• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spartacus
    • Mar 2003

Re: Orton's stats

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
    losman also had more success than ej. that third season when they added vince young to the probowl as an injury replacement it really should have been losman, who had better stats but had fewer wins and got lots less attention on espn

also, i dont think holcomb was nearly as dramatic an improvement as orton has been. whatever tepid support there may have been remaining for ej pretty much evaporated during ortons 3-1 start
    Holcomb won his first 2 starts and looked just like Orton does now, and he almost beat the Pats in NE.

After his 7th start, he was in the top 10 in qb rating, and only a succession of flukes in the final game against the Jets drove his rating down.

Holcomb's success is what necessitated the bogus "qb competition" of 2006, where Jauron put Holcomb in for the first quarfter of the first pre season game, then declared Losman the starter. LOL! No wonder the team gave up. They HATED Losman. Everybody he ever played with hated Losman. That so many Bills fans had a ridiculous fixation with him was creepy.

Man, you guys don't remember much, do you?
    My tebya razdavim

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      None of this has anything to do with whether or not Sal was telling the truth, and seeing as we had this conversation over at the range the week after the game, I see no reason not to believe him.

I've known Sal, as has cookie and lecter and many others for over a decade and he's always been a straight shooter. Does he know everything? Of course not, only I do.

But to try to argue with an interesting story by impugning Sal's character just isn't justified.
      Living in Fla on the West Coast about 30 minutes from where Sal used to live, I listened to his podcasts all the time as there were no apps for phones to get WGR or any other radio station that was not local.

As I said, Sal likes to embellish. To call himself Coach & give the impression he was a FOOTBALL Coach is a JOKE. Sal Coached GIRLS soccer, NOT boys FOOTBALL.

And while that story may be interesting, I DOUBT it is true. Please explain how a young guy from Buffalo that was not a member of the media in 2004 was able to get on the Steelers sideline

or how he knew Mularkey well enough to be invited to his house. I'm not buying what you are selling.

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

well lee evans sure didnt hate losman. and right now ejs game isnt near the level jps was at in 06. losman wasnt well liked personally for whatever reason but he worked very reasonably well with them that year

further, holcomb started well here but fizzled out, similar to fitz but we didnt give kelly a huge contract before he went into the crapper. same thing might happen to orton but hes had a longer and more successful stint at starting so hes obviously further along in that regard

funny how subdued the fan base is on orton so far, myself included. i think weve been thru this so many times recently its like here we go again, lets wait and see what happens this time
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
          As I said, Sal likes to embellish.
          gotta admit weve seen that here too. but so what, i like sal, he markets himself, and he appears born to do what he does. im glad he found his special purpose and does it in bflo. i still even like him despite creating one of the most hilariously bizarre moments on race issue discussions weve ever seen. classic
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
            gotta admit weve seen that here too. but so what, i like sal, he markets himself, and he appears born to do what he does. im glad he found his special purpose and does it in bflo. i still even like him despite creating one of the most hilariously bizarre moments on race issue discussions weve ever seen. classic
            I like Sal myself as well. As I said, I give him a lot of credit for having the courage to follow his dream & am happy for him & the success he has had.

Like i said, I used to listen to his podcasts all the time.

And sometimes they were very hard to listen to due to the poor equipment he was using.

I still enjoy listening to Sal on WGR despite his penchant for embellishing.

And I really don't mean to impugn Sal's character.

But in 2004, Sal was a College Student at Syracuse from Buffalo NY.

I remember him telling how he used to take the bus from Syracuse to Buffalo to watch Bills games.

I would like to hear the story how he made his way to the sideline of the Steelers or how he got invited to Mularky's house that same magical weekend.

I also find it hard to believe Roethlisburger would call Losman a dick to a stranger on the sideline during a game as well.

I doubt Big Ben knew Losman well enough to know if he was a dick or not for that matter.

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

I would like to hear the story how he made his way to the sideline of the Steelers or how he got invited to Mularky's house that same magical weekend.
              I remember that story, and I totally believe it.

Sal was doing the job that a friend of mine used to do for the Bills.

It was the era before wireless headsets on the sidelines, so they needed a guy to "manage" the hard wired coach's headphones, to keep people from tripping over the lines or standing on the lines, so the HC could move freely on the sidelines.

Not a glamorous job. No reason for embellishment. And the only possible way I'd know this was that Sal included it in his posts, since I've never met him personally.

I remember him telling a story about how Plaxico Burress was either deaf or thick as a brick, and kept standing on the cord.

