Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Buffalo Bills Would Be 2-5 Without Kyle Orton, Only Kelly Surpasses Him

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Buffalo Bills Would Be 2-5 Without Kyle Orton, Only Kelly Surpasses Him

If Kyle Orton started against the Houston Texans, the Bills would be 5-2.

If the Chicago Bears never parted ways with Kyle Orton, maybe the Bears beat the Colts in Super Bowl XLI?

After getting benched in Denver in favor of football Jesus, Orton rode the NFL veteran quarterback donkey all the way to Dallas in search of greener pastures to no avail. Kyle and Tony never got along.

At 31 years old, Kyle Orton is in his prime time as an NFL quarterback.

While Orton was bagging groceries for Jerry in Dallas, he never let go of the thought of what Kurt Warner did in his NFL career.

Like a good bourbon, good quarterbacks get better with age.

For 3 consecutive games, Kyle Orton has passed for more than 280 yards.

308 passing yards against Detroit.

299 passing yards against New England.

283 passing yards against Minnesota.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo...520/kyle-orton

So when is the last time a Buffalo Bills quarterback did such a thing?

Ryan Fitzpatrick never did such a thing.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...zRy00/gamelog/

Drew Bledsoe accomplished passing more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games 1 time as a Buffalo Bill in the 2002 season.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...dDr00/gamelog/

So how many times did Jim Kelly pass for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games?

Twice.

Love me 2 times, baby. So I love Kyle Orton twice as much today.

Kelly passed for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games at the beginning of the 1987 season.

The next time Jim Kelly passed for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games was in 1992.

That's all folks.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...lJi00/gamelog/

Kyle Orton has passed for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games as the Buffalo Bills starting quarterback.

Jim Kelly only did that twice in his entire career.

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-25-2014),WagonCircler (10-25-2014)

I'm right, Miyagi is wrong. HAMMER's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Buffalo Bills Would Be 2-5 Without Kyle Orton, Only Kelly Surpasses Him

I see a lot of comments stating he is a stop gap, etc. My eyes tell me he is more than that. He sees the field very well, when he has a moment in the pocket. I have been pleasantly surprised.

4. Post thanked by:

Ingtar33 (10-25-2014),Meathead (10-26-2014),Thurmal (10-24-2014),WagonCircler (10-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As are two good offensive guards and Kiko from you going deep in the playoffs.

6. Post thanked by:

casdhf (10-25-2014),ServoBillieves (10-25-2014),ublinkwescore (10-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,468 Times in 7,085 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Had Orton been here during camp, hed have so much more chemistry not only with his supporting cast but with Hackett as well. With an ol that can pass block he can still be better than what he's been in his first 3 games

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

he's way better than EJ, but the problem is that he is good for at least one bad turnover a game.
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

9. Post thanked by:

Thurmal (10-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    If Kyle Orton started against the Houston Texans, the Bills would be 5-2.

If the Chicago Bears never parted ways with Kyle Orton, maybe the Bears beat the Colts in Super Bowl XLI?

After getting benched in Denver in favor of football Jesus, Orton rode the NFL veteran quarterback donkey all the way to Dallas in search of greener pastures to no avail. Kyle and Tony never got along.

At 31 years old, Kyle Orton is in his prime time as an NFL quarterback.

While Orton was bagging groceries for Jerry in Dallas, he never let go of the thought of what Kurt Warner did in his NFL career.

Like a good bourbon, good quarterbacks get better with age.

For 3 consecutive games, Kyle Orton has passed for more than 280 yards.

308 passing yards against Detroit.

299 passing yards against New England.

283 passing yards against Minnesota.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo...520/kyle-orton

So when is the last time a Buffalo Bills quarterback did such a thing?

Ryan Fitzpatrick never did such a thing.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...zRy00/gamelog/

Drew Bledsoe accomplished passing more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games 1 time as a Buffalo Bill in the 2002 season.

So how many times did Jim Kelly pass for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games?

Twice.

Love me 2 times, baby. So I love Kyle Orton twice as much today.

Kelly passed for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games at the beginning of the 1987 season.

The next time Jim Kelly passed for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games was in 1992.

That's all folks.

Kyle Orton has passed for more than 280 yards in 3 consecutive games as the Buffalo Bills starting quarterback.

Jim Kelly only did that twice in his entire career.
    STATS are pure BS, especially stats that compare todays NFL with yesterdays NFL.

Get a CLUE, the RULES have changed since Kelly played for those that have not noticed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    he's way better than EJ, but the problem is that he is good for at least one bad turnover a game.
    As well as a dozen sacks.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    As are two good offensive guards and Kiko from you going deep in the playoffs.
    Didn't the Bills leave the door open for Alonso to return before the end of the season?

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    If I remember correctly, Jim Kelly wasn't immune to throwing picks, sometimes a few of them.

13. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-25-2014),Buffalogic (10-25-2014),Ingtar33 (10-25-2014),Meathead (10-26-2014),OLDSRIP (10-25-2014),ublinkwescore (10-25-2014),YardRat (10-25-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I agree with the OP. Orton is a very capable QB. We all know his limitations as a QB revolve around his lack of mobility. We need better production out of the guards. Orton has carried this team because of bad interior line play. We haven't been able to run the ball and we haven't been able to pass protect but Orton, being as good as he is, has led us to two very improbable wins. If the interior of the line starts playing better, PLAYOFFS.

15. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-25-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How many have >280yds in 4 consecutive games?
    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

17. Post thanked by:

ublinkwescore (10-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    If I remember correctly, Jim Kelly wasn't immune to throwing picks, sometimes a few of them.
    The only time turnovers can't be overcome is when they happen at the end of the game.

Kelly was clutch at the end of games, Orton is as well.

Fitz, not so much.

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Correct. Every QB turns the ball over. Orton just holds it too long sometimes and takes a sack in a crucial situation. Then he completes a 4th and 20 haha. So he is what he is.

20. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-25-2014),coastal (10-25-2014),WagonCircler (10-25-2014)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Kelly's INT rates were normal for his era. If he heaved up that many picks today he'd be run out of the league, and rightly so. Kelly's career INT rate is worse then Michael Vick, Jay Cutler, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. That's not to critique him, it's to point out that it's a different game today and he didn't get the benefit of many changes.

You can't compare Orton or Manuel by Kelly's stats to defend either man, they have to stand up against their contemporaries.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

22. Post thanked by:

Meathead (10-26-2014),pmoon6 (10-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    You can't compare Orton or Manuel by Kelly's stats to defend either man, they have to stand up against their contemporaries.
    I don't think that was the point of the OP.

I think he's saying that Orton is the best we've had since Kelly, and that it's an impressive accomplishment to average 300 yds/game for 3 games.

24. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-25-2014),Mace (10-25-2014),Meathead (10-26-2014),swiper (10-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GvilleBills View Post
    How many have >280yds in 4 consecutive games?
    Bledsoe and Kelly each did this once in their careers.

In 2002, Drew Bledsoe passed for more than 280 yards in 4 consecutive games.

In 1987, Jim Kelly passed for more than 280 yards in 4 consecutive games.

To be fair, Kelly only missed the 280 yard mark by 5 yards in 1991.

In his first 5 games of the 1991 season, Kelly passed for 381, 363, 275, 322, and 303 yards.

If Kyle Orton has another very good game against the Jets, he will be entering Jim Kelly's passing territory.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,518 Times in 17,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd prefer 11-plus wins four seasons in a row. Statistics come and go with rule changes, wins and losses are forever.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    STATS are pure BS, especially stats that compare todays NFL with yesterdays NFL.

Get a CLUE, the RULES have changed since Kelly played for those that have not noticed.
    What rules are you speaking of? The rule that changed this year? Are you talking about the defensive holding, 5 yard penalty automatic first down rule? Or are you talking about the roughing the passer rule?

The NFL has made it more difficult for defenses to defend the pass, no doubt about it. But the new rules haven't stopped teams like the Ravens, Steelers, and Giants from winning Super Bowls in recent years.

What's wrong with comparing the quarterbacks of today with the quarterbacks of the past?

Jim Kelly was in a pass happy K-Gun offense in the early 1990's. In a way, the Bills set the trend for what was to come.

In the Bills last Super Bowl, Kelly threw the ball 50 times.

By the way, Jim Kelly threw at least 3 interceptions or more in 20 career games including the playoffs.

Out of those 20 games, the Bills only won 5.

Are turnover stats irrelevant too in, 'todays NFL?'

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think Orton is a poor man's Peyton Manning a la Drew Bledsoe - though I think Eric Moulds gave Bledsoe a slightly more consistent number 1 - but Sammy will probably be better than Moulds by a little bit - just a few rookie hiccups here and there.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Orton is a poor man's Peyton Manning a la Drew Bledsoe - though I think Eric Moulds gave Bledsoe a slightly more consistent number 1 - but Sammy will probably be better than Moulds by a little bit - just a few rookie hiccups here and there.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Thanks
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 6,117 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We have no idea what our record might be but my guess is it would be worse than it is now.

Stay healthy Kyle and please reduce a few of the errors.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not going to go overboard on Orton, he's Kyle Orton. That's not a bad thing, in fact it is indeed a good one for us with our situation.

I'd say he's got the best combination of head and arm we've had here since Bledsoe, but I'd say he's more a poor man's Bledsoe where Bledsoe was a poor man's Kelly. Bledsoe had a powerful arm, but less instinct and feel than Kelly had.

Orton has less arm than Bledsoe but maybe more touch (Bledsoe would rifle the ball), about the same instinct as Bledsoe (who also labored behind bad lines).

The thing you have to be dazzled about with Kelly, is that he called his own plays. His career stats are middlin' compared to some, but he commanded the field and directed a blitzkrieg offense from behind the center (ala Peyton), and he'd hit anyone stole one of his passes like a linebacker or try with vengeance, then come back next series aggravated and more determined to make them pay for it.

Orton, is an assertive, capable QB, I like that, we have not seen it in a decade. His passing to date to me has been glorious compared to what I have become used to. Oh his numbers make my knees week to date, he's a real QB.

But I'll pull up short on expecting too much out of him.

I admit though, I am wondering if he's not just what the doctor ordered in the right place at the right time. I'd die a happy man if Orton and Buffalo sparked some mutual magic and redemption together, it would be the perfect blue collar Buffalo ending and I can almost hear the NFL films recap in my head...

"And so it came down to Kyle Orton, the unwanted starter, stepping in..." (cue the film of him leading them up the tunnel, the crowd at the Ralph going wild).....a ferocious defense and one last drive....

I can dream.

31. Post thanked by:

denverboz (10-26-2014),WagonCircler (10-26-2014),YardRat (10-26-2014)