Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trading Up for Watkins Was Folly -- Jerry Sullivan

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Trading Up for Watkins Was Folly -- Jerry Sullivan

• Trading next year’s No. 1 draft pick for Sammy Watkins was a reckless move by Bills general manager Doug Whaley, a desperate attempt to prop up a shaky franchise quarterback and win games in a hurry to impress the next owner.

It was a bad idea on a number of levels. Whaley said the pick would be low in the first round, essentially guaranteeing his team would make the playoffs. Now the Bills are fading fast. If they don’t snap out of it, the first-round pick that Whaley gave the Browns might be in the top 10.

Do you know what makes Whaley’s Folly even worse? The NFL’s current crop of first-year wideouts is one of the best in history. This rookie class continues to validate the judgment of scouts who said last year’s draft would produce a bounty of gifted receivers.

In a draft filled with top wideouts, the Bills felt Watkins was a cut above the rest, a generational talent they simply had to have. So what if a bunch of other guys had rare ability and upside? They traded up for Watkins at No. 4 overall, forfeiting a chance to take a quarterback high in 2015.

This isn’t about Watkins’ talent. He’s a special player. For the most part, he has justified expectations. He might prove to be the best receiver in the 2014 draft. The issue is whether Watkins was so clearly superior to the rest of a great receiving class that it warranted the cost. When you see how the other rookies are doing, you have to wonder.

More...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/tr...folly-20141117

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Trading Up for Watkins Was Folly -- Jerry Sullivan

Worst part is there is a good 3-5 rookies who have done as much or more than Sammy without the attitude. With QBs like Derek Anderson, Henne/Bortles

3. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-18-2014),jills (11-19-2014),Mace (11-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,863 Times in 3,510 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah it sucks being a Bills fan. I don't get to have much fun in the office since I NEVER have ground to stand on in any conversation. GO BILLS!

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i love sammy and hes the best wr of that class but im starting to think he was a mistake. if one of the two current qbs ends up starting long term then its fine but if we are back in qb purgatory then not having that pick is going to be monumentally expensive in terms of years wasted and/or what they will have to give up to get somebody good behind center
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

6. Post thanked by:

jills (11-19-2014),WagonCircler (11-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,432 Times in 7,296 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    Worst part is there is a good 3-5 rookies who have done as much or more than Sammy without the attitude. With QBs like Derek Anderson, Henne/Bortles

Sammy has a bad attitude?

8. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (11-18-2014),Fletch (11-18-2014),Generalissimus Gibby (11-19-2014),Homegrown (11-19-2014),imbondz (11-18-2014),trapezeus (11-18-2014),X-Era (11-18-2014),Yasgur's Farm (11-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ralph is cheap

10. Post thanked by:

Fixxxer (11-18-2014),Generalissimus Gibby (11-19-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There are no QBs in this draft either. We do not have a shot at MAriotta or Winston, and to be honest I am not sure either of them is better than what we have. In other words I don't think they will be any good either.

12. Post thanked by:

feldspar (11-19-2014),Thurmal (11-18-2014)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    • Trading next year’s No. 1 draft pick for Sammy Watkins was a reckless move by Bills general manager Doug Whaley, a desperate attempt to prop up a shaky franchise quarterback and win games in a hurry to impress the next owner.

It was a bad idea on a number of levels. Whaley said the pick would be low in the first round, essentially guaranteeing his team would make the playoffs. Now the Bills are fading fast. If they don’t snap out of it, the first-round pick that Whaley gave the Browns might be in the top 10.

Do you know what makes Whaley’s Folly even worse? The NFL’s current crop of first-year wideouts is one of the best in history. This rookie class continues to validate the judgment of scouts who said last year’s draft would produce a bounty of gifted receivers.

In a draft filled with top wideouts, the Bills felt Watkins was a cut above the rest, a generational talent they simply had to have. So what if a bunch of other guys had rare ability and upside? They traded up for Watkins at No. 4 overall, forfeiting a chance to take a quarterback high in 2015.

This isn’t about Watkins’ talent. He’s a special player. For the most part, he has justified expectations. He might prove to be the best receiver in the 2014 draft. The issue is whether Watkins was so clearly superior to the rest of a great receiving class that it warranted the cost. When you see how the other rookies are doing, you have to wonder.

More...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/tr...folly-20141117
    Paying attention to a single word Jerry Sullivan spews is folly

14. Post thanked by:

pmoon6 (11-18-2014)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    i love sammy and hes the best wr of that class but im starting to think he was a mistake. if one of the two current qbs ends up starting long term then its fine but if we are back in qb purgatory then not having that pick is going to be monumentally expensive in terms of years wasted and/or what they will have to give up to get somebody good behind center
    That decision isn't made now it was made when EJ had a total of 8 starts under his belt.

I have no issue with the Watkins move.

16. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (11-19-2014),Yasgur's Farm (11-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

everyone knew that the trade was a bad choice. but watkins isn't an attitude problem like someone alluded to and the point is that in 3 years he will look dramatically different.

it is on the FO thinking that a WR would aid manuel.

