• Mar 2005

Re: CJ Spiller Contract

Rosetta Stone

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

His best bet will be to exercise his option and use the year to prove himself as a guy who should get paid.

I don't see him getting 5m on the open market.

Comment

• lavuuk153
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
        His best bet will be to exercise his option and use the year to prove himself as a guy who should get paid.

I don't know if he can get 5M on the open market, but I'd have a hard time turning down a 3 year 12M deal with a good chunk guaranteed. I can definitely see a team that would know how to use him give him that offer. The question is does he gamble on himself in Buffalo which can't figure out how to use him or take extra money at a lower rate simply because a few extra million is a crap ton of money.

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

This team hasn't earned the luxury of low balling FAs.

FAs do not want to come or stay in Buffalo for bottom or even mid dollar. Once in a while a player comes along that is in love with the city and the fans. Those players are rare at such ayoung age.

So its either pay through the nose for Spiller, hope he is one of those rare players, or prepare yourself to watch him play elsewhere.
          Last edited by RedEyE; 10-31-2014, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Topas
            German smartass
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post

I bet that he would get 5 mill on the open market. Some other team will remember that he averaged about 6-7 yards per run a few years ago. And the Bills are only too stupid to use him. The Eagles are loaded at RB. But if he goes to a team that uses him similar to they use RBs he will dominate. Maybe the Saints.
            I think he is definitely not as good as McCoy. But some team will pay him 5 mill. And if he is lucky that is actually a team that knows how to use him.

Comment

• starrymessenger
              • Oct 2009

Spiller is not a good fit for Hackett's and Marrone's offence - at least not at it's current stage of development.
              Maybe if fully mature, with a good O-line, vertical passing game and a runner like Chris Ivory doing some of what CJ has been asked to do, Spiller could do serious damage with screen passes and check downs.
              Maybe if the Bills thought they might be there as soon as next year t would make some sense to resign him.
              But even then if they feel that in a mature system Brown could do almost as well in space as well as run better inside hard to see just what CJ could add to the equation.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Topas View Post
                I bet that he would get 5 mill on the open market. Some other team will remember that he averaged about 6-7 yards per run a few years ago. And the Bills are only too stupid to use him. The Eagles are loaded at RB. But if he goes to a team that uses him similar to they use RBs he will dominate. Maybe the Saints.
                I think he is definitely not as good as McCoy. But some team will pay him 5 mill. And if he is lucky that is actually a team that knows how to use him.
                He's a gimmick player that if used properly would be used like Sproles.

Not a main integral piece but a complimentary piece.

Sproles is making 3.5m per.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                  With CJ being hurt for potentially the season, while it used to be a forgone conclusion that he would decline his player option, now I'm not so sure.

First would anyone pay close to 5M for someone coming off a season ending injury? An injury that has now happened twice. I doubt it.

He may want next year to try and secure that one last big contract.

If he goes on the open market, I don't think he makes any more than Tate did this year.

We might get one more year of Spiller.
                  And why do we want one more year of Spiller?

I'm fairly confident that we can address RB in the draft, etc...

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Four out of the five years Spiller has been here people have complained that the coaching staff doesn't know how to use him. Eventually you have to get beyond that and look at the player.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                    X