Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: QB switch next year?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

QB switch next year?

Realistically, If the FO remains intake, do you guys see them sticking with Orton? do you draft a guy in the 2nd and try to groom him under Orton? I have to think they may have cold feet about that after the Kolb, EJ failure. Or is it possible we pick up and guy like RGIII and cross our fingers?
    "If you ain't first... You're last"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: QB switch next year?

Depends upon how good or bad Orton performs in the next 6 weeks.

RG3? Step off the ledge bro!

3. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (11-24-2014),Mace (11-23-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think that at this point we're screwed, especially if they leave the FO intact. Besides, Orton may be finished in Buffalo. I mean how can they leave a QB in there that can't get the ball across the goal line?

Sounds like after that Watkins trade we just bide our time hoping for a good QB candidate in round 1 of the 2016 Draft.

Nothing available in free agency.

Gotta love that Watkins trade. Not that Mariota would have been available with our 1st, but a trade up to get him may have been worth it. I'm not sure about Jameis, he sounds like a great candidate to ruin his pro career by off-field stupidity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    RG3? Step off the ledge bro!
    The whole read-option thing ran its course in the NFL already.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

5. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (11-23-2014),Lone Stranger (11-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Gotta love that Watkins trade. Not that Mariota would have been available with our 1st, but a trade up to get him may have been worth it.
    The Browns are going to get the 16th pick at best.

Pickle in the middle. At 8-8, the Bills would be drafting in the middle of the first round if they didn't trade away their first round draft pick for Sammy Watkins.

That's why the trade makes sense to me. I'd rather have Sammy Watkins now over a middle of the 2015 first round draft pick.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dying_-2-_Live View Post
    Realistically, If the FO remains intake, do you guys see them sticking with Orton? do you draft a guy in the 2nd and try to groom him under Orton? I have to think they may have cold feet about that after the Kolb, EJ failure. Or is it possible we pick up and guy like RGIII and cross our fingers?
    It would depend on who would be available when the Bills pick in the 2nd round. One of the main reasons this team has been bad for so long is an extremely short sighted draft philosophy. They've created holes & then filled them in drafts where they're always a year too early or a year too late in drafting for that need. It's happened over & over again, like when they had to draft a QB & after failing to trade up for Roethlisberger they traded up for Losman, while if they just had waited another year (especially since there was no dire need to find a replacement for Bledsoe after 3 QBs had already come off the board) Aaron Rodgers would have fallen into their laps. Other gems: create a hole at RB by trading McGahee, then pass on Revis to draft Lynch, and the next year draft Leodis to fill that year's CB need, while they could have drafted Chris Johnson the following year instead of McKelvin if they had drafted Revis. Then they decide to replace Lynch with Spiller well into Lynch's prime & waste another 1st rounder while totally devaluing Lynch's trade value. Just think if they had just kept Fitzpatrick one more year & instead of acting like a 3 year old who had to have a 1st round QB in the worst QB draft in 6 years, they had waited until this year & could have had their pick between Bridgewater & Carr. Oh, and trading 2 1sts for Watkins & leaving themselves with no 1st rounder this year really was different than past never look beyond the current season drafts-by a guy who was more concerned about his job than any long term ramifications.

This is why I want an entire housecleaning at One Bills Drive-get someone in who can think beyond 1 season & we might actually become a contender. Anyone, no matter what business they're in is going to fail if they don't look beyond one year. The Bills consistent plans are like making a 1 year discounted cash flow analysis.
    Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 11-23-2014 at 01:45 PM.

8. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-23-2014),Lone Stranger (11-24-2014),Oaf (11-23-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dying_-2-_Live View Post
    Why not? Coaches, QBs, change like the weather for BUF.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think that at this point we're screwed, especially if they leave the FO intact. Besides, Orton may be finished in Buffalo. I mean how can they leave a QB in there that can't get the ball across the goal line?

Sounds like after that Watkins trade we just bide our time hoping for a good QB candidate in round 1 of the 2016 Draft.

Nothing available in free agency.

Gotta love that Watkins trade. Not that Mariota would have been available with our 1st, but a trade up to get him may have been worth it. I'm not sure about Jameis, he sounds like a great candidate to ruin his pro career by off-field stupidity.

- - - Updated - - -

The whole read-option thing ran its course in the NFL already.
    If the Bills think Mariota is a sure thing franchise QB like Luck was coming into the NFL, I say if Oakland or Jacksonville has the top pick throw the kitchen sink at them & make a deal, because a franchise QB is good for 10 or more years of contention. I'd let them have their pick of Darius or Mario Williams, our 2nd rounder & the next 2 year 1st rounders. That's how much I'd be willing to spend because you can fill just about every position except (franchise) QB in free agency if you don't have 1st rounders for a few years.

11. Post thanked by:

swiper (11-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    The Browns are going to get the 16th pick at best.
    Well, we're just going to have to differ on that trade. I'd have taken Benjamin or Beckum and kept our picks in a heartbeat.

Right now however it's a 14th pick and given our schedule I have no idea how you can even say that. I think that the odds of it being a 16th or worse are remote. I'd guess that we're 7-9 this year, and if that's the case, we're looking at 12th or 13th.

