• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: A few random thoughts & opinions...

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
    It isn't the salary cap that is going to be a factor in who we choose to re-sign this off season, it's the bottom line and real-life dollars. Signing bonus money has to come from somewhere, upfront, right after the deal is done...the in-league accounting may be prorated for that, but the payment sure isn't. It's going to depend on how many more millions of dollars Pegs wants to pump into the organization to keep some of these guys. With the amount he spent on the team, and facing the possibility of another significant amount coming down the road for a stadium, I'm not real confident that we're going to see a drastic shift from cash-to-cap anytime real soon. Revenue is going to have to be increased first.

As for some of the particular players mentioned, Spikes has had such a huge impact on this defense he has to be priority #1, 'not a three-down backer' be damned. It would be nice to keep Hughes (love what he brings to the table, especially rushing the passer obviously), but it's going to depend how much he's looking to cash in. I don't want Kiko anywhere near MLB, he simply isn't close to the level of MLB against the run Spikes is and should never see the middle of the field again except as a lone LBer in a dime. Brown and Bradham have done well, just not sure if either one of them can fill Spikes shoes. Bradham may have the best shot, and I guess I could live with a worst case scenario of Brown-Bradham-Kiko.
    I think the thought was Brown at MLB (destined for backup there until Alonso went down ?) and was intended to be more Alonso-Brown-Bradham, Bradham isn't a real good MLB candidate. Thing about Brown and Alonso is that they're both 3 down LB's. so Alonso, Spikes, Brown looks real appealing with Bradham rotational.

I'd agree with Hughes largely being a speed rusher, but think he's a priority resign because he fits perfectly, you don't want a guy without speed and hope he may do well because he has it (Maybin). He's not so lost anymore one on one in terms of strength, he's getting there. Thing about the D-line, is that the 4 players complement each other perfectly, even including the less than 110% motor Mario (who I think will surely renegotiate of he's happy here).

Double teaming any of them is hurting yourself, and if any one of those 4 spots become less effective, the other 3 will suffer for it. Hughes will be able to write his own ticket, though if he'll fit where he goes and be successful is another story. But if say, Pettine gets him....

Keep them intact, they should be able to afford it.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mace View Post
      I think the thought was Brown at MLB (destined for backup there until Alonso went down ?) and was intended to be more Alonso-Brown-Bradham, Bradham isn't a real good MLB candidate. Thing about Brown and Alonso is that they're both 3 down LB's. so Alonso, Spikes, Brown looks real appealing with Bradham rotational.

I'd agree with Hughes largely being a speed rusher, but think he's a priority resign because he fits perfectly, you don't want a guy without speed and hope he may do well because he has it (Maybin). He's not so lost anymore one on one in terms of strength, he's getting there. Thing about the D-line, is that the 4 players complement each other perfectly, even including the less than 110% motor Mario (who I think will surely renegotiate of he's happy here).

Double teaming any of them is hurting yourself, and if any one of those 4 spots become less effective, the other 3 will suffer for it. Hughes will be able to write his own ticket, though if he'll fit where he goes and be successful is another story. But if say, Pettine gets him....

Keep them intact, they should be able to afford it.
      That was my initial impression also with Brown, but so far this season Bradham just looks like a 'fit' at MLB to me despite his lack of actual playing time there. More about perceived attitude than anything else, to be honest.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
        I'd like an upgrade on Bradham and move him to a Nickel LB only role where his best ability can be utilized.
        I think he's been their best LB this year.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
          I'd disagree, Preston Brown has been a less spectacular Alonso. For a 3rd round rookie he's been remarkable.

Dunno Bradham is mlb material, but don't know he isn't. Don't know he has a head for the position and calling defensive signals, Alonso and Brown both had mlb background in college, Bradham has mostly been weakside olb, rangier, lankier, good peripheral guy.

Alonso, Brown, Bradham in any combo won't hurt my feelings if they can't retain Spikes. More than one good 3 down lb is considered having the shiznit of lb's.

Comment

• jimmifli
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
            That pick was good coverage for a CB. He's been really good.

I've talked up Bradham for two seasons now, he outplayed Kiko the final 6 games of last season and was our best LB early this season. But brown has outplayed him. He's better in coverage and makes more plays against the run. I'm not sure who has more talent, but Brown is going to be a good LB for a long time.

Comment

• feldspar
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mace View Post
              I'd disagree, Preston Brown has been a less spectacular Alonso. For a 3rd round rookie he's been remarkable.

Dunno Bradham is mlb material, but don't know he isn't. Don't know he has a head for the position and calling defensive signals, Alonso and Brown both had mlb background in college, Bradham has mostly been weakside olb, rangier, lankier, good peripheral guy.

Alonso, Brown, Bradham in any combo won't hurt my feelings if they can't retain Spikes. More than one good 3 down lb is considered having the shiznit of lb's.
              Yeah, Preston Brown has really surprised me this year. I don't think people are giving him enough recognition for coming in and playing pretty well as a rookie 3rd round pick. That was a nice pick so far.

Comment

Working...
              X