Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: All that snow: What's it mean for Sunday?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: All that snow: What's it mean for Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    There is no amount of snow a pile of heavy equipment can't move...but heavy equipment doesn't go into that stadium without wrecking the field. It's a logistical nightmare to move the amount of snow that is in that stadium right now. If more falls in the next couple days my money is on the game having to be moved.
    I'm sure they can back trucks and loaders up to the field and use a bunch of those little dozers to push it all to the EZs.

I just think that moving that much snow in general is a bigger job than we all think.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I'm sure they can back trucks and loaders up to the field and use a bunch of those little dozers to push it all to the EZs.

I just think that moving that much snow in general is a bigger job than we all think.
    Cleaning off the field with nylon scrape plate front loadesr is a relatively easy task. Arenas and stadiums load up and clear out tons of dirt for monster truck anf dirt bike extravaganzas all over the place. Digging out stands and the nooks an crannies is another matter. The already-fallen snow has compressed under gravity.There is more to com. Then warming, and the possibility of rain to complicate things.

And they expect folks, with a strained transportation problem, to flock to the stadium and shovel heavy, wet snow, for a lousy 10 bucks an hour (and they better be prepared to surrender their SSN for taxation if the Bills are following the laws - the days of casual labor is over). And that's an anathema to the millions on the cushy benefit gravy train to actually show earned income. It upsets the free apple cart.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

no need.

its a cement base with a carpet over it--it can take the dispersed weight of heavy equipment, the bladed parts of the plows are the only things that could measurably damage the field. A piece of pvc piping cut in half, with the bottom, rounded edge chained to the bottom of a plow is sufficient to protect the turf. It is a simple fix that many outdoor field maintenance crews use these days.

The trouble comes in where to move the snow to... and how much of a priority the game is for the municipality this weekend.
    Do they prioritize clearing out the ralph and the surrounding parking lots? Or getting the roadways cleared out so people can resume their lives again?

The simple fact of the matter is, there are no written rules for natural disasters like this. I hate humanity in general, as a rule, but its times like these when people need to set aside their political affiliations, their prejudices, and their opinions, and just recognize that no one is perfect, and we're all in this together. Yes, things could always be done better, but in situations where no one has an answer, don't be the person to second guess the people who are making decisions--be the person to help without needing the direction from someone else telling you what to do!

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGold View Post
    no need.

its a cement base with a carpet over it--it can take the dispersed weight of heavy equipment, the bladed parts of the plows are the only things that could measurably damage the field. A piece of pvc piping cut in half, with the bottom, rounded edge chained to the bottom of a plow is sufficient to protect the turf. It is a simple fix that many outdoor field maintenance crews use these days.

The trouble comes in where to move the snow to... and how much of a priority the game is for the municipality this weekend.
    Do they prioritize clearing out the ralph and the surrounding parking lots? Or getting the roadways cleared out so people can resume their lives again?

The simple fact of the matter is, there are no written rules for natural disasters like this. I hate humanity in general, as a rule, but its times like these when people need to set aside their political affiliations, their prejudices, and their opinions, and just recognize that no one is perfect, and we're all in this together. Yes, things could always be done better, but in situations where no one has an answer, don't be the person to second guess the people who are making decisions--be the person to help without needing the direction from someone else telling you what to do!
    Well said.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    .Digging out stands and the nooks an crannies is another matter. The already-fallen snow has compressed under gravity.There is more to com. Then warming, and the possibility of rain to complicate things.

And they expect folks, with a strained transportation problem, to flock to the stadium and shovel heavy, wet snow, for a lousy 10 bucks an hour (and they better be prepared to surrender their SSN for taxation if the Bills are following the laws - the days of casual labor is over). And that's an anathema to the millions on the cushy benefit gravy train to actually show earned income. It upsets the free apple cart.
    Exactly.

I've heard that they pay cash. At worst they 1099 it but I doubt that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGold View Post
    Again, agreed.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What about UB? Less than half the capacity, but nothing in the region's going to have the capacity of Rich.
    I assumed UB was buried under the same blizzard, as they just postponed the game scheduled for tonight. That would work as well, if the field has been winterized.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Exactly.

I've heard that they pay cash. At worst they 1099 it but I doubt that.
    I'm of an age before overarching government was the norm, so I agree in principle that casual labor should be just that, but the Bills should be wary - all it takes is one wiseguy p*ick make trouble for them. Times have changed. When I was a lad, the hoe boys (as in hoeing fields, commonly called hobos) used to come around and do this or that work for a meal and and some change. Back then, a 50 cent piece would tide you over for several days. Occasionally, my grandmother would let them bunk over in the garage with another meal given.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 11-19-2014 at 09:44 PM.

10. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 7,705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Please...this storm could have just as well tracked further north. Perhaps you are not old enough to remember the political snot that dripped from a downtown stadium choice way back when.
    Uhhhh...no....it rarely does. Do you know anything about lake effect snow??
    Last edited by notacon; 11-19-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 7,705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Please...this storm could have just as well tracked further north. Perhaps you are not old enough to remember the political snot that dripped from a downtown stadium choice way back when.
    Oh...I have no idea what you are talking about...."political snot that dripped from a downtown stadium choice way back when"

If you are talking about 1973 when the present stadium was built...I remember it well. It was a Lancaster Dome that was approved,and then at the last minute the Erie Country legislature decided to renege on that contract and decided to go cheap and build a hole in the ground in Orchard Park....literally. The bowl for the field was dug into the ground to save money.

Cottrell sued, and won. Erie Country payed twice for that crappy stadium in the snowbelt.

Is that what you are talking about?

13. Post thanked by:

better days (11-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,663 Times in 8,459 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    I assumed UB was buried under the same blizzard, as they just postponed the game scheduled for tonight. That would work as well, if the field has been winterized.
    UB stadium is not anywhere near as bad. I am guessing they have about 6 inches.

The problem was Kent St could not get their equipment here
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

15. Post thanked by:

Dude (11-20-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post

At a high risk of being ripped apart, it is does not happen as often, but to say rarely is not accurate either.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Originally Posted by notacon

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    At a high risk of being ripped apart, it is does not happen as often, but to say rarely is not accurate either.
    Lake Effect Snow all depends upon the winds. The temps and moisture levels make the snow, the wind blows it where it goes. Sometimes LE snow extends well into the finger lakes or the southern tier. A handful of factors in play.

Although, I don't think that LE snow would put 4' anywhere too distant.

It appears that the winds were blowing right up along the shoreline of Lake Erie pushing all the snow into essentially one location on this one, SW Buffalo.
    Last edited by Fletch; 11-20-2014 at 05:40 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have never heard how long it takes to clear the stadium, but here it claims that it typically take three days to clear out one foot of snow from the stadium. Seems long but I'm sure that they got their info from someone involved with OBD.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ive-snowstorm/

I don't think they're playing the game this weekend nor on Monday or Tuesday even. I wonder if they'd just cancel it altogether given that neither team will end up making the playoffs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They won't cancel it.

1. Too much money involved
    2. The Bills are not eliminated from the playoffs, in theory
    3. No game could impact tiebreakers for other teams
    4. Too much money involved.
    5. Things like player bonus money will be skewed.
    6. Too much money involved.

20. Post thanked by:

better days (11-20-2014),Dude (11-20-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    They won't cancel it.

1. Too much money involved
    2. The Bills are not eliminated from the playoffs, in theory
    3. No game could impact tiebreakers for other teams
    4. Too much money involved.
    5. Things like player bonus money will be skewed.
    6. Too much money involved.
    You think they're capable of clearing the place out by Monday or Tuesday?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pushed back to Sunday night or Monday.

It sure is hell not going to be completely cancealed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You think they're capable of clearing the place out by Monday or Tuesday?

I don't know.

But I do know they won't cancel it. They'll move it before they cancel it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Supposed to be 50 degrees Sunday and Monday.
    It will melt enough on it's own.