Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trading Up for Watkins Was Folly -- Jerry Sullivan

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Trading Up for Watkins Was Folly -- Jerry Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    Wow really??? Ok lets put Sammy on the Steelers. I wonder how he would do playing opposite of Antonio Brown, with one hell of a RB, and a 2x Superbowl winning QB tossing to him.
    Care to comment on how Evans and Benjamin are outperforming Watkins with the QBs that they have?

Or Beckum with Manning who's done about what Orton has with the entire NFL media hammering Manning this season?

Or Hurns and Robinson with Bortles in Jax?

Nice of you to go after the low hanging fruit, feel free to comment on the others.

The bottom line is that Watkins isn't as good as everyone thought, that's all there is to it. He was supposed to be prolific with the ball in his hands, not dependent upon the QB. Have you seen that to the extent that he's special? I haven't and neither have most football viewers.

The fact that a 4th round pick is doing better than Watkins on a per-game basis is all we really need to know, it shouldn't even matter who the QB is unless it's Brady, Rodgers, or Peyton. Bryant is also the 3rd WR on that team, Watkins is the 1st on ours.

Also, try explaining how in his starts Hogan is only marginally behind Watkins on a per-game basis too, obviously with the exact same QB.
    Last edited by Fletch; 11-19-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    Polian left the Colts in terrible shape, his son was **** too. Polian gets too much credit, go ask Greg Gabriel who was the one behind some of those Bills teams, he won't answer Polian, pretty sure he'll respond to you on twitter. Polian gets way too much credit.
    Your point who Pegula brings in is well taken, but I think you'll have more trouble selling the above about Polian. He took **** here in Buffalo and turned it into what it was in the early 90s here and his residual management kept this team competitive for another five or six seasons after he left.

He had a good track record with Carolina too and brought in talent to put them into the AFCCG in their second season. You can argue that all you want, but he brought talent to the Bills, Colts, and to a lesser extent Carolina. He's a couple levels above what we've had here either way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Your point who Pegula brings in is well taken, but I think you'll have more trouble selling the above about Polian. He took **** here in Buffalo and turned it into what it was in the early 90s here and his residual management kept this team competitive for another five or six seasons after he left.

He had a good track record with Carolina too and brought in talent to put them into the AFCCG in their second season. You can argue that all you want, but he brought talent to the Bills, Colts, and to a lesser extent Carolina. He's a couple levels above what we've had here either way.
    All I'm saying is go ask Mr. Gabriel about the 90s Bills. The scouts did a lot of the work, the guys under Polian, some of which were there before he arrived were the ones who put up those big boards and told Polian who to go get. Don't get me wrong, Polian did a good job, he put people in place and trusted their information. All I'm saying is he's sometimes given too much credit.

The point main point is, why are they waiting so long to bring in an outside consultant?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

look i wouldnt have given 2 1st round picks for anyone but a sure fire franchise qb.

but its not sammy's fault he was drafted here.

i'm 100% behind sammy i wish he would act like just another player till there is a real reason to act a certain way. but i like him

5. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (11-20-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The point main point is, why are they waiting so long to bring in an outside consultant?
    Gotcha. Yeah, I agree with that although I'm not really up on the news about what Pegula's doing behind the scenes to figure things out.

I guess what kinda stuns me is that everyone says he's a fan, well if he's a fan, then why does he need a consultant or panel to figure things out? Shouldn't most of it be obvious other than who is going to replace them after, hopefully, he fires the lot? Maybe that's what it's all about, the consulting that is, I have no idea.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    look i wouldnt have given 2 1st round picks for anyone but a sure fire franchise qb.

but its not sammy's fault he was drafted here.

i'm 100% behind sammy i wish he would act like just another player till there is a real reason to act a certain way. but i like him
    Yeah, fully agree although that QB had better be a sure thing.

But people here need to learn to separate the criticism of how Sammy was obtained, thereby costing us future resources to improve the team, from Watkins' play otherwise.

I don't recall anyone suggesting that Sammy's not good, but even most of his most ardent supporters and those that see (for whatever reasons) that he's something more than simply a good WR at this point, seem to agree that he wasn't worth what we gave up. That's all anyone has said.

This isn't about Sammy, or shouldn't be, it's about the Bills and how to improve them. We'll never improve with moves like that. I'm tellin' ya, this is going to hit hard come draft day.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Don't get me wrong, Polian did a good job, he put people in place and trusted their information.
    So you're whining like a ***** and pissing all over Polian over the suggestion that the Bills bring him in to put people in the right places?

