Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone want to re-sign Orton?

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Does anyone want to re-sign Orton?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buff...-buffalo-bills

Apparently he has a player option and some fans want him extended before he might leave in free agency.

Personally, I would extend him if a) he takes us to the playoffs and b) we are convinced he will do it again after this year. Anything else seems like perpetuating mediocrity to me and I'd rather keep looking for the true answer.

He is the best option to win now. I think I've seen enough to believe that. Marrone deserves credit for making the right call here.

However, he does not seem to me to be a future. Can he win now? Sure. Can he win enough for the playoffs? Maybe. But before we go down the road of claiming we don't need a playoff caliber QB let's simply set that argument aside and address whether Orton can do two things... 1) win a game or two when it's all on him to do so and 2) not lose us games where he is a major reason that we lost.

If Orton is nothing more than a stopgap we are unfortunately stuck QB searching again. I want contingency plans. If we want to extend him based on confidence in his abilities based on the aforementioned questions, I immediately want the search for the future to begin anew.

Can EJ still be the answer? It's possible. But I want competition for the QB-of-the-future position with a legit prospect to begin as soon as possible.

In the end, I'm fine with a veteran QB sized contract if we are convinced Orton is the short term answer. But, I'm also fine with seeing where he can take us this year and letting him leave.

What say you?

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Does anyone want to re-sign Orton?

He's due to make $5.4M next year. I really can't see anyone signing him for more.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

3. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Orton has found a good situation for himself. I don't see him wanting to leave after this season if things continue to go well. I didn't realize next year was an option year, so the Bills should and likely will extend him. They key will be structuring the contract so that they can part ways easily in a couple years if it doesn't work out. I don't want a Fitzpatrick situation where he's still one of the biggest cap hits on our team a couple years after he's gone.

I wouldn't give up on EJ still being the future until we can see if he's developed at all by learning from Orton. He definitely at least seems to be embracing that role for now. They should still always be looking to add young competition though.

So I say extend Orton, continue to groom EJ, and add another young qb. There's no reason to get rid of a qb until you have someone better to replace them.

5. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (10-29-2014),Mace (10-29-2014),ServoBillieves (10-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,085 Times in 3,568 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I say wait until the season plays out. They made a mistake signing Fitz and I don't want the same thing repeated with Orton.

7. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (10-29-2014),Historian (10-30-2014),imbondz (10-29-2014),jamze132 (10-29-2014),Mad Bomber (10-30-2014),Night Train (10-29-2014),Novacane (10-29-2014),sudzy (10-30-2014),trapezeus (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

5.6MM is nothing for a starter. if he thinks he's the starter next year, he doesn't take the option. if the bills end up with an amazing experience (playoffs), then he'll walk and we will have to pay to keep him.

even if he has an outlier season for himself, it's worth 12-16MM per season for 3-4 seasons if he shows 12 games of above .500 football.

that really will stop gap us and give us a chance to either develop EJ or get another guy in to push ej and eventually take over. either way, EJ or the rookie won't have pressure to step in right away. and EJ would be a good backup since he's already capable of playing .500 ball.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No need to think about this just yet.

The guy has started four games for the Bills.

10. Post thanked by:

gebobs (10-29-2014),imbondz (10-29-2014),jimmifli (10-29-2014),Novacane (10-29-2014),swiper (11-14-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    I say wait until the season plays out. They made a mistake signing Fitz and I don't want the same thing repeated with Orton.
    Yeah. Wait for him to leave. Then offer him a deal.
    10 Commandments of the D
    1. Never stop Rocking.
    2. Legalize all drugs.
    3. Quit your day job.
    4. All Religion should be taxed.
    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
    6. F**k her gently.
    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

12. Post thanked by:

swiper (11-14-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Orton is a smooth operator.
    No doubt he knew that the Bills were a team with young talent on O and a solid D. A team a guard or two away from being legit as contenders for the Division or a wild card spot - if they had a QB.
    He thinks he's that guy. The last person who will ever sell Kyle Orton short is Kyle Orton.
    If he holds up and has a truly stellar year he knows he will be in demand.
    If he leads the Bills to the playoffs he will have Whaley exactly where he wants him. That's his personal agenda right now.
    He wants money. As much money as he can get.
    Who can blame him?

