. They are 1-3 in the conference, so that doesn't bode well for any tiebreakers in Wildcard scenarios, much less winning the division. Personally, I'd like to entertain those thoughts for a longer period of time. Whatever happens is going to linger for two weeks, through the bye.

Looking at it, I think the difference may be turnovers and penalties if it turns out to be the defensive battle it seems to be on paper. At any rate, I think those two things will be key. Protect the football and don't make stupid mistakes. The refs are sure to piss me off, but that's nothing new. It'll be interesting to see how our new running game looks, and they do have a challenge against this Jets defense in that regard. The Bills need to protect Orton so he can exploit that vulnerable Jets secondary...running the ball well would obviously help that.

Scoring first would be big.
    Agree with you for the most part.

But you overlooked one thing, the Jets running game. The Jets ran haywire over us in both games last season and now have three RBs that have had a history of doing damage against us. Figure that they just schooled Belicheat in that way and it could be an enormous problem for our "elite rushing defense."

Either way, it's going to be a good gauge game to see what Schwartz's rushing D is really made of. This might be the best rushing game we've seen all season. If we can't hold them to under 100 yards rushing, or at least a very low rushing average if somewhat over that, then I think we all have to start questioning how good this rushing defense really is and whether or not it hasn't been more smoke and mirrors in getting us to this point in the rankings.

Smith should not be a problem for our D except for the extent to which he runs with the ball too.

29. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Just win the ****ing game ok? PLEAAAASSSE :)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Like Historian said, it's more of a must win for the Jets than it is the Bills.

If we lose, and it's a good assumption that Miami beats Jax this weekend, then we'll be in third place and 1-2 in the division with road games remaining in NE and Miami.

Miami has an easier schedule left and has already played GB and KC. The Jets have an easier schedule remaining and have already played Denver and GB.

Depends upon what you mean by cripple the season, but if crippling the season means damaging playoff hopes beyond a reasonable expectation, then this is a must-win game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Fletch can we just win this freaking game please?

33. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-24-2014),feldspar (10-24-2014)