• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Orton's stats

There is no argument against winning... and we're winning. If we can be a playoff team with Orton I'll be happy.

Comment

• jimmifli
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
      There is no argument against winning...
      The last time we made the playoffs half the fanbase did just that.

Comment

• Spartacus
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
        The last time we made the playoffs half the fanbase did just that.
        Did you see the Flutie doc on NFL network where Dougie pinned that on Ralph?

It was also Ralph that insisted Mularky had to fire Tom Clements because he objected to Ralph's order to make Losman the starter in 2005.

Ralph may have done WNY a favor by keeping the team in Buffalo but he did the team no favors with the way he butted in on football decisions because he had a man crush on certainj players.
        My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

We have a very talented offense at the skill positions and with that I can see Orton sticking in the top 10. I do question the line though as everyone else does. This plays right into his weakness. He needs to protect the football for us to continue winning.

Comment

• bleve
            • Mar 2005

I don't need no stinkin' stats.

Football is fun to watch again.
            "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
            ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• jimmifli
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
              Did you see the Flutie doc on NFL network where Dougie pinned that on Ralph?

It was also Ralph that insisted Mularky had to fire Tom Clements because he objected to Ralph's order to make Losman the starter in 2005.

Ralph may have done WNY a favor by keeping the team in Buffalo but he did the team no favors with the way he butted in on football decisions because he had a man crush on certainj players.
              No. I can't watch it.

I met my wife that year. We've been married for a decade, we have a 6 year old at home. I grew up, built a business, sold it, semi-retired, went back to school, semi-retired again, bought a house, sold a house, built a new house, moved to another country, moved back to Canada, started another business, sold it, got a new job...

During that lifetime of change the Bills have been consistently horrible. I feel like they've given me the sports fans' equivalent of PTSD. Frankly, reliving the mistake that ruined the franchise is a beating I'm not willing to take.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

I believe I ran across an article this morning that said Orton had the highest fourth quarter passer rating in the league. I'll see if I can find it again.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

11.Kyle Orton became the first NFL quarterback to throw four touchdown passes with 10 or less completions since Bubby Brister with Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland on 12/23/90. ... Orton’s four touchdown passes tied a career-high.
                  12. Orton ranks sixth in the NFL with an 8.0 average yards per pass attempt.

13. Orton leads the NFL in fourth quarter passer rating at 132.5.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

3-1 is the only stat I need to know.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Mace
                      Haha...yeah you think so ?
                      • Mar 2013

Actually, what's gone on is VERY similar to 2005.

Remember, Losman, a secod year first round pick, was anointed the starter that year and Holcomb was signed to play backup.

Losman won his first game, then stunk for 3 games in a row. Holcomb went in and the team immediately improved.

The difference between 2005 and now is that EJ doesn't have REMOTELY the same number of rabid fans as Losman had. Why that is is a matter of opinion.

Maybe it's because the Losmaniacs are 9 years older and so at least SOME are wiser.
                      I have to say the same thing I said last time you brought this up, Holcomb had a rag arm, way less starting experience (spent 3 years on the pines without taking a snap even), etc etc. He wasn't comparable to Orton. Doesn't have anything to do with fanbase, it's statistical. I don't think Manuel and Losman had similar situations either from what I remember (neither pro or con but diff situations).

That said, I'm enjoying Orton while I can and hoping it lasts. I don't think he was ever so bad as compared to our scale of bad through his career and I think, from watching him, became better through it, though not spectacular.

I don't think we've seen what his ceiling here could be with better protection, but not how bad it can get either if he keeps taking vicious beatings week to week.

I think he can squeak into top 10, likely as mentioned top 15 (closer to 10) which will be splendid here. I want to believe he can be the perfect QB in the right place at the right time, feels like it to me (which is intangible and iffy anyway with my track record).

Also think, if Manuel really is going to learn anything, Orton is the right guy to learn it from outside of Fitzpatrick (great mind, terrible arm).

I don't feel good about expecting anything to turn out too well anymore, but Orton is head and shoulders above what we've come to be used to past decade in any case.

Comment

• Mace
                        Haha...yeah you think so ?
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                        http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...6-dff818e1aa61

11.Kyle Orton became the first NFL quarterback to throw four touchdown passes with 10 or less completions since Bubby Brister with Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland on 12/23/90. ... Orton’s four touchdown passes tied a career-high.
                        12. Orton ranks sixth in the NFL with an 8.0 average yards per pass attempt.

13. Orton leads the NFL in fourth quarter passer rating at 132.5.
                        That one is just always ruined by Bubby Brister being a part of it.

Comment

• Frenchman
                          June and Summertime!
                          • Apr 2012

Yeah but he is at least winning games for the team!
                          ​Ready for Summertime Fun!

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

You were a Losman fan, right?
                            I was. But that does not change the fact Holcomb was no better than JP.

I like EJ as well & hope he can develop, but I want Orton starting NOW.

Comment

• feldspar
                              • Mar 2007

Actually, what's gone on is VERY similar to 2005.

Remember, Losman, a secod year first round pick, was anointed the starter that year and Holcomb was signed to play backup.

Losman won his first game, then stunk for 3 games in a row. Holcomb went in and the team immediately improved.

The difference between 2005 and now is that EJ doesn't have REMOTELY the same number of rabid fans as Losman had. Why that is is a matter of opinion.

Maybe it's because the Losmaniacs are 9 years older and so at least SOME are wiser.
                              For Christ's sake.

Give it up already.

This was almost a decade ago.
                              Last edited by feldspar; 10-28-2014, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• Swiper
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Sep 2010

#7 comp pct
                                #6 yds/att
                                #2 longest pass
                                #9 yds/game
                                #6 qb rtg

Is Orton a top ten qb? Can he keep it up?
                                He was a top ten QB the last time he played regularly in 2010. It's already been documented here.

Comment

Working...
                                X