Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Worst Dead Money Deals in the NFL

Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 912 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Worst Dead Money Deals in the NFL

Yes, by ALL MEANS lets wait until the season is over to do anything with Orton. So that he can freely walk away after the season. Because it's completely worth the risk of not having him here next year.
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

QBs don't leave good situations. He's the starter and putting up the best numbers of his career. He'll stay if we're the highest bidder. And we should be.

3. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

But we might not be. You just never know.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,583 Times in 17,460 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInRoch View Post
    But we might not be. You just never know.
    While true, I think Brandon, Whaley and even Nix have shown a willingness, or even preference, to be aggressive. They were willing to give Orton a contract that made him the highest paid back-up in the league, I don't see anybody offering Orton 'elite' money, so I would hope (if things work out well the rest of the season) they would be willing and able to give him a contract set by the market and all things being equal Orton would be willing to stay.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

6. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (11-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    While true, I think Brandon, Whaley and even Nix have shown a willingness, or even preference, to be aggressive. They were willing to give Orton a contract that made him the highest paid back-up in the league, I don't see anybody offering Orton 'elite' money, so I would hope (if things work out well the rest of the season) they would be willing and able to give him a contract set by the market and all things being equal Orton would be willing to stay.
    Nobody was giving him $5M/year to be a backup because that's a lot more than most backups make. And it's not like he's played well in the past few years. Now that he's looking good, and I stress that it's still way too early to be thinking about giving him an extension, more teams will look at him as a potential starter. Hell just look at Josh McCown.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There could be 8 weeks left in his Buffalo career - that's too early?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Nobody was giving him $5M/year to be a backup because that's a lot more than most backups make. And it's not like he's played well in the past few years.
    That's why I made the aggressive comment...Whaley wanted him, so he paid for him.

Now that he's looking good, and I stress that it's still way too early to be thinking about giving him an extension, more teams will look at him as a potential starter. Hell just look at Josh McCown.
    Potential starter yes (I kind of insinuated he would get other offers), elite money? Not so sure about that, which is why I mentioned Buffalo matching. McCown is only making $3.75 this year, with $10mil total potential...he's not even get paid what Orton is already so I don't understand your point in bringing him up.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That's why I made the aggressive comment...Whaley wanted him, so he paid for him.

Potential starter yes (I kind of insinuated he would get other offers), elite money? Not so sure about that, which is why I mentioned Buffalo matching. McCown is only making $3.75 this year, with $10mil total potential...he's not even get paid what Orton is already so I don't understand your point in bringing him up.
    I assumed McCown was given more than he was, which was actually a 2-year $10M with $4.75M this year, and a chance to earn an additional $5M in incentives. I guess they could give him a small deal, but it depends on what other teams may be pursuing him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

why are people mad at that dead money i see it as opportunity!

lots of money to pay a few guys who are due and enough to bring in one new serious FA someone on O probably the o line

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I assumed McCown was given more than he was, which was actually a 2-year $10M with $4.75M this year, and a chance to earn an additional $5M in incentives. I guess they could give him a small deal, but it depends on what other teams may be pursuing him.
    Yeah, I think I agree with your premise, I wasn't thinking Orton would be looking for a small deal by any means, and other teams will pursue him possibly (again, dependent on the rest of the season). I just think the offers aren't going to be crazy money, but it they will be a lot more than McCown got or what Orton is already making. And, I think Brandon and Whaley will be willing to match if they think they can get a couple more decent seasons out of him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, I think I agree with your premise, I wasn't thinking Orton would be looking for a small deal by any means, and other teams will pursue him possibly (again, dependent on the rest of the season). I just think the offers aren't going to be crazy money, but it they will be a lot more than McCown got or what Orton is already making. And, I think Brandon and Whaley will be willing to match if they think they can get a couple more decent seasons out of him.
    It's hard to say. In 8 games and 5 starts, McCown threw for 66.5%, an 8.2 YPA, and 13 TDs to 1 INT, and only got that deal Tampa gave him. And he's just as much a journeyman as Orton has been. But I know that whatever it takes to sign him, Pegs will do it.