Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This was the Jets

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This was the Jets

Look, we needed this game given the snow. The D played lights out ball, at least the front 7 since neither Vick nor Smith was ever much of a threat downfield. Offensively we were due and lit things up. It was fantastic to see Ford Field heavy with Bills fans that could make the trip.

But this was the Jets, it's hardly a benchmark game. The real test is the rest of the season.

Right now there's so much overreaction to a win over a pathetic team that's probably going to be drafting 3rd only because they don't play Jax and are clearly one of the worst teams in the league that will likely see a new owner and head coach after the season.

We have four very difficult games left against teams the likes of which we've been unable to beat this season so far, right now all four of which are slated to make the playoffs.

Let's save the "our defense is great" comments for those games and if our defense is really great then it will prove out that way. I'm sorry, I just can't buy into this notion that our D is great simply because we stomped on one of the most offensively challenged teams in the league.

Have we sunk so low as fans that we need to embellish a win over a team like the Jets, amidst our inability to beat any teams with above average offenses otherwise?

What happened to the days of us not being satisfied unless we could beat the best teams out there, defensively handle the best offenses out there, and dominate the best defenses out there? We suck this season at doing that and unless we do it coming up against those kinds of teams, I'm simply not impressed.

This overreaction is half sickening.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

2. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (11-26-2014),Lone Stranger (11-25-2014),notacon (11-25-2014),The last buffalo fan (11-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: This was the Jets

this post is entirely sickening.

4. Post thanked by:

better days (11-25-2014),Novacane (11-25-2014),pmoon6 (11-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I can't believe how low our standards and expectations as fans have sunken in 20 years.

We can't do **** against any above average offenses. Offensively this is one of the worst teams in years. Oh sure, we can hang 40 points on the Jets but trying to crack that 20-point barrier in any other game is the challenge of the ages.

6. Post thanked by:

notacon (11-25-2014)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I can't believe how low our standards and expectations as fans have sunken in 20 years.

We can't do **** against any above average offenses. Offensively this is one of the worst teams in years. Oh sure, we can hang 40 points on the Jets but trying to crack that 20-point barrier in any other game is the challenge of the ages.
    There's a middle ground though, right? You don't have to be on one end of the spectrum or the other. It's doesn't have to be all doom and gloom, and it doesn't have to be all rainbows and ice cream. People can be satisfied with a solid win, and they can be critical when we underperform. This team has been sub-par for the last 15 years, what's wrong with being happy and excited when our team just played the most dominant game in recent memory?

8. Post thanked by:

better days (11-25-2014),Dr. Lecter (11-26-2014),Dr. Who (11-25-2014),Historian (11-26-2014),Lone Stranger (11-25-2014),OpIv37 (11-25-2014),streetkings01 (11-28-2014),trapezeus (11-25-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The D is good. The lost opportunities against Houston and KC were the lack of an O.

I know why our record isn't better. It's the playcalling and execution (lack of) of the O.

The D has been excellent most of the time.

10. Post thanked by:

better days (11-25-2014),Dr. Who (11-25-2014),DynaPaul (11-26-2014),OpIv37 (11-25-2014),pmoon6 (11-26-2014),swiper (11-27-2014),YardRat (11-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,296 Times in 13,726 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We played a bad team.

We beat them soundly, which is what is supposed to happen against bad teams. What more do you want?

Yes, eventually we need to be able to beat the good teams but a) we can only play the team on the schedule in any given week and b) we are not going to beat the good teams until we can consistently trounce the bad teams.

12. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (11-25-2014),better days (11-25-2014),Cntrygal (11-25-2014),Dr. Lecter (11-26-2014),Lone Stranger (11-25-2014),Lucidvizion (11-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Put your *****ish ways aside for a day and enjoy a great win.

14. Post thanked by:

HAMMER (11-25-2014),trapezeus (11-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,391 Times in 7,274 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This is why no one likes you Fletch! You make things up to fit your narrative! Who is over reacting? You take people being happy about the win and turn it into we all think the Bills are going to the Super Bowl.

16. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (11-25-2014),HAMMER (11-25-2014),pmoon6 (11-26-2014),streetkings01 (11-28-2014),trapezeus (11-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As of last Tuesday... Fletchies favourite website.. Football Outsiders had the Bills defense rated 5th in the NFL.. And after last nights performance the metric numbers FO uses will improve the Bills defensive stats

18. Post thanked by:

better days (11-25-2014)

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,899 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

92 yards rushing allowed on the 5th ranked run offense in the league.. just saying
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

20. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (11-25-2014)

My IQ Test results came back negative BillsOwnAll's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Who's overreacting??? Do you love trolling for comments? There was maybe 2 threads started after the game the whole night. Sorry you hate when the bills win.

22. Post thanked by:

Novacane (11-25-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    There's a middle ground though, right? You don't have to be on one end of the spectrum or the other. It's doesn't have to be all doom and gloom, and it doesn't have to be all rainbows and ice cream. People can be satisfied with a solid win, and they can be critical when we underperform. This team has been sub-par for the last 15 years, what's wrong with being happy and excited when our team just played the most dominant game in recent memory?
    That's a good question Joe, about the middle ground!

I guess that depends upon your expectations Joe. For 20 years now I've been desiring a team that is actually capable of competing with the best like our '90s Bills were. To date since then we've not had anything even close to that.

What we have had is opinionated fluff that often pumps this team up to levels that it does not deserve

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    what's wrong with being happy and excited when our team just played the most dominant game in recent memory?
    There's nothing wrong with it. I was happy and excited last night.

