Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMQ takes BUF's coaching to task.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Unhappy TMQ takes BUF's coaching to task.

..."Buck-Buck-Brawkkkkkk: Trailing by 10 points in the fourth quarter at Miami, the Bills faced fourth-and-6 in Dolphins territory -- and sent in the punt unit. Words fail me. One reason for Buffalo's league-worst, 15-year playoff drought -- the Bills haven't been to the postseason in this century -- is timorous coaches who play not to lose rather than play to win. The last three especially -- Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey and now Doug Marrone -- were wedded to conservative tactics, launching punt after punt in opposition territory and never seeming to realize this had anything to do with their combined 51-80 record. In a span of five days -- at home versus Kansas City, then the Miami road game -- the Bills lost two games while scoring just one touchdown. Not only did Marrone order punts in opposition territory versus both the Chiefs and Dolphins; not only did Marrone punt on fourth-and-1 near midfield when trailing Kansas City in the fourth quarter. Four times in five days the Bills had fourth-and-goal or fourth-and-short in the red zone, and all four times Marrone sent in the kicking unit. The Bills face yet another housecleaning in the offseason, but this time the entire front office should go, too. It's the front office that hires the timid coaches and makes the nutty draft-day decisions.

With Buffalo and Miami each 5-4 at kickoff, the game was essentially an elimination contest, since at least 10 wins will be required for an AFC wild card this season. Buffalo is now all but mathematically done, while at 6-4, Miami joins the postseason conversation coming off three consecutive strong performances -- emphatic home wins versus the Chargers and Bills and a close road loss at Detroit. Down the stretch, Miami has winnable dates against Minnesota and Jersey/B twice. The Dolphins' issue is their other final opponents are Baltimore, Denver and New England. Playing at Denver this coming Sunday, Miami has an opportunity to knock on the door of the league's elite."...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/...ng-quarterback
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

2. Post thanked by:

imbondz (11-19-2014),Mace (11-19-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: TMQ takes BUF's coaching to task.

Easterbrook grew up in Buffalo and is a Bills fan. He understands the frustration.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Easterbrook calls out cowardly punting and he's right to.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

5. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (11-18-2014)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

While it's a long road ahead, at 5-5 they are far from "all but mathematically" eliminated.

7. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (11-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    While it's a long road ahead, at 5-5 they are far from "all but mathematically" eliminated.
    They are basically eliminated but not mathematically yet, "all but mathematically eliminated" perfectly sums up the Bills situation, especially when they are in 8th place for the 2 wild cards (1.5 games out of the final wild card) & have games coming up against Denver, Green Bay & New England.
    The only way the Bills are seeing the playoffs is on TV.

9. Post thanked by:

better days (11-19-2014),HHURRICANE (11-21-2014),Mace (11-19-2014),Mad Max (11-18-2014),swiper (11-19-2014),trapezeus (11-18-2014),Typ0 (11-19-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Your friendly wager with me that a 9-7 team will make the playoffs in the AFC is already in jeopardy. KC's a shoe-in for 10-6 now.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

KC is the most overrated team… We should of had them, twice.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Your friendly wager with me that a 9-7 team will make the playoffs in the AFC is already in jeopardy. KC's a shoe-in for 10-6 now.
    We will see. Denver lost to St. Louis, so that proves that anything can still happen really.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

"It's the front office that hires the timid coaches and makes the nutty draft-day decisions"

Russ Brandon needs to go away. This turd has been skating by all this time. Why Isn't anyone holding him accountable? It's his coach..and his plan

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We will see. Denver lost to St. Louis, so that proves that anything can still happen really.
    Maybe insofar as Denver goes, but it'll be odd if both Denver and KC lose 4 of their remaining 6 games, particularly since neither's schedule is that tough despite playing each other.

Anything can happen regarding teams getting in, but again, it would be odd for a 9-7 to make it in the AFC this season. The three of the four teams in the AFCN that are playing this weekend all have very winnable games. If two win them they'll be 3-2 away from 10-6.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GreedoII View Post
    "It's the front office that hires the timid coaches and makes the nutty draft-day decisions"

Russ Brandon needs to go away. This turd has been skating by all this time. Why Isn't anyone holding him accountable? It's his coach..and his plan
    To Brandon's credit he isn't a football guy, but that then raises the question why his responsibilities spill over into that arena. We can't blame him for pretending to be one since he's been put in a certain role. It's clearly because of the way Ralph ran the team by leaning more on friendships than on competence in the area of football knowledge, which is exactly why he fired Polian, which is clearly among the dumbest decisions of any owners ever in pro football.

My fear is that Pegula will be similar since he's all about "all things Buffalo." Don't get me wrong, happy that he bought the team and all, but he seems far more concerned with building a downtown sports and business complex than he does about building a winner for the Bills. I may be way off on that, but so far he hasn't done anything for the Sabres except take them down despite the differences in the opinions of Sabres fans as to how and why that is.

I really think we find out after this season. Again, he's got a golden opportunity to clean house now, it's a once in a lifetime thing. As a fan he'd have to be a fool not to realize what the problems are with this team, which stem directly from the FO, and as an owner, a new one, he'd be remiss in not taking the opportunity to simply say that it's time to turn a page in the way the organization is run, tell everyone that it's nothing personal, and if he feels bad pay them all for an extra year or 6 months or whatever, and then put some people in there without ties to NYS or Pittsburgh that are capable of producing a winning team.

It really is that simple.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

By the way, I give you credit for your optimism.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Russ will be restricted to marketing under Pegula which he is very good at.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would not say Gailey had a play not to lose offensive system/philosophy. So far, he's the only one who knew what to do with Spiller. Gailey's mistake was Fitz.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    I would not say Gailey had a play not to lose offensive system/philosophy. So far, he's the only one who knew what to do with Spiller. Gailey's mistake was Fitz.
    That was a pretty big mistake though.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

To Brandon's credit he isn't a football guy, but that then raises the question why his responsibilities spill over into that arena. We can't blame him for pretending to be one since he's been put in a certain role. It's clearly because of the way Ralph ran the team by leaning more on friendships than on competence in the area of football knowledge, which is exactly why he fired Polian, which is clearly among the dumbest decisions of any owners ever in pro football.

My fear is that Pegula will be similar since he's all about "all things Buffalo." Don't get me wrong, happy that he bought the team and all, but he seems far more concerned with building a downtown sports and business complex than he does about building a winner for the Bills. I may be way off on that, but so far he hasn't done anything for the Sabres except take them down despite the differences in the opinions of Sabres fans as to how and why that is.

I see you point sure but Pegula is a sucesfull busines man and he surely can see the disfunction in the FO. I mean this team has like 20 VP's for various erroneus depts. he can see the failfure over the yeasrs in decdision making and inner crcles and stupid allegiances and buddy buddy systems.

I really think we find out after this season. Again, he's got a golden opportunity to clean house now, it's a once in a lifetime thing. As a fan he'd have to be a fool not to realize what the problems are with this team, which stem directly from the FO, and as an owner, a new one, he'd be remiss in not taking the opportunity to simply say that it's time to turn a page in the way the organization is run, tell everyone that it's nothing personal, and if he feels bad pay them all for an extra year or 6 months or whatever, and then put some people in there without ties to NYS or Pittsburgh that are capable of producing a winning team.

It really is that simple.
    I see you point sure but Pegula is a successful business man and he surely can see the dysfunction in the FO. I mean this team has like 20 VP's for various erroneous depts. he can see the failure over the years in decision making and inner circles and stupid allegiances and buddy buddy systems. Pegula is a renaissance man in Buf and will put the city back on the map but to say he may be like Ralph? No way. He wants to be successful in everything he does I’m sure. But we will see once the season is over. I’m more nervous that scuz ball Brandon is in his ear daily trying to save his sorry ass.