Just STFU.

You Polian haters a f u c king hilarious.

The guy built an AMAZING team here that went to four Super Bowls.

He went to Carolina and had a team in the conference championship game the, two years earlier DIDN'T EVEN EXIST.

He went to Indy, and built a Super Bowl winner.

Give your BS a rest. You sound like a total idiot.
    Last edited by WagonCircler; 11-19-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Care to comment on how Evans and Benjamin are outperforming Watkins with the QBs that they have?

Or Beckum with Manning who's done about what Orton has with the entire NFL media hammering Manning this season?

Or Hurns and Robinson with Bortles in Jax?

Nice of you to go after the low hanging fruit, feel free to comment on the others.

The bottom line is that Watkins isn't as good as everyone thought, that's all there is to it. He was supposed to be prolific with the ball in his hands, not dependent upon the QB. Have you seen that to the extent that he's special? I haven't and neither have most football viewers.

The fact that a 4th round pick is doing better than Watkins on a per-game basis is all we really need to know, it shouldn't even matter who the QB is unless it's Brady, Rodgers, or Peyton. Bryant is also the 3rd WR on that team, Watkins is the 1st on ours.

Also, try explaining how in his starts Hogan is only marginally behind Watkins on a per-game basis too, obviously with the exact same QB.
    You're comparing apples to oranges. You're assuming that Watkins couldn't go to any of these teams and post the numbers that Beckum, Evans and Benjamin are with their QBs. But that's not the question. The question should be could Beckum, Evans, or Benjamin come to Buffalo in our offense and post the same numbers that they have now? That answer would most likely be no. You evaluate players based on their stats way too much...

For instance Evans lost the Bucs their game against the Rams. He was injuried but he could have made it off the field but made the mistake of staying down. You never mention that. Beckum had a huge drop against the 49ers this past sunday which was the final nail in their coffin. Sammy on last minute drives has been clutch. That's never mentioned.

Benjamin is very solid however I still think Watkins is superior -IMO of course, I can't argue. Benjamin has done very well

Hurns and Robinson are different. Cecil Shorts is consistantly hurt. The Jags WRs are composed of very young players including the two rookies. Who else does Bortles throw to? their run game was garbage until week 9. So of course the rookies have numbers.

Hogan? We watch the same games, is he on Watkins level? Or is he just a very reliable possesion WR. Who's had two good games in a row because our QB and O-line have been terrible and we've been forced to dink and dunk to our slot reciever? Also is Hogan really that good? Or has Watkins and Woods been getting the bulk of the opposing teams defensive attention thus leaving Hogan to do his thing? Idk we'll see Hogan will be getting attention now.

Either way we're both wrong in a sense. It's way too early to say which WR is better
    Last edited by CoolBreeze; 11-19-2014 at 05:04 PM.

10. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (11-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You're comparing apples to oranges. You're assuming that Watkins couldn't go to any of these teams and post the numbers that Beckum, Evans and Benjamin are with their QBs. But that's not the question. The question should be could Beckum, Evans, or Benjamin come to Buffalo in our offense and post the same numbers that they have now? That answer would most likely be no..
    Sorry pal. You're lost. The answer would be yes. This has been the best WR draft in a long time. NFLN couldn't shut up about it this week.

12. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-19-2014),TacklingDummy (11-19-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Sorry pal. You're lost. The answer would be yes. This has been the best WR draft in a long time. NFLN couldn't shut up about it this week.
    I don't think so pal, maybe I am indeed lost. Or maybe you think Orton and Manuel could magically get those guys the ball more than they have for Watkins. Under Hackett that seems more delusional than not.

14. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (11-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,695 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"Trading up for Watkins was folly"?!?!? Well...duh!

Of course it was. The Bills have ****ed up their drafts for almost their whole history. Little respite from total incompetence during the late 80's and early 90's. They even tried their hardest to **** those up, not even using their first pick to choose Jim Kelly.

In fact, the Buffalo Bills have never used their first pick to choose a QB, until 2013 when they reached for EJ.

The Watkins pick was such a bad move, Pagula should clean house of every last jerk that "manages" the Bills. They all suck...right down to every last coach. Clean house and build this team from the bottom up starting with a proven, big time GM who has a history of being a great football mind, and knows how to manage a NFL team.

