Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who do we root for during the bye? Do we actually have to root for Miami?

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Who do we root for during the bye? Do we actually have to root for Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Anybody see the end of the Ravens/Bengals game with that offensive pass interference call?

Looked like a flop to me. No way Smith pushed him down.
    Steve Smiths' left hand was firmly clutching Ilokas' jersey just under his throat and shoved him down.

Check out the video:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...c-9b8b76812b9c

BAL also dumbly sent a safety blitz when CIN was on their own 20, on 3rd and ten:

..."Sour Play Of The Week: With Baltimore leading 24-20, the Nevermores had host Cincinnati facing third-and-10 on its own 20 with 3:48 remaining. All the visitors needed was an incompletion. Knowing Cincinnati needed to throw deep, surely Baltimore wouldn't safety blitz! But free safety Darian Stewart blitzed, and it was a 53-yard completion to Mohamed Sanu, who went straight to the area the free safety vacated for a key down in the Cincinnati comeback victory. Sour defensive tactics."...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/...ng-quarterback
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Steve Smiths' left hand was firmly clutching Ilokas' jersey just under his throat and shoved him down.

Check out the video:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...c-9b8b76812b9c
    Of course, I HAVE looked at the video...several times. No way that push caused that fall. I think the safety flopped. I think the call was ticky-tacky at best. I do not think that it should have been called.

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Miami, jets, denver. Pitt and Baltimore play, so that will both hurt and help... though I think I would rather baltimore get in to the playoffs over pittsburgh... baltimlre we play well against. Pittsburgh has our number.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

4. Post thanked by:

better days (10-29-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Of course, I HAVE looked at the video...several times. No way that push caused that fall. I think the safety flopped. I think the call was ticky-tacky at best. I do not think that it should have been called.
    Smith didn't push him. He grabbed Ilokas' jersey with his left hand, and took advantage of the fact that Ilokas' momentum was taking him, as well as Smiths', in the same direction. The grab and pull to the right made Iloka fall, and after Smith released him, he turned to face the ball, having dispensed the defender. It was a blatant action and the refs agreed.

It doesn't take much force to direct a person going in one direction to accelerate and make them fall down.

Note that the Baltimore Sun reporter, who might be expected to cast a favorable eye on Smiths' action, decidedly said that it was offensive pass interference.

Last edited by stuckincincy; 10-29-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Note that the Baltimore Sun reporter, who might be expected to cast a favorable eye on Smiths' action, decidedly said that it was offensive pass interference.

Well, lot's of professional analysts and former players say that there is no way in hell that was offensive pass interference, but what anybody else says about it won't sway my opinion.

I'll tell you one thing. I do not like these new rules set in place this year one bit.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well, lot's of professional analysts and former players say that there is no way in hell that was offensive pass interference, but what anybody else says about it won't sway my opinion.

I'll tell you one thing. I do not like these new rules set in place this year one bit.
    I certainly agree on the rule changes and emphasis, this season and for the past few years. I seldom watch any complete game, preferring to record ones of interest,with an occasional live drop-in viewing. I feel that HOF's Lem Barneys' words have merit, in that the NFL faces a limited shelf life - the concussions, the drugs, the criminality that makes politicians stick their noses in, and so on.

I think that a new stadium for BUF has to be totally private sector funded. Some who follow the CIN stadium debacle appreciate what a hit property owners and sales tax payers have incurred - in OH, state law mandates that counties balance their budgets. Canned over 1,000 workers at last count. Not so for cities, towns, villages, unfortunately. I'd be pleased to see such also have to balance.

Folks here voted for stadiums for the NFL team, the MLB club, and not for a needed new jail. So in Hamilton County OH., folks physically horribly hurt by others watch the perps walk back onto the streets because there is no room at the inn, so to speak.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 10-29-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I'm still expecting the Bengals to win the North, so I want the Steelers and Ravens to both lose as many games as possible. I think the Steelers have more potential losses than the Ravens after this week, so I think a loss for the Ravens this week improves the Bills chances of finishing ahead of both teams. Who knows how things are going to play out though. If you told me the Bengals are going to lose a bunch of games then I'm all in favor of the Ravens crushing the Steelers and running away with the North.
    CIN will have a tough row to hoe to win the division. And get into the playoffs.

