Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone want to re-sign Orton?

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Does anyone want to re-sign Orton?

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    btw I do agree we should see how the season plays out.

But I still don't see how we can get someone better before the 2016 draft, and even then he'll need a year or two to develop.
    I don't see it either, it's either going to be pass or fail this year, which is probably real significant.

2. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Year Base Signing Bonus Roster Bonus Option Bonus Workout Bonus Restruc. Bonus Incentive Cap Hit Dead
    2014 2,500,000 1,500,000 - - - - - 4,000,000 3,000,000
    2015 5,400,000 1,500,000 - - 100,000 - - 7,000,000 1,500,000

I don't know how the player option works because the team can always cut a player. I assume in Orton's case, if he elects to opt out 2015, he has to pay back the 1.5 million pro-rated signing bonus.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

hes currently playing way above his career norm statistically. if he could keep that up he would be a legit franchise caliber qb, but i doubt that he can. now would not be the right time to extend regardless, but especially since we cant really have much of an idea what kind of reliable long term production he would give them it makes even less sense

if he has success here over the rest of the season that puts the bills in a great position. he doesnt seem like the sort that would just say well thanks for diving my price up now im gonna go find who will pay me the absolute top dollar. he would likely want to stay here and settle in for a multi-year run, so the bills might not have to shell out ridiculous guaranteed money to keep him

really super nice that it appears the bills finally fell into something with the qb position. that really helps take the immediate urgency out of the equation so they dont have to get into that mistake-prone fire drill to try to find somebody who doesnt suck to play for you (cough jets cough). he should be able to give them at least a couple years to good production, so the bills can be patient about developing the guys behind him
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

5. Post thanked by:

Historian (10-30-2014)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Year Base Signing Bonus Roster Bonus Option Bonus Workout Bonus Restruc. Bonus Incentive Cap Hit Dead
    2014 2,500,000 1,500,000 - - - - - 4,000,000 3,000,000
    2015 5,400,000 1,500,000 - - 100,000 - - 7,000,000 1,500,000

I don't know how the player option works because the team can always cut a player. I assume in Orton's case, if he elects to opt out 2015, he has to pay back the 1.5 million pro-rated signing bonus.
    No.

That contract had a $3M Signing Bonus which is his regardless if he goes.

That was the price just to get him here.

We paid him $5.5 to come here.

If he was to opt out, he would be walking away from the Base and Roster Bonus total of another $5.5M.

I gather we gave him the opt out so if he did not start here this year, he could opt out to try to start elsewhere next year.

I would make no evaluation on Orton until after the season is over.

If he is going to be our starter next year, then we will need to pay him starters money which is much more than $5.5M.

7. Post thanked by:

starrymessenger (10-30-2014),ublinkwescore (10-29-2014),YardRat (10-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,843 Times in 3,496 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Orton has a good thing going with the Bills. If he stays, he's all but guaranteed to be the starter next season. Enough with the "EJ is the future" nonsense. He couldn't figure it out in college, he's not figuring it out in the NFL.

Right now, I'd take Orton next season over any FA QB who may come available.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Four games boys and they haven't been all that pretty even though we love the result. Orton could easily be 1-3 rather than 3-1. Here's hoping he strings it out. Odds are he won't.

The Bills 95% confidence interval (back of the envelope calculation) for wins is now 7-10. Upside, they might sneak into the playoffs. That's all I am hoping for. I can't stand another year watching from the sidelines.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

10. Post thanked by:

Meathead (10-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Anyone can if Orton exercises his option. It's a player option, means he can choose another year or bye bye.
    My mistake, I thought it was the Bills option.

All the more reason for the Bills to resign him after this season if he continues to play well.
    Last edited by better days; 10-30-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Orton is 31 and could conceivably start for 3 to 5 years easily.

That being said I think we have some talent on the OL they just are very young and need to get better as the season goes on

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Whatever keeps EJ on the bench shouldn't have a price tag
    Oh no!...We suck again!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    hes currently playing way above his career norm statistically. if he could keep that up he would be a legit franchise caliber qb, but i doubt that he can. now would not be the right time to extend regardless, but especially since we cant really have much of an idea what kind of reliable long term production he would give them it makes even less sense

if he has success here over the rest of the season that puts the bills in a great position. he doesnt seem like the sort that would just say well thanks for diving my price up now im gonna go find who will pay me the absolute top dollar. he would likely want to stay here and settle in for a multi-year run, so the bills might not have to shell out ridiculous guaranteed money to keep him

really super nice that it appears the bills finally fell into something with the qb position. that really helps take the immediate urgency out of the equation so they dont have to get into that mistake-prone fire drill to try to find somebody who doesnt suck to play for you (cough jets cough). he should be able to give them at least a couple years to good production, so the bills can be patient about developing the guys behind him
    Agree.
    The problem I have (nice problem), is that I really don't think that with these young players on O and the O-line such as it is, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would have played any better than Orton has. Maybe worse.
    That suggests to me that he's on a hot streak, meaning that before making a decision to offer him a better/longer contract we should wait till we have a better idea of just what his right cruising altitude actually is.
    Of course it's not impossible either that he's a late bloomer and that he's suddenly in the top half of starting QBs in this league. Not impossible, but probably unlikely. It should be fun to see going forward.
    In the meantime I've certainly enjoyed all the big time throws.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by starrymessenger View Post
    Agree.
    The problem I have (nice problem), is that I really don't think that with these young players on O and the O-line such as it is, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would have played any better than Orton has. Maybe worse.
    I think Kyle has done a great job, and want to see him as the Bills QB. I think he's just what they need. That being said, the bolded part of your post is ridiculous to even think.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,242 Times in 15,406 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    Orton is 31 and could conceivably start for 3 to 5 years easily.
    Which is a perfect time frame with which to groom a successor, IMO.