Either way, it's water under the dam. No sense in complaining now unless they don't get rid of the people that made that trade.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    If the Bills think Mariota is a sure thing franchise QB like Luck was coming into the NFL, I say if Oakland or Jacksonville has the top pick throw the kitchen sink at them & make a deal, because a franchise QB is good for 10 or more years of contention. I'd let them have their pick of Darius or Mario Williams, our 2nd rounder & the next 2 year 1st rounders. That's how much I'd be willing to spend because you can fill just about every position except (franchise) QB in free agency if you don't have 1st rounders for a few years.
    Mariota may be the very first player off the boards. Do you realize what we'd have to trade to get that pick, essentially 1, maybe 2, overall?

You're looking at our '16 & '17 1st's, then probably our 2nd this season too and another pick or two in there. That'd be nuts.

Like you just said, we're up a creek without a paddle this year, but let's not make it being out in the middle of the Pacific without a boat.

Fire Whaley, Marrone, and the personnel staff. Put some people in that know what they're doing, get what we can from Orton, and let's start rebuilding next year with what we have and reevaluate.

To me the big thing is whether or not Pegula is going to clean house as he should. Rumors and speculation run both ways. If he doesn't, on top of having squandered an outstanding opportunity to do so, it could very well mean 20 more years of this same ****.

14. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (11-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Brett Hundley would be intriguing if he lasts til round 2.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Brett Hundley would be intriguing if he lasts til round 2.
    I get why so many people get enamored with running QBs but the truth is the NFL remains a passing league first and foremost. Sure runners like Randall Cunningham, Mike Vick have made waves but at the end of the day a half way decent passing QB can take you further. If the Bills do look at QB in the draft a guy Garrett Grayson is a guy to look at.

17. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (11-23-2014)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    If the Bills think Mariota is a sure thing franchise QB like Luck was coming into the NFL, I say if Oakland or Jacksonville has the top pick throw the kitchen sink at them & make a deal, because a franchise QB is good for 10 or more years of contention.
    He is with a team around him. We don't have a kitchen sink to throw unless we trash more years of drafts and cripple potential future coaching staffs, or trade Alonso, Watkins or Dareus. I'd emphatically say "NO" because again, you are crippling your potential future organization on one maybe, and RG3 is a really good example of how a sure thing can quickly become a maybe, and Julio Jones is a good example of how you don't frost a cake that isn't baked yet, or, as Wagoncircler might say "putting custom rims on a jalopy".

Orton is "only" 31, that's a good bridge QB age......IF he turns it on last 6 games and wants to stay. No clue either how they think Manuel is doing on the pines.

If they ride the bus, no telling the FO will even stay the same. Need a few more games for a clearer picture methinks.

19. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (11-24-2014),WagonCircler (11-23-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    I get why so many people get enamored with running QBs but the truth is the NFL remains a passing league first and foremost. Sure runners like Randall Cunningham, Mike Vick have made waves but at the end of the day a half way decent passing QB can take you further. If the Bills do look at QB in the draft a guy Garrett Grayson is a guy to look at.
    Agree on the running QBs. Not sure about Grayson though. Look at his gamelogs. His biggest games are against **** teams, and not that he plays in a tough conference to begin with. He's the kind of player that we would draft and I'd be all over and everyone would argue with me.

Maybe in round 3 or 4 if he's there.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    He is with a team around him. We don't have a kitchen sink to throw unless we trash more years of drafts and cripple potential future coaching staffs, or trade Alonso, Watkins or Dareus. I'd emphatically say "NO" because again, you are crippling your potential future organization on one maybe, and RG3 is a really good example of how a sure thing can quickly become a maybe, and Julio Jones is a good example of how you don't frost a cake that isn't baked yet, or, as Wagoncircler might say "putting custom rims on a jalopy".

Orton is "only" 31, that's a good bridge QB age......IF he turns it on last 6 games and wants to stay. No clue either how they think Manuel is doing on the pines.

If they ride the bus, no telling the FO will even stay the same. Need a few more games for a clearer picture methinks.
    Agree

Hopefully we'll have a whole new FO though.

If I were in charge I'd look at the draft and continue to try to improve our D with some LBs or secondary.

Watkins will be 2nd year next year, Woods 3rd, Hogan will have developed into something, and hopefully we'd be fine with Orton for a year. The problem is at RB, maybe a good 3-down RB in the 2nd.

22. Post thanked by:

Mace (11-23-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Hundley has a strong arm with good accuracy. He lacks a bit in reading the entire field and tends to take off when his first read is covered but that's something that can be taught and learned. I don't care about him running around defenses in college as that never works in the pros where linebackers are just as fast, but him being able to move in the pocket and extend plays is something that can't be discounted.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

With a possible coaching change and full off-season coming, why predict anything right now ?

25. Post thanked by:

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Mariota may be the very first player off the boards. Do you realize what we'd have to trade to get that pick, essentially 1, maybe 2, overall?

You're looking at our '16 & '17 1st's, then probably our 2nd this season too and another pick or two in there. That'd be nuts.
    It would never happen. Moving up from the 40s to #1 or #2 overall would be one of the largest trades in NFL history.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

27. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    With a possible coaching change and full off-season coming, why predict anything right now ?
    Even with any coaching changes, this team needs a franchise QB if they want to become relevant again.

Year after year this discussion will continue until a franchise QB is found.

29. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (12-14-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Why not? Coaches, QBs, change like the weather for BUF.
    No point in keeping a MEDIOCRE HC into perpetuity like Cinci has right?

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Hundley has a strong arm with good accuracy. He lacks a bit in reading the entire field and tends to take off when his first read is covered but that's something that can be taught and learned. I don't care about him running around defenses in college as that never works in the pros where linebackers are just as fast, but him being able to move in the pocket and extend plays is something that can't be discounted.
    Same problem we always have though, who will teach him ?