Thread: JW's All-22 Review Bills Vs. Jets

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

JW's All-22 Review Bills Vs. Jets

Kyle Orton is on a 36 TD, 4,500 yard full season pace.

Sammy Watkins is one of the best wide receivers in the NFL.

Kraig Urbik played much better than Cyril Richardson.

The Bills offense wasn't as conservative as people think.

Awesome read at this time of the year.

The Bills are getting better by the game.

http://www.wgr550.com/JW-All-22-Revi...-Jets/20203407

"There has been a lot of criticism that the Bills settled for field goals, and opted to run the ball ineffectively rather than go for the throat of the New York Jets. Some of it might be warranted...but a look at the overall package might change your mind."

2. Post thanked by:

better days (10-29-2014),Mace (10-28-2014)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: JW's All-22 Review Bills Vs. Jets

Lack of Urbik previously or nearly all season with the state of the guards just really gets on my last nerve.

4. Post thanked by:

alohabillsfan (11-01-2014),better days (10-29-2014),jamze132 (10-29-2014),YardRat (10-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,564 Times in 17,446 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Lack of Urbik previously or nearly all season with the state of the guards just really gets on my last nerve.
    Haven't checked out the All-22 yet, and I know my frustration with Hackett was pushed over the edge on Sunday, but IMO Pat Morris has to be the first change after the season.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

6. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-28-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wow...a couple of those plays Wood got completely abused. The first one is on coaching, actually, IMO. With the zone blocking scheme, it doesn't exactly take a genius to figure out if you line up on the center's right shoulder, his first step is going to be 45deg forward/right. So what do you do? Go to your own right across the center's face and leave him blocking sailboat fuel. There are a couple other examples from earlier All-22's that show Woods getting abused on his first step, also...that needs to be switched up, and it's up to the coach to catch it and adjust.

The second one he just flat-out gets beat up the gap.

As far as the 'conservative' allegation, White is letting the inclusion of a couple of big plays override the rest of the game. Throwing downfield a few times still doesn't excuse the predictability of the running game, especially considering the specific circumstances.

8. Post thanked by:

better days (10-29-2014),CommissarSpartacus (10-29-2014),jimmifli (10-28-2014),Novacane (10-29-2014),trapezeus (10-29-2014)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

since when do the jehovahs witnesses do football reviews
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post

As far as the 'conservative' allegation, White is letting the inclusion of a couple of big plays override the rest of the game. Throwing downfield a few times still doesn't excuse the predictability of the running game, especially considering the specific circumstances.
    In one of the Hackett threads I said he has a good sense of when to be conservative and when to be aggressive. I think White demonstrated that.

It's not the playcalling...it's the plays.

11. Post thanked by:

YardRat (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    In one of the Hackett threads I said he has a good sense of when to be conservative and when to be aggressive. I think White demonstrated that.

It's not the playcalling...it's the plays.
    I dunno...multiple opportunities given possession in the opponents territory and every one was treated like you were just handed the ball in the red zone, in overtime, and that just wasn't the case. I don't mind conservative when the situation dictates it, but at least give the appearance that you're going to try to make a first down.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wow...a couple of those plays Wood got completely abused. The first one is on coaching, actually, IMO. With the zone blocking scheme, it doesn't exactly take a genius to figure out if you line up on the center's right shoulder, his first step is going to be 45deg forward/right. So what do you do? Go to your own right across the center's face and leave him blocking sailboat fuel. There are a couple other examples from earlier All-22's that show Woods getting abused on his first step, also...that needs to be switched up, and it's up to the coach to catch it and adjust.

You do realize the jets do not have an offense, so yes the gameplan was rightfully a conservative one.

Just like the chargers were very conservative against us with EJ as QB because they did not think we would score without turnovers.

They won the game my lord.

Kyle Orton and Hackett are working together and figuring things out, unfortunately we did not have Kyle during training camp and that is slowing down the two of them coming up with the best possible offense for Kyle.

Additionally Kyle is still working out the kinks with his WRs as he was not practicing with the starters till 4 weeks ago.

As long as we keep winning games I do not care what our offense looks like.

Additionally if we are to make the playoffs we will need a running game and working on it throughout the season is the only way to make it work in the playoffs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    You do realize the jets do not have an offense, so yes the gameplan was rightfully a conservative one.

Just like the chargers were very conservative against us with EJ as QB because they did not think we would score without turnovers.

They won the game my lord.

Kyle Orton and Hackett are working together and figuring things out, unfortunately we did not have Kyle during training camp and that is slowing down the two of them coming up with the best possible offense for Kyle.

Additionally Kyle is still working out the kinks with his WRs as he was not practicing with the starters till 4 weeks ago.

As long as we keep winning games I do not care what our offense looks like.

Additionally if we are to make the playoffs we will need a running game and working on it throughout the season is the only way to make it work in the playoffs.
    Can't argue with most of that, and won't, but a team can play conservatively without being predictable and largely ineffective. Nobody is asking, or suggesting, that Hackett should have eschewed the run and aired it out 50 times...just mix it up a little bit, both with play selection, play design, and play calls. Especially against a team with 'no offense'. How do you keep a team with no offense in the game? Don't score points yourself.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, I dunno. The turnovers kept coming and coming. Their average starting drive position was the BUF 49...that's unheard of.

The only sense of it all that I see is that NYJ despite being behind stuffed the box, and the BUF OC with the lead thought that with a solid lead, why take chances? And I don't know it that makes any sense.

The entire game was weird - Orton was sacked 4 times, was 10 for 17 for 4 tds, they rushed for 67 yards for a 2.1 average, the Jets rushed for 175 yards, and so on.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post

The entire game was weird - Orton was sacked 4 times, was 10 for 17 for 4 tds, they rushed for 67 yards for a 2.1 average, the Jets rushed for 175 yards, and so on.
    For dropping back 21 times TOTAL, that sack number scares me, and rightfully Marrone & Co. Bad things happen on sacks - injuries, fumbles ...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,855 Times in 3,504 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I agree but realistically, OBD needed to see what the younger guys could do. I don't think they anticipated being 5-3 at the break and now they are going into a more "win-now" mode instead of a building mode.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Well, I dunno. The turnovers kept coming and coming. Their average starting drive position was the BUF 49...that's unheard of.

The only sense of it all that I see is that NYJ despite being behind stuffed the box, and the BUF OC with the lead thought that with a solid lead, why take chances? And I don't know it that makes any sense.

It makes sense to a point, especially if you don't have much confidence in your offense, and to be fair overall it's not like the offense had been lighting up the scoreboard until this past Sunday. On the other hand, you establish the run to pull defenders in the box and open up opportunities in the passing game...if the Jets were going to be stubborn about stacking the box then they are pretty much accomplishing the first goal for you.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Can't argue with most of that, and won't, but a team can play conservatively without being predictable and largely ineffective. Nobody is asking, or suggesting, that Hackett should have eschewed the run and aired it out 50 times...just mix it up a little bit, both with play selection, play design, and play calls. Especially against a team with 'no offense'. How do you keep a team with no offense in the game? Don't score points yourself.
    Hey I agree it was a little frustrating see run run pass a lot but they won so I am not going to argue it to much.

That being said hopefully we see more variations against the chiefs and the phins.

We really need to win these two games and really these next 4 if we want to be serious playoff contenders.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,425 Times in 2,003 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was under the impression that Orton called a number of audibles on passing plays that were changed to runs in an effort to protect the ball and not risk turnovers. If that's true, we can't really blame Hackett for all the conservatism.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    I agree but realistically, OBD needed to see what the younger guys could do. I don't think they anticipated being 5-3 at the break and now they are going into a more "win-now" mode instead of a building mode.
    I wouldn't really disagree so much if Richardson had not been inactive first couple weeks, and Urbik active and rooted to the pines. They had said they were all about using their best linemen regardless of position, which was the excuse for shifting Pears to guard. Best argument is that Urbik was needed as a backup center, except for all the talking Marrone did praising the possibilities of his linemen, he avoided Urbik like the plague and the last anyone heard of Urbik was that the Bills were trying to trade him before the season started.

I think they shifted early into win-now mode and not test mode with the Watkins trade and benching Manuel for the considerably less mobile Orton who'd need all the protection they could give him without Kolb'ing again. I just don't think they meant this to be an ojt year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I wouldn't really disagree so much if Richardson had not been inactive first couple weeks, and Urbik active and rooted to the pines. They had said they were all about using their best linemen regardless of position, which was the excuse for shifting Pears to guard. Best argument is that Urbik was needed as a backup center, except for all the talking Marrone did praising the possibilities of his linemen, he avoided Urbik like the plague and the last anyone heard of Urbik was that the Bills were trying to trade him before the season started.

I think they shifted early into win-now mode and not test mode with the Watkins trade and benching Manuel for the considerably less mobile Orton who'd need all the protection they could give him without Kolb'ing again. I just don't think they meant this to be an ojt year.
    Would the Urbik deal and the oline in general be more on Marrone's or Morris' shoulders to bear?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    Hey I agree it was a little frustrating see run run pass a lot but they won so I am not going to argue it to much.

That being said hopefully we see more variations against the chiefs and the phins.

We really need to win these two games and really these next 4 if we want to be serious playoff contenders.
    I think the Bills can win against the Chiefs & Fins playing as conservative as they have.

It is against the Packers, Broncos & Pats* that being conservative will not get the job done.

Unlike the Jets, Chiefs & Fins, those three teams will put POINTS on the board.

20 points off 6 turnovers on the other teams side of the field is just horrid.