I remember the Mularkey story, too. Sal was giddy, like a little kid, and portrayed it that way. He wasn't acting like he was all cool and ran with the Bills coaching crew. He presented it as a once in a lifetime encounter at a postgame party.

I don't know anything about what he did in FLA, but I do remember the sideline story, and it rang 100% true. It wasn't as you characterize it.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                I remember that story, and I totally believe it.

Sal was doing the job that a friend of mine used to do for the Bills.

It was the era before wireless headsets on the sidelines, so they needed a guy to "manage" the hard wired coach's headphones, to keep people from tripping over the lines or standing on the lines, so the HC could move freely on the sidelines.

Not a glamorous job. No reason for embellishment. And the only possible way I'd know this was that Sal included it in his posts, since I've never met him personally.

I remember him telling a story about how Plaxico Burress was either deaf or thick as a brick, and kept standing on the cord.

I remember the Mularkey story, too. Sal was giddy, like a little kid, and portrayed it that way. He wasn't acting like he was all cool and ran with the Bills coaching crew. He presented it as a once in a lifetime encounter at a postgame party.

I don't know anything about what he did in FLA, but I do remember the sideline story, and it rang 100% true. It wasn't as you characterize it.
                Well, I guess it is possible Sal was on the sideline, but I still find it hard to believe Big Ben would tell a total stranger that Losman is a dick.

And a post game party sounds different than the way Sparticus said Sal going to the Coaches house after the game.

Comment

• jimmifli
                  • Nov 2006

Well, I guess it is possible Sal was on the sideline, but I still find it hard to believe Big Ben would tell a total stranger that Losman is a dick.
                  Why? He was such a dick Troy Vincent intentionally injured him.

Comment

• yordad
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                    Why in the holy hell would one of the leagues most respected veterans purposely injure a rookie teammate in a practice? You must know how ridiculous this sounds.
                    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Topas
                      German smartass
                      • Feb 2014

Hi did not intentionally injure him. He tackled him full speed in either a non-tackle drill or in a half speed walk-through (dont remember exactly). He did not want to injure him but he wanted to send a message. That he got injured was unfortunate, or maybe fortunate, but at least not planned.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Here is why...

I doubt Vincent meant to injure him for one thing, I think he just meant to shake him up.

I doubt Ben knew Losman well enough to know if he was a dick or not & I doubt Ben would have told a young kid he did not know that even if he thought it.

Like I said Sal likes to embellish.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                          Unreachable Douche
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by yordad View Post
                          I was a Losman fan. And an EJ fan. But that doesn't mean Orton shouldn't be starting.
                          I was a Losman and EJ fan too.
                          Doesn't mean I didn't think they would suck.
                          I much rather of them to have proved me wrong.
                          It would be much more fun watching them team have success.

Comment

• jimmifli
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Topas View Post
                            Hi did not intentionally injure him. He tackled him full speed in either a non-tackle drill or in a half speed walk-through (dont remember exactly). He did not want to injure him but he wanted to send a message. That he got injured was unfortunate, or maybe fortunate, but at least not planned.
                            JP was wearing a redshirt, ran a bootleg and tried for a few extra yards at the sideline. Vincent hit him out of bounds.

His intent was to hurt JP and teach him a lesson. Injury was certainly a possible outcome when hitting a guy that is not expecting to be hit.

Comment

• feldspar
                              • Mar 2007

His intent was to hurt JP and teach him a lesson.
                              This is ridiculous, and I don't believe it for one second.

If you assume that's true, that would be horrible indictment on Troy Vincent and nobody else. If you don't like a guy or what he does for any reason, you intentionally hurt him? A guy that would even dream of doing that to his own teammate would be the worst type of player to have on your team, regardless of anything else at all.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                                Peterman Sucks!
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                                This is ridiculous, and I don't believe it for one second.

If you assume that's true, that would be horrible indictment on Troy Vincent and nobody else. If you don't like a guy or what he does for any reason, you intentionally hurt him? A guy that would even dream of doing that to his own teammate would be the worst type of player to have on your team, regardless of anything else at all.
                                How is it ridiculous?

Vincent hit Losman in a non contact drill while he was wearing a red jersey which definitely means do not touch. Vincent had been in the league for years and was full aware not to hit the guy in the red jersey, yet he did anyway.

There was intent of some sort to send a message to Losman. What that intent was no one will no for certain but it was clearly there.

Comment

Working...
                                X