Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Worst Dead Money Deals in the NFL

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Worst Dead Money Deals in the NFL

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/10/29/nfl-20-worst-dead-money-contracts-matt-schaub-desean-jackson

8. Ryan Fitzpatrick, former Bills quarterback

2014 Cap hit: $7,000,000
    Leading up to Fitzpatrick’s first season as Buffalo’s full-time starter in 2011, he had compiled a mediocre 32-25 TD-INT ratio across two years as the Bills part-time first-stringer. But when he helped the downtrodden franchise jump out to a 4-2 record, Fitzpatrick was handed a six-year, $59 million extension midseason.
    Buffalo won its next contest to improve to 5-2 – then lost seven in a row to fall out of playoff contention, piling onto the woes of Bills fans. After another lackluster 6-10 campaign the following season, Fitzpatrick was released four years before his contract was due to end. He’s still managed to find starting jobs since in Tennessee and Houston, though neither franchise has found themselves as smitten by Fitzpatrick’s near-perfect Wonderlic score nor his fearsome beard as Buffalo’s front-office evidently was.

-------------

2. Stevie Johnson, former Bills wide receiver

2014 Cap hit: $10,225,000
    Even after a few clashes with former Bills head coach Chan Gailey, Johnson’s future with Buffalo seemed bright after signing a five-year, $36.25 million deal with the team in March 2012. He went on to have another stellar year, becoming the only player in franchise history to record three consecutive 1,000-yard receiving campaigns.
    But things quickly deteriorated last year, as Johnson caught just 52 passes out of the 100 thrown his way for 597 yards. The Bills drafted Johnson’s heir, Sammy Watkins, in the NFL draft in May before trading Johnson to the 49ers just one day later for a conditional mid-round pick in 2015.
    Amazingly, two of Buffalo’s top three highest-paid players (Mario Williams, Johnson and Fitzpatrick) don’t even play for them anymore.

2. Post thanked by:

swiper (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Worst Dead Money Deals in the NFL

4 of our 8 highest salaries are already on the dline, and two of them are going to be looking for big raises pretty soon.

Two big pluses for the dead cap situation = 1)for cap accounting purposes, both are gone after this season, and 2)for actual cash/expenses, neither are a financial burden that was passed on to the Pegs' pocketbook.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

hard to criticize either of those deals at the time. fitz was performing at a probowl level before he decided to pull a jauron. and stevie was by far the bills biggest receiving threat for quite some time before he shimmied his way outta town

i hope stevie ends up back here somehow. he ran afoul of doug somehow, which i could see how a coach would tire of his mild antics. but he seems pretty buffalo to me and maybe after a little time apart he could come home. aww snif
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Fitzpatrick has NEVER performed at a Pro Bowl level.

6. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (11-02-2014),HHURRICANE (11-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    hard to criticize either of those deals at the time. fitz was performing at a probowl level before he decided to pull a jauron. and stevie was by far the bills biggest receiving threat for quite some time before he shimmied his way outta town

i hope stevie ends up back here somehow. he ran afoul of doug somehow, which i could see how a coach would tire of his mild antics. but he seems pretty buffalo to me and maybe after a little time apart he could come home. aww snif
    Actually, I found it quite easy to criticize the Fitz deal at the time. I was adamant about waiting until the season played out or nearly played out. I could not believe they did that.

The thing to criticize about Stevie is that we traded him at all. The timing was horrible with over $10 million in dead money this year. Somebody is not telling us something...why the Bills did this has not been explained to my satisfaction. Can you imagine Orton throwing the ball to Watkins, Stevie, and Robert Woods? As it turns out, we are playing Hogan instead of Stevie, basically. Sitting on that dead money.

8. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (11-01-2014),Novacane (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, the good news is that money will be off the books next year.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,355 Times in 7,250 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yep. There was no reason to do the Fitz deal when they did it.

11. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks Buddy Nix and Brandon......A-holes

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Fitzpatrick has NEVER performed at a Pro Bowl level.
    True, but seeing what marginal QBs get paid now (Flacco, ASmith), I'd say that was a pretty fair deal for how he was playing at the time.

