• Fixxxer
    • Jul 2002

Re: Week 8: Balls vs. Goats

Balls

Orton
    Sammy
    Preston Brown
    Dareus
    2nd half adjustments against Vick. (Mario and Lawson)

Goats

conservative approach by Hackett against a bad secondary
    Bradham overpusuing Vick in the second half (settled down afterwards)

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
      In all honesty to me the Hackett hate is on Brandon like levels. The guy didn't call that bad of a game outside of a few instances when he got overly conservative. He was clearly determined to establish the run early which led to some frustration but that OL is so bad right now that no matter what he calls in the running game its going to look bad.

In the end he loosened up on the run game tactic and put some faith in Orton who delivered. Would we all have liked to see this game 28-0 at the end of the 1st? Absolutely but I'm not sure that is solely a Hackett problem right now.
      IMO he called a horrible game, maybe the worst of the season. Almost every single time the team started a drive in NYJ territory the first and second down plays were between the tackle runs. He does a nice job with the pass, and has some nicely designed plays (receivers are usually open) and situation-specific (inside the five) that usually result in a score, but it's pretty obvious he struggles mightily with run play design (lack of variety, and usually into the teeth of a sea of defenders, regardless of formation), and how to mix things up to keep the defense off-balance (not just predictability in the run-run-pass mode, but also running out of passing formations and vice-versa). I seriously doubt he even considers the run game can be utilized to attack a defense, and just throws in generic **** to display a feeble attempt to 'establish the run' and 'keep the defense honest', just because. The passing game can be impressive now with the talent we have at the skill positions, if Orton is given the time by the oline, but the running game is pathetic and only about a third of that is on the players.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Crisis
        • Aug 2004

I actually might lose in fantasy because of Sammy's showboating.
        Originally posted by LOSman WINS
        Vanek is Austrian not European
        Originally posted by Prov401
        Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
        Originally posted by better days
        I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• yordad
          • Dec 2007

I might lose because I started Bryce brown. :-(
          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Crisis
            • Aug 2004

Shoutout to TJ Graham for still being the most useless football player on the planet.
            Originally posted by LOSman WINS
            Vanek is Austrian not European
            Originally posted by Prov401
            Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
            Originally posted by better days
            I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Novacane
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by yordad View Post

I started him too lol. What a bust. Ben R bailed me out

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Crisis View Post
              Shoutout to TJ Graham for still being the most useless football player on the planet.

You didn't like the TJ humping the endzone play?

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by yordad View Post
                I thought Brown had better weeks when he was inactive. I don't know or care what his stat sheet looks like, but on the field he looked like crap. Now we all know why he was inactive every week until now. I can't see him on next year's team, so if he's Spiller's replacement under Whaley's master plan, DW better rethink things if he's here next year.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  IMO he called a horrible game, maybe the worst of the season. Almost every single time the team started a drive in NYJ territory the first and second down plays were between the tackle runs. He does a nice job with the pass, and has some nicely designed plays (receivers are usually open) and situation-specific (inside the five) that usually result in a score, but it's pretty obvious he struggles mightily with run play design (lack of variety, and usually into the teeth of a sea of defenders, regardless of formation), and how to mix things up to keep the defense off-balance (not just predictability in the run-run-pass mode, but also running out of passing formations and vice-versa). I seriously doubt he even considers the run game can be utilized to attack a defense, and just throws in generic **** to display a feeble attempt to 'establish the run' and 'keep the defense honest', just because. The passing game can be impressive now with the talent we have at the skill positions, if Orton is given the time by the oline, but the running game is pathetic and only about a third of that is on the players.
                  We are a pass heavy team, its not shock he was going to try and do more to establish the run. The issue with the running game are OL centered not play call centered.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• mysticsoto
                    Too sober for this...
                    • Apr 2004

We are a pass heavy team, its not shock he was going to try and do more to establish the run. The issue with the running game are OL centered not play call centered.
                    I completely agree with this! Hackett called a conservative game. I understand people may want more scores and flashier passing...fact of the matter is, he continually establishes that we WILL run - forcing teams to have to address it. Because they do this, Orton has an easier time when a pass gets called his way. Look at the TD by...Lee Smith (I think?). They totally bit on us running and the fake 1 yd pass for Orton was SO simple b'cse of it.

Teams HAVE to respect that we're going to try and run and have to commit to stopping it. The Jets have a great Dline so I'm cutting them a little slack in the run game this wk, but overall, it is the Oline that needs to step up! EJ being the weak link of the team has now switched to the Oline being the weak link of the team. And I'm starting to feel it's more the coaching of the Oline than the players themselves...but that's an ongoing evaluation.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Balls:

Kyle Orton
                      Watkins and Woods - targeted 9 times, caught 6 for 207 yards and two tds.
                      Field position - BUF's average drive starts were from the BUF 49 yard line. NYJ's were from their own 19. Amazing numbers...
                      The defense - six (!) turnovers.
                      PK Carpenter - 3 for 3, with a 53 yarder.
                      The NYJ coaching staff - what with their X-Rated pass game, they had enough sense to run 33 times.

Goats:

Run defense - NYJ was 33-175, 5.3 ypc ,long gain of 24 yds., 3 tds.
                      Run offense - BUF was 33-67, 2,1 ypc, long gain of 7 yds., 1 td. Although I see the sense of it - the new rules, and NYJ's deconstructed defensive backfield. So, pass pass pass.
                      Percy Harvin - targeted 9 times, caught 3. What a dumb trade...
                      Geno Smith - putrid, and Michael Vick - putrid, jr.
                      Penalties - 10 -93. Not good, although I feel that with the current NFL-mandated flag frenzy, an officiating crew ought to be declared league MVP.
                      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• casdhf
                        • Jul 2002

Ivory only had 43 yards. I would call that a win.
                        Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Gibby
                          • Jun 2006

Balls:
                          Sammy Watkins
                          McKelvin
                          Orton
                          Schmidt
                          Fatman aka Billy Butler, we're gonna miss him next year.

Goats:
                          The spirit of Stevie Johnson, Mr. Watkins, you will be great in this league, hell you are already are, but please NEVER showboat again until you are in the endzone
                          The San Fransisco Giants, I hate game seven
                          The Royals Defense after the fifth inning in game four. The Royals should have been crowned last night, but because you just assumed you had it won we are still playing for the World Series.

Comment

• Swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

Just stop. You sound stupid.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                              Just stop. You sound stupid.
                              Why is that stupid? The prevailing NFL rules favor the pass game, big time.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• YardRat
                                Well, lookie here...
                                • Dec 2004

Running essentially the same play, under the same circumstances, consistently is not establishing the run. Yes, there are issues on the oline both with talent level and scheme, but part of the problem most certainly is play calling...and design.
                                YardRat Wall of Fame
                                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                                X