• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • starrymessenger
    • Oct 2009

Re: Does anyone want to re-sign Orton?

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
    Orton is no dummy, and the manner in which he leveraged himself out of Dallas and put him into the best position possible should be proof enough of that. If next year is voidable on his say-so, you can bet the farm he will. Give him four more games, than check back on this thread prior to the last month of the season.

- - - Updated - - -

It's 'voidable' so a two year contract that he can opt out of the second year, the way I understand it.
    Gotcha.
    Thanks.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

EJ sucks.

We have no first round draft pick next year. The OL needs work and the RB situation is unclear, but the rest of the team is good enough to win now. We can't afford to keep that DL together forever.

Who are we going to get that's better? Who are we going to get that can win now?

I'd like to see us sign Orton for 2-3 more years and hope we can find a QB in the draft in that time.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Novacane
        • Jul 2002

Decide at the end of the season. Anyone can have a hot streak for a few games.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

btw I do agree we should see how the season plays out.

But I still don't see how we can get someone better before the 2016 draft, and even then he'll need a year or two to develop.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mace
            Haha...yeah you think so ?
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            Orton is no dummy, and the manner in which he leveraged himself out of Dallas and put him into the best position possible should be proof enough of that. If next year is voidable on his say-so, you can bet the farm he will. Give him four more games, than check back on this thread prior to the last month of the season.

- - - Updated - - -

It's 'voidable' so a two year contract that he can opt out of the second year, the way I understand it.
            Yup, it's up to Orton. End of the year he can say ok, or bye bye. Ok means he accepts for price (without backdoor negotiation which there certainly would be), or say "Nah."

Player option, up to the player.

It's a good thing here, either we're both all in or not.

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              btw I do agree we should see how the season plays out.

But I still don't see how we can get someone better before the 2016 draft, and even then he'll need a year or two to develop.
              I don't see it either, it's either going to be pass or fail this year, which is probably real significant.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                • Aug 2004

2014 2,500,000 1,500,000 - - - - - 4,000,000 3,000,000
                2015 5,400,000 1,500,000 - - 100,000 - - 7,000,000 1,500,000
                I don't know how the player option works because the team can always cut a player. I assume in Orton's case, if he elects to opt out 2015, he has to pay back the 1.5 million pro-rated signing bonus.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

hes currently playing way above his career norm statistically. if he could keep that up he would be a legit franchise caliber qb, but i doubt that he can. now would not be the right time to extend regardless, but especially since we cant really have much of an idea what kind of reliable long term production he would give them it makes even less sense

if he has success here over the rest of the season that puts the bills in a great position. he doesnt seem like the sort that would just say well thanks for diving my price up now im gonna go find who will pay me the absolute top dollar. he would likely want to stay here and settle in for a multi-year run, so the bills might not have to shell out ridiculous guaranteed money to keep him

really super nice that it appears the bills finally fell into something with the qb position. that really helps take the immediate urgency out of the equation so they dont have to get into that mistake-prone fire drill to try to find somebody who doesnt suck to play for you (cough jets cough). he should be able to give them at least a couple years to good production, so the bills can be patient about developing the guys behind him
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                    • Jun 2024

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                    2014 2,500,000 1,500,000 - - - - - 4,000,000 3,000,000
                    2015 5,400,000 1,500,000 - - 100,000 - - 7,000,000 1,500,000
                    I don't know how the player option works because the team can always cut a player. I assume in Orton's case, if he elects to opt out 2015, he has to pay back the 1.5 million pro-rated signing bonus.
                    No.

That contract had a $3M Signing Bonus which is his regardless if he goes.

That was the price just to get him here.

We paid him $5.5 to come here.

If he was to opt out, he would be walking away from the Base and Roster Bonus total of another $5.5M.

I gather we gave him the opt out so if he did not start here this year, he could opt out to try to start elsewhere next year.

I would make no evaluation on Orton until after the season is over.

If he is going to be our starter next year, then we will need to pay him starters money which is much more than $5.5M.

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

Orton has a good thing going with the Bills. If he stays, he's all but guaranteed to be the starter next season. Enough with the "EJ is the future" nonsense. He couldn't figure it out in college, he's not figuring it out in the NFL.

Right now, I'd take Orton next season over any FA QB who may come available.

Comment

• gebobs
                        One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                        • Sep 2003

Four games boys and they haven't been all that pretty even though we love the result. Orton could easily be 1-3 rather than 3-1. Here's hoping he strings it out. Odds are he won't.

The Bills 95% confidence interval (back of the envelope calculation) for wins is now 7-10. Upside, they might sneak into the playoffs. That's all I am hoping for. I can't stand another year watching from the sidelines.
                        Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                          Anyone can if Orton exercises his option. It's a player option, means he can choose another year or bye bye.
                          My mistake, I thought it was the Bills option.

All the more reason for the Bills to resign him after this season if he continues to play well.
                          Last edited by better days; 10-30-2014, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                            • Jul 2005

Orton is 31 and could conceivably start for 3 to 5 years easily.

That being said I think we have some talent on the OL they just are very young and need to get better as the season goes on

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Jun 2003

Whatever keeps EJ on the bench shouldn't have a price tag
                              Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• starrymessenger
                                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                                hes currently playing way above his career norm statistically. if he could keep that up he would be a legit franchise caliber qb, but i doubt that he can. now would not be the right time to extend regardless, but especially since we cant really have much of an idea what kind of reliable long term production he would give them it makes even less sense

if he has success here over the rest of the season that puts the bills in a great position. he doesnt seem like the sort that would just say well thanks for diving my price up now im gonna go find who will pay me the absolute top dollar. he would likely want to stay here and settle in for a multi-year run, so the bills might not have to shell out ridiculous guaranteed money to keep him

really super nice that it appears the bills finally fell into something with the qb position. that really helps take the immediate urgency out of the equation so they dont have to get into that mistake-prone fire drill to try to find somebody who doesnt suck to play for you (cough jets cough). he should be able to give them at least a couple years to good production, so the bills can be patient about developing the guys behind him
                                Agree.
                                The problem I have (nice problem), is that I really don't think that with these young players on O and the O-line such as it is, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would have played any better than Orton has. Maybe worse.
                                That suggests to me that he's on a hot streak, meaning that before making a decision to offer him a better/longer contract we should wait till we have a better idea of just what his right cruising altitude actually is.
                                Of course it's not impossible either that he's a late bloomer and that he's suddenly in the top half of starting QBs in this league. Not impossible, but probably unlikely. It should be fun to see going forward.
                                In the meantime I've certainly enjoyed all the big time throws.

Comment

Working...
                                X