Bottom line here is $176 million come off the books. Just in time... not having a 1st means having money to spend in FA can help absorb that loss.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

check the stats thru that first half season. fitz would have been a legit probowl candidate if he had sustained that. fax is fax

so yes there was a reason to extend him. if they waited until someone playing at that level got close to facy it would cost a lot more. it appeared fitz had put it together as a low end long term answer. those appearances proved wrong, but based on the data at the time it was a reasonable gamble

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Panic View Post
    True, but seeing what marginal QBs get paid now (Flacco, ASmith), I'd say that was a pretty fair deal for how he was playing at the time.

Bottom line here is $176 million come off the books. Just in time... not having a 1st means having money to spend in FA can help absorb that loss.
    It's always funny how people think they know what QBs are good and which are marginal. Russell Wilson, who everybody loves, finished with 3357 yards last year. Smith was within 50 yards of that. And Chad Henne right behind that. And all three were considerably ahead of Griffin and Kaepernick.

Moreover, Flacco passed for over 3900 yards. Better than all of them.

So if Flacco and Smith are "marginal" then Russell Wilson is too and Kaepernick outright sucks.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...ards/year/2013

[/waiting for the "stats don't matter" reply]
    Last edited by swiper; 11-01-2014 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

check the stats thru that first half season. fitz would have been a legit probowl candidate if he had sustained that. fax is fax

so yes there was a reason to extend him. if they waited until someone playing at that level got close to facy it would cost a lot more. it appeared fitz had put it together as a low end long term answer. those appearances proved wrong, but based on the data at the time it was a reasonable gamble
    Which stats are those again?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...an-fitzpatrick

Thanks
    Thanked 12,355 Times in 7,250 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They could of waited till the season was almost over. If his good play continued it wouldn't of cost that much more. Even if it did I'd rather pay more for a QB that proves he can play well in the colder half of the season. I feel the same way about Orton.

18. Post thanked by:

swiper (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    They could of waited till the season was almost over. If his good play continued it wouldn't of cost that much more. Even if it did I'd rather pay more for a QB that proves he can play well in the colder half of the season. I feel the same way about Orton.
    Agree. And agree.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hindsight is 20-20. You can't ***** about the team not being proactive in signing guys, then ***** when they do and it doesn't pan out.

21. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (11-01-2014),MikeInRoch (11-02-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Hindsight is 20-20. You can't ***** about the team not being proactive in signing guys, then ***** when they do and it doesn't pan out.
    The exception being QB where being right is so much more important than saving money.

23. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

'Being right' about a QB is an exception in itself. I really don't think some (not you, jimmi) appreciate how rare it is to get your hands on a P.Manning or T.Brady, let alone have two of them playing at the same time for most of their careers. Not that you have to necessarily latch onto one of that caliber to be 'right'.
    Last edited by YardRat; 11-01-2014 at 02:31 PM.

25. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    'Being right' about a QB is an exception in itself. I really don't think some (not you, jimmi) appreciate how rare it is to get your hands on a P.Manning or T.Brady, let alone have two of them playing at the same time for most of their careers. Not that you have to necessarily latch onto one of that caliber to be 'right'.
    I mean right in the sense of being worth their contract. Fitz had a history: 7th round pick, traded for a 7th round pick, more INTs than TDs, low completion %, etc, etc, We rushed to sign him after a fast start. If we were right, we'd get a probowl QB for the cost of an average starter. If we were wrong we'd be (over)paying the price for years.

I'd much rather we waited for a full season to see if the new Fitz was really new, or just lucky. Just like today with Orton, maybe he's better now, or maybe he's a borderline starter and worth about what we're currently paying him.

27. Post thanked by:

YardRat (11-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,070 Times in 3,555 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That's a net $17M gain in cap space for 2015. I like it. They'll need it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 911 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    Yes. Or they could have watched him leave. Why does everyone assume he would have stayed with Buffalo?
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."