• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Does anyone want to re-sign Orton?

Originally posted by The Doc View Post
    Yeah..yeah...I got the permanent ban there. Of course there I was The_Dude.
    Well, welcome to the Zone.

The board of the misfit toys.

A place where you don't have to worry about being banned because those in charge don't agree with you.

I was banned from twobillsdrive myself because I said Trent Edwards sucked.

Comment

• The Doc
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by better days View Post
      Well, welcome to the Zone.

The board of the misfit toys.

A place where you don't have to worry about being banned because those in charge don't agree with you.

I was banned from twobillsdrive myself because I said Trent Edwards sucked.
      I got the ban from BBMB for saying EJ sucked.

Comment

• imbondz
        Democrats are people too
        • Jan 2003

I don't think anyone is saying the Bills should give Orton a new contract before the end of the season either.

But if the Bills make the playoffs this year with Orton at QB, I think we will have seen enough that we want him resigned.
        you think you will have seen enough if Orton makes the playoffs? lol.
        My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
          you think you will have seen enough if Orton makes the playoffs? lol.
          You don't think 12 regular season games, making the playoffs is enough to know if Orton should be resigned or not?

I think it will take 10 wins to make the playoffs which means Orton will have to produce 5 more wins for the Bills minimum.

IMO, yeah that would be enough.

Comment

• Bill Cody
            • Sep 2004

After the Cowboys let Orton go I think he was getting himself used to the idea that he was done in the league. Seriously if we don't sign him when we did at the end of camp does he play in the league this year? Doubtful he would have been willing to sign for normal backup money. So let's calm down here. He's been solid not spectacular for 4 games. Orton's happy to be here and we're happy to have him. The checkbook can stay locked in the drawer until the offseason.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
              After the Cowboys let Orton go I think he was getting himself used to the idea that he was done in the league. Seriously if we don't sign him when we did at the end of camp does he play in the league this year? Doubtful he would have been willing to sign for normal backup money. So let's calm down here. He's been solid not spectacular for 4 games. Orton's happy to be here and we're happy to have him. The checkbook can stay locked in the drawer until the offseason.
              The Cowboys did not want to cut Orton, he forced their hand by refusing to report, saying he was thinking of retiring.

I think his plan all along was to get away from the Cowboys & sign with a team like the Bills.

Comment

• feldspar
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                Orton basically tried to force himself out of Dallas IMO, from what I've read. He succeeded in that, if that's the case.

I don't think that he thought he was "done in this league," unless it was by his own hand. I think he wanted to go to a place where he had a chance to start, and behold what happened. The Bills were pursuing him even when he was signed with Dallas a while back, and there is a good chance that he knew that. It took us a while to be able to get him while everything played out. He put himself in a pretty good spot, ask me. His business tactics are looking pretty smart right now. We'll see what happens.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                  Orton basically tried to force himself out of Dallas IMO, from what I've read. He succeeded in that, if that's the case.

I don't think that he thought he was "done in this league," unless it was by his own hand. I think he wanted to go to a place where he had a chance to start, and behold what happened. The Bills were pursuing him even when he was signed with Dallas a while back, and there is a good chance that he knew that. It took us a while to be able to get him while everything played out. He put himself in a pretty good spot, ask me. His business tactics are looking pretty smart right now. We'll see what happens.
                  It worked out for him. But let's be honest, our situation was worse than most teams and his market may have been just us and wouldn't have even been that if EJ played a little better.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

I heard Eric Wood say he is not only neighbors with Orton but the two of them are good friends, go golfing & hunting together.

I think that played a large role in Orton signing with the Bills.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                      http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buff...-buffalo-bills

Apparently he has a player option and some fans want him extended before he might leave in free agency.

Personally, I would extend him if a) he takes us to the playoffs and b) we are convinced he will do it again after this year. Anything else seems like perpetuating mediocrity to me and I'd rather keep looking for the true answer.

He is the best option to win now. I think I've seen enough to believe that. Marrone deserves credit for making the right call here.

However, he does not seem to me to be a future. Can he win now? Sure. Can he win enough for the playoffs? Maybe. But before we go down the road of claiming we don't need a playoff caliber QB let's simply set that argument aside and address whether Orton can do two things... 1) win a game or two when it's all on him to do so and 2) not lose us games where he is a major reason that we lost.

If Orton is nothing more than a stopgap we are unfortunately stuck QB searching again. I want contingency plans. If we want to extend him based on confidence in his abilities based on the aforementioned questions, I immediately want the search for the future to begin anew.

Can EJ still be the answer? It's possible. But I want competition for the QB-of-the-future position with a legit prospect to begin as soon as possible.

In the end, I'm fine with a veteran QB sized contract if we are convinced Orton is the short term answer. But, I'm also fine with seeing where he can take us this year and letting him leave.

What say you?
                      Good post. We have to wait for any anointing, to see if his success in beating 2 stiffs and one semi-stiff missing their top WR and starting QB. He's suffered 17 sacks in 4 starts - we can debate if it's him or the line. We have to wait and see if the 9 td/3 int ratio changes up or down. 2 fumbles - not concerned about that.
                      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• feldspar
                        • Mar 2007

I heard Eric Wood say he is not only neighbors with Orton but the two of them are good friends, go golfing & hunting together.

I think that played a large role in Orton signing with the Bills.
                        I heard that too, but I don't think that played a large role.

It's nice and good to hear, but I don't think that played a large role. I'm pretty sure Orton has friends wherever he went. He's a family man. If he likes Wood (no pun intended), all the more better...but that would be dumb of Orton for that to play a "large role" in his decision to come to Buffalo. Just icing on the cake at best, or so is my projection.
                        Last edited by feldspar; 10-30-2014, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                          • Sep 2004

Know what had a large role? 5 large

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                            Good post. We have to wait for any anointing, to see if his success in beating 2 stiffs and one semi-stiff missing their top WR and starting QB. He's suffered 17 sacks in 4 starts - we can debate if it's him or the line. We have to wait and see if the 9 td/3 int ratio changes up or down. 2 fumbles - not concerned about that.
                            The turnovers were a big concerns for me. Im glad he didn't have any against the Jests. But if we had lost both games with him having two turnovers many might feel very differently about him.

Comment

• dog14787
                              • Oct 2010

If Orton keeps playing as well as he has been for the rest of the season I say yes,

by all means, re-sign Kyle Orton

Shady Brady

Comment

• better days
                                • Jan 2010

It's nice and good to hear, but I don't think that played a large role. I'm pretty sure Orton has friends wherever he went. He's a family man. If he likes Wood (no pun intended), all the more better...but that would be dumb of Orton for that to play a "large role" in his decision to come to Buffalo. Just icing on the cake at best, or so is my projection.

My thinking is Wood acted like a middle man.

Let the Bills know what Orton was thinking & let Orton know about the Bills team.

Comment

Working...
                                X