I don't know who that is, but it is imperative that Pagula find him.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You're comparing apples to oranges. You're assuming that Watkins couldn't go to any of these teams and post the numbers that Beckum, Evans and Benjamin are with their QBs. But that's not the question. The question should be could Beckum, Evans, or Benjamin come to Buffalo in our offense and post the same numbers that they have now?
    No, THAT is NOT the question. The question is, whether the Bills would be better off with one of those WRs PLUS next year's first and fourth round picks.

That's the ONLY question.

Paying the price we did for Watkins was like putting $4,000 rims on a car with an engine that spews oil and has 200,000 miles on it.

The rims don't do a damn bit of good if the car doesn't drive.

17. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-19-2014),Mace (11-19-2014)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    The rims don't do a damn bit of good if the car doesn't drive.
    Oh yeah. You just perfectly ripped off one of my favorite analogies, Mr. Man. Well done !

19. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (11-19-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hogan? We watch the same games, is he on Watkins level? Or is he just a very reliable possesion WR. Who's had two good games in a row because our QB and O-line have been terrible and we've been forced to dink and dunk to our slot reciever? Also is Hogan really that good? Or has Watkins and Woods been getting the bulk of the opposing teams defensive attention thus leaving Hogan to do his thing? Idk we'll see Hogan will be getting attention now.
    Yards are yards, catches are catches, and TDs are TDs. Hogan is having a very good year in the games he's played. I think you're way overrating Watkins, I'm not really seeing this "level" thing regarding him. He's good, but he's hardly a phenom or amazing. He definitely isn't special.

Either way we're both wrong in a sense. It's way too early to say which WR is better
    I disagree. I don't see the hype on Watkins prior to the draft either.

Either way, going on odds alone it's a longshot that he's that much better than all of the other 1st (and even 2nd) round WRs to have justified the extra picks.

We have a team to build, not merely some excitement to create at a single position and we can't afford to give up picks unnecessarily like that for risks at getting additional performance that we're not getting.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Lots of sources have brought it up. A lot of it has to do with the rules changes too making the transition from college to the NFL that much easier for WRs though. Rookie class records like that aren't just shattered arbitrarily.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think so pal, maybe I am indeed lost. Or maybe you think Orton and Manuel could magically get those guys the ball more than they have for Watkins. Under Hackett that seems more delusional than not.
    I think you are a little lost on this issue. It's not like the other rooks are getting great seasons from their QBs and some of those QBs are actually worse than Orton.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,895 Times in 4,355 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Giving up next years first and fourth for Watkins is almost as bad as drafting Maybin.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Giving up next years first and fourth for Watkins is almost as bad as drafting Maybin.
    Well, for Maybin we got nothing. Here we got something, but nothing that couldn't have been gotten with our original pick, maybe something even better.

The real question is what will we be missing out on with what would have been our 1st this year.

Problem is that if every two years we use two 1st-rounders to get a Watkins type then we'll never build up quickly enough.

It's just time for new FO people.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    So you're whining like a ***** and pissing all over Polian over the suggestion that the Bills bring him in to put people in the right places?

Just STFU.

You Polian haters a f u c king hilarious.

The guy built an AMAZING team here that went to four Super Bowls.

He went to Carolina and had a team in the conference championship game the, two years earlier DIDN'T EVEN EXIST.

He went to Indy, and built a Super Bowl winner.

Give your BS a rest. You sound like a total idiot.
    Straight with the insults. Love it. Why hasn't Polian found a job since leaving the Colts? Nothing but horror stories the last few years in Indy, dude mailed it in for half a decade. I'm not ****ting on Polian, he's done good things, but why are we always trying to relive the past? How did the Marv Levy experiment work out? Lets face it, you're the one who's clueless, you don't really follow the sport that closely, so you pick a name you know and run with it. How about we get some fresh ideas instead of reaching into the bag of yesteryear?

Hey, I got a good idea guys, how about we hire Cowher, has that been mentioned before? Is Bill Walsh available?

Polian built the Bills all by himself, forget everyone else who helped him. He will come here and build us a winner in no time, the all mighty WagonCircler has spoken.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You want nothing to do with Harbaugh, because SF can't wait to get rid of him, but you want to bring back Polian to consult even though no other team wants anything to do with him. How's that for logic? Reject the guy who's had recent and immediate success in the NFL, who also turned around a failure of a college football program and did so by beating top flight programs with inferior talent, but welcome back with open arms a guy who no one wants anything to do with besides ESPN. Polian and his son did nothing to replenish the Colts system the last half decade he was there, left the team in shambles. Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.
    Last edited by kingJofNYC; 11-19-2014 at 10:56 PM.