Thread: Eric Wood Has Been Struggling At Center

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Eric Wood Has Been Struggling At Center

I rarely see him call out a play after diagnosing the defense, turning his head back to the quarterback and pointing his left arm to the rest of the D making the call. Perhaps that is on Hackett, or me for not seeing it.

Whatever the case, Eric Wood has been just as guilty for negligent offensive line play midway in to this 2014 season.

At first I thought Eric Wood's play was lackluster because of the guards playing next to him.

Can't say that anymore though after last week.

I love the dude as a Buffalo Bill, love his attitude and enjoy listening to him every Monday at 4pm on WGR550, but have to admit that he has been struggling as of late.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669....6455&archive=1

Center Eric Wood (55, -5, 1.7) turned in his fourth performance out of the last five games that has yielded a negative plus-minus. Wood was unable to secure his blocks and was the sole reason a handful of plays were blown up in the backfield. Coming into the season he was depended on to be a calming force, and unfortunately he hasn’t been able to do it just yet. The debut for Kraig Urbik (55, 1, 2.7) went fairly well. Against a strong defensive front Urbik held his own and really only slipped up a couple of times. He was a tremendous upgrade over rookie Cyril Richardson.

-------------

I'm no expert at offensive line coaching, but something I noticed about him this year is that he seems to be playing too fast and too small.

When Wood totally flubbed his shotgun snap to Orton a few games ago, it was because he was over anticipating the pass rush.

Wood looks smaller than last year.

Chubby last year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Wood

Skinny this year: https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...gTA6PoLoee64Ht

Dude's lost weight, maybe too much and that's why he's playing too fast?

We need Hogs, not Hogettes!

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/ros...-80ff3f3995f2/

Wood needs to eat more pork and beans! With mashed potatoes, extra gravy, pot roast beef topped with caramelized onions, and roasted bison meat.
    Thanksgiving is coming soon. Why not get a head start?

!uc* the turkey.

Go Bills.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,591 Times in 17,465 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Eric Wood Has Been Struggling At Center

Yeah, I've mentioned it a couple of times over the first eight games...he certainly isn't helping any. Wood has never been the drive-blocker/mauler that would be ideal at center, even though he came out of college with a little bit of attitude. I've seen instances where he completely whiffs a call, gets blown by, blown up, etc at times all season long. I still think part of the problem, though, is coaching and scheme related. IMO, unless it's man blocking on short yardage or an up-the-gut run, they need to take the forward first step out of his assignment...let him pop up (not too high, obviously), read and react.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The interior as a whole has been bad this year but I don't know what to make of Wood. Is Wood trying to do to much because the man to his left and right aren't up to par or is he on the decline? I'd say it's probably more the first than the second.

- - - Updated - - -

The interior as a whole has been bad this year but I don't know what to make of Wood. Is Wood trying to do to much because the man to his left and right aren't up to par or is he on the decline? I'd say it's probably more the first than the second.

4. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That's what makes it so damning on the coaches. People who were very serviceable/good can't struggle the following year with everyone. The number of times you see an OL blocking no one suggests the coaches don't have them prepared.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not to state the obvious or beat a dead horse, but I bet he misses Levitre bad right about now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/201...bster-timeline

Levitre is overpaid and is the weakest link on the Titans OL by far.

-Overall Webster has done a decent job drafting, but his free agent signings have been awful. The Titans seem to miss twice for every hit they get, and that doesn't translate to success in the NFL. If the Titans are going to turn their franchise around, they may need to bring in someone that knows when a free agent is worth the money, or when they are about to get "Levitre'd"
    Last edited by YardRat; 11-02-2014 at 03:48 AM.

8. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (11-02-2014)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i hate to say it but wood is overrated. a good center makes the entire line better and he doesnt seem capable of doing that. hes an average nfl starting center at best. that aint bad but the bills should be investing some mid to late round picks to try and find his replacement
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

10. Post thanked by:

Fixxxer (11-02-2014),YardRat (11-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The o-line was one of the tops in the NFL when it had Glenn-Levitre-Wood-Urbik-Pears and was coached by Joe D'Alessandris.

Marrone, a supposed o-line guru himself, let D'Alessandris go and put his own stooge in his place. Now fans here are reporting problems all across the line. Draw your own conclusions.

- - - Updated - - -

And the RBs were more productive!

12. Post thanked by:

better days (11-02-2014),BuffaloRedleg (11-02-2014),Bunion (11-02-2014),The last buffalo fan (11-03-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

When one is trying to do their own job and both the guards job, one look bad.

14. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,470 Times in 14,178 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Both Wood and Glenn has struggled this year. Pat Morris and his scheme are just bad.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

16. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (11-03-2014),YardRat (11-02-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    The o-line was one of the tops in the NFL when it had Glenn-Levitre-Wood-Urbik-Pears and was coached by Joe D'Alessandris.

Marrone, a supposed o-line guru himself, let D'Alessandris go and put his own stooge in his place. Now fans here are reporting problems all across the line. Draw your own conclusions.

- - - Updated - - -

And the RBs were more productive!
    Sometimes you've got to find out the hard way that an HC doesn't have time for side jobs. This so far appears to be one of those instances where the stats really did tell the whole story about Morris, as opposed to Crossman.

18. Post thanked by:

swiper (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Apparently Crossman insisted over the off-season to include some starters on ST's, and Marrone listened. Unfortunately, Morris also insisted that Urbik sucked and Pears was our best guard and Marrone listened to that too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He got extended and I'm not sure why. Injured repeatedly his first few years, not worth his draft slot. What this team needs is a guy like Grasu, total package C. Athletic as hell, can pull and get downfield. Not a fat plug who can't move, so this front office would pass on him even if he were somehow available in the draft.