Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Orton's stats

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Orton's stats

He doesn't pass the eye test but those are some great stats. Usually the eye test in the end is correct.

The next 2 games well tell us a lot.

2. Post thanked by:

SpikedLemonade

Orton gives a chance to win games that EJ could not.

I'm rooting for him.

We have to win 3 of the next 4 games. 3 of those games are at home.

Let's see him lead us to those victories.

4. Post thanked by:

cookie G (10-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Orton has definitely been better than I expected and I'm actually excited to see what he can do the rest of the way. The only thing keeping him from making more plays and being more consistent is better pass protection. Orton looks like he has cement blocks for feet and zero ability to avoid sacks. I'd like to say he could do a better job of getting rid of the ball, but that would require actually getting out of the pocket. His mobility will always be a limitation, so the O-line really needs to find a way to step up. Right now, the O-line is really the only major concern I have about this team.

6. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (10-28-2014)

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,899 Times in 4,357 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by yordad View Post
    It shows our line sucks, not that Orton isn't a top ten QB like you imply based on this. In fact, it is an argument in favor of Orton if anything.
    Just goes to show you, even with a line that "sucks", teams can win if the QB produces.

8. Post thanked by:

better days (10-28-2014)

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,933 Times in 13,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    hes no kelly holcomb or nick rolovich but he'll do
    Actually, what's gone on is VERY similar to 2005.

Remember, Losman, a secod year first round pick, was anointed the starter that year and Holcomb was signed to play backup.

Losman won his first game, then stunk for 3 games in a row. Holcomb went in and the team immediately improved.

The difference between 2005 and now is that EJ doesn't have REMOTELY the same number of rabid fans as Losman had. Why that is is a matter of opinion.

Maybe it's because the Losmaniacs are 9 years older and so at least SOME are wiser.
    My tebya razdavim

10. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (10-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,893 Times in 4,017 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    Orton gives a chance to win games that EJ could not.

I'm rooting for him.

We have to win 3 of the next 4 games. 3 of those games are at home.

Let's see him lead us to those victories.
    With the running game the way it is, and Manuel's inability to hit a moving WR, I cringe to think where this offense would be had he not been named the starter.

12. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post

Remember, Losman, a secod year first round pick, was anointed the starter that year and Holcomb was signed to play backup.

Losman won his first game, then stunk for 3 games in a row. Holcomb went in and the team immediately improved.

The difference between 2005 and now is that EJ doesn't have REMOTELY the same number of rabid fans as Losman had. Why that is is a matter of opinion.

Maybe it's because the Losmaniacs are 9 years older and so at least SOME are wiser.
    Well, Orton is a much better QB than Holcomb as well.

I don't think Holcomb was any better than Losman at all, just different.

14. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-28-2014),WagonCircler (10-28-2014),yordad (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Orton has definitely been better than I expected and I'm actually excited to see what he can do the rest of the way. The only thing keeping him from making more plays and being more consistent is better pass protection. Orton looks like he has cement blocks for feet and zero ability to avoid sacks. I'd like to say he could do a better job of getting rid of the ball, but that would require actually getting out of the pocket. His mobility will always be a limitation, so the O-line really needs to find a way to step up. Right now, the O-line is really the only major concern I have about this team.
    I lean toward it being a combination of things. This OL should be better than it was last season and in past seasons. Should be.

Orton's taking sacks at nearly twice the rate at which he took them as a starter in either Chicago or Denver. His O-lines there didn't seem to be better than here, if anything I'd say worse. It's not like he had a bunch of pro-bowlers protecting him except for Kreutz in Chicago.

I'm thinking it comes down to play-calling impacting the line's requirements and Orton being older and not having played in several years.

It will be interesting to keep an eye on during the second half of the season.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
    He doesn't pass the eye test but those are some great stats. Usually the eye test in the end is correct.

The next 2 games well tell us a lot.
    Well, to be fair, his stats in the first three games were completely the opposite of the way they were with the Jets.

It was kind of like Spiller in 2012 where he started with 29 carries for 292 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs. He really didn't have another game like either of those two first games and his next 100-yard game wasn't until 10 games later or something, but it set the tone for expectations that he couldn't live up to. After those two games Spiller was averaging over 10 yards per carry. The rest of the season he averaged just over half of that.

I view the Jets game like that. If people are really expecting top-10 play from Orton I think that they'll be disappointed. Of the stats used to start this thread, other than the longest pass stuff, the only time that he's finished in the top-10 of any of the other categories in his career was in 2010 when he finished 4th in yards/game. Fitzpatrick had more TDs on over 600 fewer yards in the same number of games that season.

The dust is going to settle from that Jets game which was one of the strangest we've played in years. When it does Orton will more than likely revert to the QB he was in the first three games he played here. It's wise to expect more production along those lines.
    Last edited by Fletch; 10-28-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, Orton is a much better QB than Holcomb as well.

I don't think Holcomb was any better than Losman at all, just different.
    You were a Losman fan, right?

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There is no argument against winning... and we're winning. If we can be a playoff team with Orton I'll be happy.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    There is no argument against winning...
    The last time we made the playoffs half the fanbase did just that.

20. Post thanked by:

better days (10-29-2014),CommissarSpartacus (10-28-2014),TacklingDummy (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    The last time we made the playoffs half the fanbase did just that.
    Did you see the Flutie doc on NFL network where Dougie pinned that on Ralph?

It was also Ralph that insisted Mularky had to fire Tom Clements because he objected to Ralph's order to make Losman the starter in 2005.

Ralph may have done WNY a favor by keeping the team in Buffalo but he did the team no favors with the way he butted in on football decisions because he had a man crush on certainj players.

22. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We have a very talented offense at the skill positions and with that I can see Orton sticking in the top 10. I do question the line though as everyone else does. This plays right into his weakness. He needs to protect the football for us to continue winning.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't need no stinkin' stats.

Football is fun to watch again.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
    ~ Frank Zappa

25. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Did you see the Flutie doc on NFL network where Dougie pinned that on Ralph?

It was also Ralph that insisted Mularky had to fire Tom Clements because he objected to Ralph's order to make Losman the starter in 2005.

Ralph may have done WNY a favor by keeping the team in Buffalo but he did the team no favors with the way he butted in on football decisions because he had a man crush on certainj players.
    No. I can't watch it.

I met my wife that year. We've been married for a decade, we have a 6 year old at home. I grew up, built a business, sold it, semi-retired, went back to school, semi-retired again, bought a house, sold a house, built a new house, moved to another country, moved back to Canada, started another business, sold it, got a new job...

During that lifetime of change the Bills have been consistently horrible. I feel like they've given me the sports fans' equivalent of PTSD. Frankly, reliving the mistake that ruined the franchise is a beating I'm not willing to take.

27. Post thanked by:

Bellowing4DaBills (10-30-2014),CommissarSpartacus (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,554 Times in 17,440 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I believe I ran across an article this morning that said Orton had the highest fourth quarter passer rating in the league. I'll see if I can find it again.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 30,554 Times in 17,440 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...6-dff818e1aa61

11.Kyle Orton became the first NFL quarterback to throw four touchdown passes with 10 or less completions since Bubby Brister with Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland on 12/23/90. ... Orton’s four touchdown passes tied a career-high.
    12. Orton ranks sixth in the NFL with an 8.0 average yards per pass attempt.

13. Orton leads the NFL in fourth quarter passer rating at 132.5.

30. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (10-29-2014),jimmifli (10-28-2014),Mace (10-28-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

3-1 is the only stat I need to know.

32. Post thanked by:

better days (10-29-2014)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have to say the same thing I said last time you brought this up, Holcomb had a rag arm, way less starting experience (spent 3 years on the pines without taking a snap even), etc etc. He wasn't comparable to Orton. Doesn't have anything to do with fanbase, it's statistical. I don't think Manuel and Losman had similar situations either from what I remember (neither pro or con but diff situations).

That said, I'm enjoying Orton while I can and hoping it lasts. I don't think he was ever so bad as compared to our scale of bad through his career and I think, from watching him, became better through it, though not spectacular.

I don't think we've seen what his ceiling here could be with better protection, but not how bad it can get either if he keeps taking vicious beatings week to week.

I think he can squeak into top 10, likely as mentioned top 15 (closer to 10) which will be splendid here. I want to believe he can be the perfect QB in the right place at the right time, feels like it to me (which is intangible and iffy anyway with my track record).

Also think, if Manuel really is going to learn anything, Orton is the right guy to learn it from outside of Fitzpatrick (great mind, terrible arm).

I don't feel good about expecting anything to turn out too well anymore, but Orton is head and shoulders above what we've come to be used to past decade in any case.