In terms of the Sabres, he's going about it the right way now. he tried to throw cash at it first but Darcy and Ruff still couldn't do it so he blew it up and is doing it the right way in my opinion. let's hope he learned his lesson this time around.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I see you point sure but Pegula is a successful business man and he surely can see the dysfunction in the FO. I mean this team has like 20 VP's for various erroneous depts. he can see the failure over the years in decision making and inner circles and stupid allegiances and buddy buddy systems. Pegula is a renaissance man in Buf and will put the city back on the map but to say he may be like Ralph? No way. He wants to be successful in everything he does I’m sure. But we will see once the season is over. I’m more nervous that scuz ball Brandon is in his ear daily trying to save his sorry ass.

In terms of the Sabres, he's going about it the right way now. he tried to throw cash at it first but Darcy and Ruff still couldn't do it so he blew it up and is doing it the right way in my opinion. let's hope he learned his lesson this time around.
    I wasn't passing judgement yet one way or the other, and I hope you're right. As you said, we'll see after the season, but if he doesn't clean house I won't view it as much different than under Wilson. And we will see after the season, within weeks of after the season, it won't take longer. The situation's going to make itself and all we'll be able to do is judge it.

As far as him being a renaissance man and putting Buffalo back on the map, it's going to take more than him to achieve that, but also, while that's all well and good, it's independent from making the Bills good which was my point. What's his first goal, to try to singlehandedly put Buffalo back on the map, something that's a longshot if you ask me as well as something that's going to take years if not a decade or more, or him turning the Bills once again into a contender as it was under Polian, something that should take anymore than 2-3 seasons to do with competent people in charge? We don't know the answer to that yet. Hopefully both, but I don't see a direct connection between the two. i.e., he could "put Buffalo back on the map" with the Bills still sucking every year, to the extent that it's possible for one man to put an entire city "back on the map" that is.

To fix the team he'll have to directly, not indirectly, address the root problems. It's blatant that those root problems are the FO including Whaley, Brandon, the scouting staff, and some leftover long-time friends of Ralph. What we really need, and no disrespect to Ralph intended, is to wash and rinse the organization clean from Ralph's influences. The only way that we're going to achieve that is by dismissing the entire personnel side of the FO, which again, based on Whaley's recent statements appear to be nothing but a bunch of yes-men.
    Last edited by Fletch; 11-19-2014 at 09:00 AM.

22. Post thanked by:

GreedoII (11-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    I remember Gailey, up 12-7 punting from the opponent's 34. How is that not playing not to lose? They lost that game 15-12.
    This Chan Gailey love has to stop. The Gailey lovers are like a guy who wants to get back with a bad ex-wife, forgetting why they split up.

http://www.footballperspective.com/w...-no-mans-land/

On Sunday, with 12 minutes remaining and a 12-7 lead, Chan Gailey’s Bills faced a 4th-and-7 from the St. Louis 34-yard-line. It’s worth noting — in part because it was notable to Gailey — that minutes earlier, Buffalo scored a touchdown but Shawn Powell botched the extra point, preventing Buffalo from going up 13-7. I suppose we could dwell on the fact that up 5 with 20 minutes left in the game after scoring a touchdown is an obvious scenario that calls for going for two, but let’s not do that in this post.

In Tampa Bay, Schiano attempted a 56-yard field goal. In Buffalo, with rain but wind at his back, the Bills sent on the field goal unit but then changed their mind and chose to punt, with the botched snap from minutes earlier apparently being a factor in the decision.
    Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 11-19-2014 at 09:12 AM.

24. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-19-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    I remember Gailey, up 12-7 punting from the opponent's 34. How is that not playing not to lose? They lost that game 15-12.
    This Chan Gailey love has to stop. The Gailey lovers are like a guy who wants to get back with a bad ex-wife, forgetting why they split up.
    LOL

Good analogy.

Sadly that's what a good chunk of the fanbase has been reduced to here. Nearly two decades of extreme futility and a solid track record of second-half collapses will do that to some.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Speaking of wagers, I had a bet with someone that Dareus would not be suspended this year.

I cant remember who, but you know who you are welcher.