Thread: Dareus is drooling: Tampa DT McCoy gets 7years/98 million/51.5 guaranteed

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Dareus is drooling: Tampa DT McCoy gets 7years/98 million/51.5 guaranteed

First test of Pegula's checkbook coming up.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...lion-extension
    Last edited by IlluminatusUIUC; 10-25-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Dareus is drooling: Tampa DT McCoy gets 7years/98 million/51.5 guaranteed

Dareus is playing great this year, coming off a Pro Bowl year. We picked up the option to retain him next year. There's that, which most fans know. The guy is still only 24, so he's got a sizable future. Here is a guy that you want to retain, all overreactions about the off-the-field issues aside.

It's also Jerry Hughes' contract year, and I'd like to keep him on board as well.

I'm not entirely hip as to how the salary cap is, but I know a thing or two. Hughes and Dareus are guys that you want to keep around, and something needs to be done about Hughes this year. Something needs to be done with Dareus next year. Kyle Williams we have under contract until 2017. We have a very good front-four right now.

The issue is the money Mario Williams is set to make, and how that affects the rest of it. The Bills already have more money on that line than anywhere else, and it looks like it will cost considerably more to maintain this current lineup with Dareus and Hughes perhaps set to cash in. Does anybody know the clauses in Mario's contract in regards to dropping him each year and how that would affect the salary cap? Maybe he could restructure. The real question is whether or not a team would trade for Mario and take on that contract.

I don't think many people would argue that Mario isn't overpaid by megabucks, but he's still a good player that we'd want to keep. I'd just like to understand scenarios if he were to be released, not that I'm pushing for that right now. Spotrac says we'll have $12.4 million in dead money if we released Mario next year, as opposed to a $19 million cap hit if we keep him. If that's true, I don't think that there is any question...you keep him.

Again, I'm not one of those humps that has anything against Mario. I like having him on my team. But that money is something to think about.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Dareus is playing great this year, coming off a Pro Bowl year. We picked up the option to retain him next year. There's that, which most fans know. The guy is still only 24, so he's got a sizable future. Here is a guy that you want to retain, all overreactions about the off-the-field issues aside.

It's also Jerry Hughes' contract year, and I'd like to keep him on board as well.

I'm not entirely hip as to how the salary cap is, but I know a thing or two. Hughes and Dareus are guys that you want to keep around, and something needs to be done about Hughes this year. Something needs to be done with Dareus next year. Kyle Williams we have under contract until 2017. We have a very good front-four right now.

The issue is the money Mario Williams is set to make, and how that affects the rest of it. The Bills already have more money on that line than anywhere else, and it looks like it will cost considerably more to maintain this current lineup with Dareus and Hughes perhaps set to cash in. Does anybody know the clauses in Mario's contract in regards to dropping him each year and how that would affect the salary cap? Maybe he could restructure. The real question is whether or not a team would trade for Mario and take on that contract.

I don't think many people would argue that Mario isn't overpaid by megabucks, but he's still a good player that we'd want to keep. I'd just like to understand scenarios if he were to be released, not that I'm pushing for that right now. Spotrac says we'll have $12.4 million in dead money if we released Mario next year, as opposed to a $19 million cap hit if we keep him. If that's true, I don't think that there is any question...you keep him.

Again, I'm not one of those humps that has anything against Mario. I like having him on my team. But that money is something to think about.
    The biggest issue is that we aren't handing out a QB mega-contract for at least two years, and that's only going to happen if either EJ or Orton explode. So we have a lot of money to play with elsewhere. Not only do Fitz and Johnson come off the books, but we also have several backups (Lawson, Urbik, Mike Williams) making millions when Marrone doesn't really play them. Jackson is also on a one year non-guaranteed extension, so he's basically playing at the team's pleasure next year.

2016 is pretty quiet as far as our own FAs, just Hughes and Spiller (EDIT and Spikes). 2017 is where we'd have to make hard decisions or lay out major money: Dareus, Orton, Gilmore, Chandler, Glenn, Bradham, and Robey.
    Last edited by IlluminatusUIUC; 10-25-2014 at 01:00 PM.

4. Post thanked by:

BuffaloRedleg (10-25-2014),feldspar (10-25-2014),OLDSRIP (10-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    The biggest issue is that we aren't handing out a QB mega-contract for at least two years, and that's only going to happen if either EJ or Orton explode. So we have a lot of money to play with elsewhere. Not only do Fitz and Johnson come off the books, but we also have several backups (Lawson, Urbik, Mike Williams) making millions when Marrone doesn't really play them. Jackson is also on a one year non-guaranteed extension, so he's basically playing at the team's pleasure next year.

2016 is pretty quiet as far as our own FAs, just Hughes and Spiller. 2017 is where we'd have to make hard decisions or lay out major money: Dareus, Orton, Gilmore, Chandler, Glenn, Bradham, and Robey.
    Thank you. Great points, especially about Fitz and Stevie being off the books next year. Forgot about that, or maybe I deliberately blocked it out.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,559 Times in 17,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The difference in Mario's cap hit this year and the next two is minimal (18.8, 19, 19.9) but actually salary is huge (1.9, 12.1, 11.5)..if Pegs has invested all he is going to and continues to run the overall balance sheet with cash to cap it isn't going to be pretty. I'd like to see both Dareus and Hughes re-signed, and I like Mario, but if it means letting MW go to keep those two (we do have the cap room to cover his dead money next year) that's a move you have to look at real hard. Regardless, DE or DT probably just shot up the board as a draft priority.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post

2016 is pretty quiet as far as our own FAs, just Hughes and Spiller (EDIT and Spikes). 2017 is where we'd have to make hard decisions or lay out major money: Dareus, Orton, Gilmore, Chandler, Glenn, Bradham, and Robey.
    If I'm reading it right, Dareus' fifth year option just picked up this off-season is for '15, so he becomes UFA in '16.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And Hughes becomes a UFA for '15.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Suh's sixth year voids five days after this Super Bowl, so he's up next.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    If I'm reading it right, Dareus' fifth year option just picked up this off-season is for '15, so he becomes UFA in '16.
    Right, I was off by a year on those dates.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Need to rework Mario very soon!
    GO Gators!!!!!!
    GO GATORS!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Until this team has a franchise qb, they might as well spend heavy on the D-line. By the time this team is paying $20 mil/year to a qb, Kyle Williams and Mario may not even be here. Get the young talent locked up and if they have to release some expensive vets in a few years, so be it.

Bills should be in great cap shape this off-season. No reason they can't extend current players and be aggressive in free agency.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Mccoy is much better than Dareus.

14. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (10-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Dareus a must sign.
    Top of the DT food chain all things considered.
    Hope he doesn't laze out.
    Don't think he would.
    Kyle is locked up.
    As between Mario and Hughes, it's a tough one.
    Mario is a complete player. Hughes benefits a lot from playing on a line where at least two and sometimes three guys can justify a double team.
    They are all top shelf tho, no question.

16. Post thanked by:

YardRat (10-26-2014)