LB Burfict, who has been in and out so far with concussions, now undergoes knee surgery which will keep him out for a few weeks. AJ Green's toe problem lingers - missed 2 1/2 games so far. TE Eifert is still on IR-return since game 1, so they continue with rookie Ryan Hewitt and the hot 'n cold Gresham as the TEs. RG Zeitler came back last week after missing 2, but is injured again. DT Thompson hasn't played for weeks, and they have a host on their DNP list this Wednesday:

Did not practice – running back Giovani Bernard (hip/clavicle); cornerback Darqueze Dennard (hamstring), defensive end Carlos Dunlap, (illness); linebacker Rey Maualuga, (hamstring); defensive tackle Domata Peko (toe), guard/center Mike Pollak
    (knee) offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth (day off after wife gave birth to the couple’s fourth child), and guard Kevin Zeitler. Limited participation – Green (toe), cornerback Terence Newman (back) and tackle Andre Smith (knee).

They play JAX Sunday, and 4 days later suit up again on Thursday vs. CLE. Ouch.

Add in a difficult final 4 games: PGH, @CLE, DEN, @PGH. At this point, if they make the playoffs, I think it will be as a WC. BAL's final 4 are @MIA, JAX, @HOU, CLE, and PGH's is @CIN, @ATL, ending with two at home, KC and CIN.

Also - I'll root for MIA over SD - I don't know who wins the AFC West, but either DEN or SD looms as wildcard competition for BUF. And BUF has a chance to stab MIA in their 2nd game.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 10-30-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

CIN will have a tough row to hoe to win the division. And get into the playoffs.

LB Burfict, who has been in and out so far with concussions, now undergoes knee surgery which will keep him out for a few weeks. AJ Green's toe problem lingers - missed 2 1/2 games so far. TE Eifert is still on IR-return since game 1, so they continue with rookie Ryan Hewitt and the hot 'n cold Gresham as the TEs. RG Zeitler came back last week after missing 2, but is injured again. DT Thompson hasn't played for weeks, and they have a host on their DNP list this Wednesday:

Did not practice – running back Giovani Bernard (hip/clavicle); cornerback Darqueze Dennard (hamstring), defensive end Carlos Dunlap, (illness); linebacker Rey Maualuga, (hamstring); defensive tackle Domata Peko (toe), guard/center Mike Pollak
    (knee) offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth (day off after wife gave birth to the couple’s fourth child), and guard Kevin Zeitler. Limited participation – Green (toe), cornerback Terence Newman (back) and tackle Andre Smith (knee).

They play JAX Sunday, and 4 days later suit up again on Thursday vs. CLE. Ouch.

Add in a difficult final 4 games: PGH, @CLE, DEN, @PGH. At this point, if they make the playoffs, I think it will be as a WC. BAL's final 4 are @MIA, JAX, @HOU, CLE, and PGH's is @CIN, @ATL, ending with two at home, KC and CIN.

Also - I'll root for MIA over SD - I don't know who wins the AFC West, but either DEN or SD looms as wildcard competition for BUF. And BUF has a chance to stab MIA in their 2nd game.
    Good to know Cincy has so many issues right now. I knew about AJ Greens toe, but I didn't think it would be that serious.

Kind of weird scheduling that they don't play Pitt for the first time until week 14 and still haven't played Cleveland yet, but have played Baltimore twice. I guess I was kind of expecting them to sweep Cleveland, but they're definitely better than I expected. If they split with Cleveland and Pitt, and lose @New Orleans and vs Denver, the best they could do is 9-6-1. That probably won't win the North. I really wanted them to lose that Carolina game.