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The ball is in Orton's court with the player option. The thing to keep in mind is that he's only 31 and with his style of play can have about 5 more productive years.

How well he does is the obvious measure for us, but how much of a beating he takes here or how much he likes being here is probably more relevant to Orton. He could have skated along comfortably behind Romo for years in Dallas, or someone else will surely want him if he lights it up here.

The Bills won't rush to extend him waiting to see, and Orton won't rush to extend waiting to see.

Personally, and I think this is both the Bills and Orton's perspective, I'd simply give him a chance to play his way into a new contract, in which case he's worth it, or not, in which case he isn't. I'd keep the channels open and friendly.

I don't think either the Bills or Orton will go along with middlin' or less. At the very least Orton will be able to pick his backup job again now. "Maybe" doesn't suit either side.

15. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (10-29-2014),YardRat (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There's roster spots where you to try to save money and roster spots where you don't.

For example, we overpaid Aaron Williams last season by signing him early. I suspect that contract will be a bargain by the final two years. If we're wrong, we aren't sunk, and if we're right we can overpay a free agent. It's a smart risk.

We tried the same thing at QB with FitzBeard. Unfortunately, when the QB doesn't work out it kills the team. So we rushed into a deal hoping to save a few million per season and we're still paying for it. Orton won't leave if we pay him a fair market rate, so there isn't much risk in waiting. Worst case, we end up paying him what he's worth. QB isn't the position to worry about cap space.

17. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (10-30-2014),DraftBoy (10-30-2014),Lucidvizion (10-30-2014),ublinkwescore (10-29-2014),WagonCircler (10-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    He's due to make $5.4M next year. I really can't see anyone signing him for more.
    Well, NOBODY except the Bills can sign him for more next year.

I have said if Kyle continues to play as well as he has for the rest of the season, I expect the Bills to make the playoffs & would like to see them extend his contract.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Anyone can if Orton exercises his option. It's a player option, means he can choose another year or bye bye.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post

I have said if Kyle continues to play as well as he has for the rest of the season, I expect the Bills to make the playoffs & would like to see them extend his contract.
    How do you figure that?
    Anybody can pay him whatever they want, if he's agreeable.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Anyone can if Orton exercises his option. It's a player option, means he can choose another year or bye bye.
    Isn't it "if he doesn't exercise"?
    Or is it that he is already under contract and can opt out?

22. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,525 Times in 17,418 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Orton is no dummy, and the manner in which he leveraged himself out of Dallas and put him into the best position possible should be proof enough of that. If next year is voidable on his say-so, you can bet the farm he will. Give him four more games, than check back on this thread prior to the last month of the season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by starrymessenger View Post
    Isn't it "if he doesn't exercise"?
    Or is it that he is already under contract and can opt out?
    It's 'voidable' so a two year contract that he can opt out of the second year, the way I understand it.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

24. Post thanked by:

Historian (10-30-2014),Mace (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Orton is no dummy, and the manner in which he leveraged himself out of Dallas and put him into the best position possible should be proof enough of that. If next year is voidable on his say-so, you can bet the farm he will. Give him four more games, than check back on this thread prior to the last month of the season.

- - - Updated - - -

It's 'voidable' so a two year contract that he can opt out of the second year, the way I understand it.
    Gotcha.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,288 Times in 13,721 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

EJ sucks.

We have no first round draft pick next year. The OL needs work and the RB situation is unclear, but the rest of the team is good enough to win now. We can't afford to keep that DL together forever.

Who are we going to get that's better? Who are we going to get that can win now?

I'd like to see us sign Orton for 2-3 more years and hope we can find a QB in the draft in that time.

27. Post thanked by:

TheBrownBear (10-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Decide at the end of the season. Anyone can have a hot streak for a few games.

29. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 26,288 Times in 13,721 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

btw I do agree we should see how the season plays out.

But I still don't see how we can get someone better before the 2016 draft, and even then he'll need a year or two to develop.

31. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, it's up to Orton. End of the year he can say ok, or bye bye. Ok means he accepts for price (without backdoor negotiation which there certainly would be), or say "Nah."

Player option, up to the player.

It's a good thing here, either we're both all in or not.