Whaley tried to take credit for Manuel when they picked him, he now says the plan was to sit him all along, and now he says buddy was the guy responsible for Manuel.

the front office is broken. Last year probably would have been best to move back if anything and find a way to get more DB's and a TE, but they went up for a WR.

based on how poorly the bills have drafted, watkins is the least of their worries. the lost pick adn the fact they may have the same baffoons picking again is the issue.

18. Post thanked by:

Bills Juggernaut (11-19-2014),starrymessenger (11-20-2014),WagonCircler (11-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sammy has thrown EJ under the bus a bunch and has the same body language the Woods or TO have. Hes not this nice perfect guy everyone acts like. I dont hate him but hes going down as a whitner so far

Thanks
    Thanked 30,591 Times in 17,465 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sully's happy again, the team is on a losing streak and the rest of the season looks bleak. When there is something to imply any hint of optimism going on, he kind of stays below the radar, but he loves when the **** hits the fan and he can pounce. I think he posts here, the fingerprints are remarkably similar.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

21. Post thanked by:

Buckets (11-19-2014),coastal (11-19-2014),Dr. Who (11-19-2014),Mr B (11-19-2014),pmoon6 (11-18-2014),X-Era (11-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Everyone keeps talking about the other WRs, but what if they took Ebron?

Bottom line, the front office can't build a winner. You don't have to sit here and scrutinize every move, proof is there for everyone to see. They haven't made the right moves for over a decade.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

When he's healthy and the QB isn't playing terribly, he is a HUGE asset. What's done is done. Whaley made the trade and also built some great depth on defense. I would hope his job is safe. When looking at the state of this team, the obvious problems lie in the offensive line (sketchy as hell) and the play-calling (an abomination).
    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

24. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (11-19-2014),YardRat (11-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,470 Times in 14,178 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    Sammy has thrown EJ under the bus a bunch and has the same body language the Woods or TO have. Hes not this nice perfect guy everyone acts like. I dont hate him but hes going down as a whitner so far
    What are you talking about?
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

26. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (11-19-2014)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,495 Times in 9,190 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    Sammy has a bad attitude?
    I guess I'll jump in and be unpopular here. I wouldn't say he has an attiutude, but he's been less than enthusiastic on some routes, with some QB's and has said so. Yes I know he's battled nagging injuries, but you still see him do it. But he's hurt ! Might mean he's frail.

I agree with Sullivan though, to my aggravation. You don't frost a freaking cake before you make one.

Here we go again but so. Two words, "Julio Jones" and they had a QB.

Real bad time to blow a number 1 in 2015 for less than dominating player, imho.
    Last edited by Mace; 11-18-2014 at 07:01 PM.

28. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-18-2014),jills (11-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The thing I hate the most about it is just if you are going to go for it then ****ing go for it. I was hoping that the trade symbolized a must win attitude going forward that would translate to performance on the field. I didn't like the move but I loved the attitude. Whatever, go big. Be ambitious. But once you commit to that path you need to follow through and that just isn't the case.

About 50 punts inside the other teams side of the field later I'm pretty sure that this was all just smoke being blown up our asses.

30. Post thanked by:

Mace (11-19-2014)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Sully's happy again, the team is on a losing streak and the rest of the season looks bleak. When there is something to imply any hint of optimism going on, he kind of stays below the radar, but he loves when the **** hits the fan and he can pounce. I think he posts here, the fingerprints are remarkably similar.
    Sullivan is a self aggrandizing moron who actually thinks he knows something.

Kinda like all the self aggrandizing morons on this board, but with a byline.

32. Post thanked by:

Buckets (11-19-2014),YardRat (11-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    Sullivan is a self aggrandizing moron who actually thinks he knows something.

Kinda like all the self aggrandizing morons on this board, but with a byline.
    But the truth is the truth, even if it comes from a moron.

And he's not the only one saying this.

I love Sammy's talent, but he's not twice the player that the other receivers taken in the first two rounds are, and he would need to be in order to justify paying double for him.

And when you add in the double whammy that A) There's no QB to take advantage of Watkins' value, and B) Spending so much on him dramatically decreases the possibility that he will have a real QB in the near future.

It was a big splashy expenditure made with one of those credit cards with a 35% interest rate. The shiny new toy looks great, but then the bill comes due. And next year, on draft day, and next season, that cost is going to be painful.

Sammy is a great talent, but he was a sucker's bet, and the guy who made that bet needs to go away.

34. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-19-2014),Mace (11-19-2014),starrymessenger (11-20-2014),swiper (11-19-2014),TacklingDummy (11-18-2014)

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,925 Times in 4,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Watkins might not even be the best rookie WR that came from Clemson this year.

I'd rather have a different WR from this years draft and our 1st/4th rounders in next years draft.

36. Post thanked by:

jills (11-19-2014),WagonCircler (11-19-2014)