17. Post thanked by:

casdhf (10-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i'd like to think that orton would give the bills a break and sign with us if money and terms are even. i would hope that he realized our coaches saw his potential quickly, switched to him, let him be a starter and want him as a starter (if that's how the season plays out).

i'm not asking orton to take a buffalo discount, i'm just hoping he doesn't want bigger city life if he gets an equal offer for another team.

but like i've said, i think it's worth it for both parties to simply say they like what's happening so far, and talk at the end of the season. i think i heard orton's option is to be exercised the week before the SB. gives us a few weeks to be proactive about giving him a contract to think about before the option.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buff...-buffalo-bills

Apparently he has a player option and some fans want him extended before he might leave in free agency.

Personally, I would extend him if a) he takes us to the playoffs and b) we are convinced he will do it again after this year. Anything else seems like perpetuating mediocrity to me and I'd rather keep looking for the true answer.

He is the best option to win now. I think I've seen enough to believe that. Marrone deserves credit for making the right call here.

However, he does not seem to me to be a future. Can he win now? Sure. Can he win enough for the playoffs? Maybe. But before we go down the road of claiming we don't need a playoff caliber QB let's simply set that argument aside and address whether Orton can do two things... 1) win a game or two when it's all on him to do so and 2) not lose us games where he is a major reason that we lost.

If Orton is nothing more than a stopgap we are unfortunately stuck QB searching again. I want contingency plans. If we want to extend him based on confidence in his abilities based on the aforementioned questions, I immediately want the search for the future to begin anew.

Can EJ still be the answer? It's possible. But I want competition for the QB-of-the-future position with a legit prospect to begin as soon as possible.

In the end, I'm fine with a veteran QB sized contract if we are convinced Orton is the short term answer. But, I'm also fine with seeing where he can take us this year and letting him leave.

What say you?

Don't do it now like they did with Dickless Jauron at 5-1 in 2008 and Fitz at 5-2 in 2011. Wait until the season is over and see were this goes....

20. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I think Kyle has done a great job, and want to see him as the Bills QB. I think he's just what they need. That being said, the bolded part of your post is ridiculous to even think.
    Well we can agree to disagree.
    i didn't say or intend that Orton was in the same class as those guys. I'm not crazy.
    Only that over the last four games I doubt that with this O, this OC calling plays and behind this line either of those guys would have played any better or made more big time throws.
    The point was that he may be playing now at a higher level than he is capable of sustaining.
    If he can continue at this pace he will be legit as a NFL starter and perhaps in the top half.
    His career suggests that's not where he belongs but maybe with the changes in the game favoring the pass and protecting the QB, the greater emphasis on QB smarts and preparation (Orton's long suit) etc...he can outperform his career averages, possibly by a lot.
    And maybe he's a late bloomer like Gannon, Morten, Trent Green etc capable of his best play in his mid 30s.
    weve got eight more games to try and figure that out.

22. Post thanked by:

better days (10-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This thread is sooo Billsish...

We've got a QB playing really well and people want to get rid of him because he's not a hall of famer... We did this with Flutie, Bledsoe, and apparently some still haven't learned...

This baffles me. Some people were willing to give EJ years and all Ortons done is win and people want him replaced. We can get 5 good years out of Orton so let's lock him up and during this tenure a good QB will slide to us in the draft, take him and develop him, but Orton needs to stay.

24. Post thanked by:

IlluminatusUIUC (10-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post

We've got a QB playing really well and people want to get rid of him because he's not a hall of famer... We did this with Flutie, Bledsoe, and apparently some still haven't learned...

This baffles me. Some people were willing to give EJ years and all Ortons done is win and people want him replaced. We can get 5 good years out of Orton so let's lock him up and during this tenure a good QB will slide to us in the draft, take him and develop him, but Orton needs to stay.
    Agree.
    Unless he craps out (which I don't expect) come year end he'll pretty much be in the drivers seat.
    And he looks to be a great guy to help groom the next man up.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by starrymessenger View Post
    Agree.
    Unless he craps out (which I don't expect) come year end he'll pretty much be in the drivers seat.
    And he looks to be a great guy to help groom the next man up.
    Do you go by the same name on the BBMB?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I must have missed those posts.

WHO wants Orton replaced?

The only discussion I have seen in this thread is if/when Orton should be offered a longer contract.

I think everyone wants him on the team next year.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't want to boot him, but I also don't want to throw a massive contract at a good month of play. We're still paying off the last time we did that.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

29. Post thanked by: