Thread: What do you see? Who do we need?

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What do you see? Who do we need?

Who's watching some college football? I'm not watching as much as I'd like. I've watched some QB play a bit. I see that as a potential need.

Outside of that I'm looking at these positions as needs (not in any particular order):

1. #2 CB
    2. Receiving TE
    3. Stud G- not another developmental prospect
    4. RB

On the QB front:

Without a 1st rounder and in a weaker class overall I'd look to a 2nd or later prospect in hopes that he can overachieve or ditch the hitch that's keeping him from being an elite prospect.

Enter Bryce Petty, Baylor... I like the way the kid plays. Outside of a bad WVA game he plays solid week to week. I like the spiral he can throw when getting it down field. I like his accuracy overall. I'm seeing 3rd round or possibly later grades. That would put him in Bills territory if we want him.

Who are you watching? What do you think we need?

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: What do you see? Who do we need?

I'm not real big on offensive skill players, especially RB's with the modern game, but if TJ Yeldon comes out early and is on the board when we pick I'm running to the podium.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,467 Times in 9,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Way too early for me, I'm a January crammer.

Like Yardrat I'd avoid skill players. I think we just missed a really good receiving TE class, would never touch an RB. Since we start at a second, I'm looking at guards but not sure Richardson isn't the stuff next year, if they put Urbik back where he belongs (best TE ?). I'm wondering about safety, cb later rounds ? Too early on QB's ?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I doubt we go corner this year. Like you said we need some OL depth As we are going to lose several of our backups this offseason. Additionally Te and rb are big needs.

all that being said we need a qb first and foremost

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Too bad we're not allowed to draft coaches too.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

we are going to finish 8-8 our best record since 2004 and we want to fire our coach. I do not get it, I guess I never will. You guys act like he took a super bowl winning team and made them losers. I get 15 years of frustration but that is not Doug and Dougs fault. Whaley has drafted and acquired some very talented players, and Marrone has finally got us a none losing record and deserves another year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    we are going to finish 8-8 our best record since 2004 and we want to fire our coach. I do not get it, I guess I never will. You guys act like he took a super bowl winning team and made them losers. I get 15 years of frustration but that is not Doug and Dougs fault. Whaley has drafted and acquired some very talented players, and Marrone has finally got us a none losing record and deserves another year.
    I was thinking more along the lines of offensive line coach.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Who's watching some college football? I'm not watching as much as I'd like. I've watched some QB play a bit. I see that as a potential need.

Outside of that I'm looking at these positions as needs (not in any particular order):

1. #2 CB
    2. Receiving TE
    3. Stud G- not another developmental prospect
    4. RB

On the QB front:

Without a 1st rounder and in a weaker class overall I'd look to a 2nd or later prospect in hopes that he can overachieve or ditch the hitch that's keeping him from being an elite prospect.

Enter Bryce Petty, Baylor... I like the way the kid plays. Outside of a bad WVA game he plays solid week to week. I like the spiral he can throw when getting it down field. I like his accuracy overall. I'm seeing 3rd round or possibly later grades. That would put him in Bills territory if we want him.

Who are you watching? What do you think we need?
    So soon we forget Leodis McKelvin. Is he great? No but think he's a solid #2 CB.

My offseason wish list is

1. Re-sign Jerry Hughes. I know we might find a guy to replace him but I don't want to chance it.
    2. Improve the TE position, Lee Smith is an UFA. I say replace him with either Jordan Cameron or Julius Thomas (both replace Chandler as starter) or if go cheaper I say sign Jermaine Gresham as think he's a blocking TE but a better receiver than Lee Smith.
    3. Re-sign Da'Norris Searcy, he was under appreciated this year of course Duke Williams wasn't bad as long as Aaron Williams was on the field with him so we might be able to let Searcy go.
    4. Improve OG, drafting a guy in Round 2 or 3 might be sufficient way to do so.
    5. Draft a RB to replace Freddie in 2016. Round 3 could bring us someone.
    6. Re-sign Brandon Spikes, I don't want to break the bank on him and want him back but isn't a top priority with the emergence of Preston Brown.
    7. Add a DE/DT to develop behind Mario/Kyle Williams.
    8. Gamble on a QB in the middle rounds. Chuckie Keeton is a guy I like.
    9. Draft a OLB/DE tweener that can put some pressure on and maybe replace Manny Lawson.
    10. Add a WR for ST whether it be to replace Marcus Easley (who's an UFA) or can compete with Marcs Thigpen as our primary return man.