Thread: How will BUF spend their rookie pool $ next year, without a 1st rnd pick?

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How will BUF spend their rookie pool $ next year, without a 1st rnd pick?

Just wondering what they will do, not having to have a #1 pick $ take a bite out of the draft cap.

CBA experts - feel free to chime in. I don't know if their rookie pool gets reduced because of not having a 1st round selection.

Do you think they will make a move back into the 1st, or move up in the 2nd or latter rounds if they have the pool cash to do so?

Deal for extra picks?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: How will BUF spend their rookie pool $ next year, without a 1st rnd pick?

I'm pretty sure that the rookie pool is based on the picks you have. So not having a #1 would reduce the pool. Each pick of each round has an allotted contract value so I believe the rookie pool is determined after the draft based on the picks that were used.

3. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (10-29-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the rookie pool is based on the picks you have. So not having a #1 would reduce the pool. Each pick of each round has an allotted contract value so I believe the rookie pool is determined after the draft based on the picks that were used.
    Thanks. But I believe the pool is also adjusted for final season record - the parity thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Thanks. But I believe the pool is also adjusted for final season record - the parity thing.
    Well teams with higher draft picks are going to have to have higher pool amounts since their picks are more valuable, but I would assume that the actual pool amount can't be finalized until after the draft since picks can be traded. If a team trades back into the first round, they can't just pay both first rounders less than normal in order to fit under a pool limit. They would have to adjust the pool amount. I'm not certain on any of this, but that is how I understand it.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Well teams with higher draft picks are going to have to have higher pool amounts since their picks are more valuable, but I would assume that the actual pool amount can't be finalized until after the draft since picks can be traded. If a team trades back into the first round, they can't just pay both first rounders less than normal in order to fit under a pool limit. They would have to adjust the pool amount. I'm not certain on any of this, but that is how I understand it.
    I have trouble figuring it out myself, Ed.