But then using that game, the most dominant game in recent memory, really since just about a month ago when we pummeled the exact same team in similar fashion, to then develop a baseline or something akin to that, much less ranting about how our D is great when we were manhandled by Miami a couple of weeks ago, were absolutely decimated by the Pats, and haven't had, by sheer chance, had to play any of the top-15 offenses in the league to date, makes no sense whatsoever.

This was one of two very winnable games left on our schedule and one that had we lost would have been an embarassment, even under the circumstances in Detroit, more so had it been at home. But at the same time, clearly there was an emotional edge to help overcome the week in Buffalo due to all the pent up energy that I think ultimately worked in our favor, presumably you would agree.

So again, using that game as anything other than what it was, a huge win over a terribly poor team that's amongst the worst few in the league would be remiss. Especially since I've pointed out that against the Jets, a now 2-9 team that's beaten the Raiders as one of their two wins, we've averaged 40.5 ppg, whereas elsewhere we've averaged 17.4 ppg.

All this nonsense about our D being great hasn't been proven. Why, because we just held the hapless Jets to 3 points? When we were once again embarrassed by the Pats, worse than we were last season? I'm not seeing it. When we play the Pats and teams like them better I might start to get somewhat excited. We're going to find out what happens then and I'll bet you anything that this forum turns on this D and team during that stretch for that very reason.

I don't think that this D is anywhere near as good as we are hearing here. We'll find out though, very soon. If our D is really that great then we should have no trouble at all holding the Packers, Pats, and Broncos to less than their season averages. If that does not happen I think that it's high time for some realizations to start kicking in here. Wouldn't you agree? Or getting back to that perspective thing, would you be satisfied to just have our D be "great" against below average offenses while being below average against above average offenses? Because that won't cut it for me.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsOwnAll View Post
    Sorry you hate when the bills win.
    Not at all. I thoroughly enjoyed the game last night. I did go to bed when we hit 31 since after that it was like watching the fight scene in Cool Hand Luke.

But I'm sorry if I don't share the notion here that our D is great or tops simply because we beat the Jets and had a great defensive night amidst almost unanimous agreement here that the Jets, who on top of not playing for anything, showed up completely unprepared.

I think the bigger question becomes why people such as yourself put so much credence into such a game when we still can't beat any teams slated to make the playoffs and when we haven't beaten a single above average offensive team so far this season. Granted, we've only played one, but shouldn't that be a clue as to why our offense might be in danger of being overrated?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,695 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    this post is entirely sickening.

And 100% correct.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We swept a division rival too. Pretty fun game to watch. God forbid we enjoy anything.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

27. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (11-25-2014),HAMMER (11-25-2014),YardRat (11-25-2014)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That's a good question Joe, about the middle ground!

I guess that depends upon your expectations Joe. For 20 years now I've been desiring a team that is actually capable of competing with the best like our '90s Bills were. To date since then we've not had anything even close to that.

What we have had is opinionated fluff that often pumps this team up to levels that it does not deserve

There's nothing wrong with it. I was happy and excited last night.

But then using that game, the most dominant game in recent memory, really since just about a month ago when we pummeled the exact same team in similar fashion, to then develop a baseline or something akin to that, much less ranting about how our D is great when we were manhandled by Miami a couple of weeks ago, were absolutely decimated by the Pats, and haven't had, by sheer chance, had to play any of the top-15 offenses in the league to date, makes no sense whatsoever.

This was one of two very winnable games left on our schedule and one that had we lost would have been an embarassment, even under the circumstances in Detroit, more so had it been at home. But at the same time, clearly there was an emotional edge to help overcome the week in Buffalo due to all the pent up energy that I think ultimately worked in our favor, presumably you would agree.

So again, using that game as anything other than what it was, a huge win over a terribly poor team that's amongst the worst few in the league would be remiss. Especially since I've pointed out that against the Jets, a now 2-9 team that's beaten the Raiders as one of their two wins, we've averaged 40.5 ppg, whereas elsewhere we've averaged 17.4 ppg.

All this nonsense about our D being great hasn't been proven. Why, because we just held the hapless Jets to 3 points? When we were once again embarrassed by the Pats, worse than we were last season? I'm not seeing it. When we play the Pats and teams like them better I might start to get somewhat excited. We're going to find out what happens then and I'll bet you anything that this forum turns on this D and team during that stretch for that very reason.

I don't think that this D is anywhere near as good as we are hearing here. We'll find out though, very soon. If our D is really that great then we should have no trouble at all holding the Packers, Pats, and Broncos to less than their season averages. If that does not happen I think that it's high time for some realizations to start kicking in here. Wouldn't you agree? Or getting back to that perspective thing, would you be satisfied to just have our D be "great" against below average offenses while being below average against above average offenses? Because that won't cut it for me.
    Of course everyone wants this team to be great and dominant like it was in the early 90's. The problem is that teams like that are very few and far between. Setting the bar at 'dominant defense and offense against the best teams in the NFL' is an unrealistic goal. Have there ever been teams that do that? I don't have the stats, but I'm sure if you look at the top offenses and defenses in the NFL this year, there will be games where they have been below average. That's just how the NFL is now.

Everybody on this board understands that we won't be successful unless we can compete with the best the NFL has to offer, and that ultimately starts with the Patriots and winning our division. No, we haven't been close to that in a long time. Unfortunately, we probably won't have a chance at that until Brady retires or Belichick gets caught cheating again. It's disgusting to have to say that, but the same thing can be said for 90% of the NFL.

I think some people confuse optimism for the future with satisfaction with the present. I am willing to bet that the vast majority of this board are not satisfied with anything less than the playoffs. However, some people see optimism for the future and are willing to express that, while others see the same old Bills that show a bit of improvement one season only to regress back the following year. This is what makes talking about the Bills interesting. It's actually why message boards like this exist.

Until we're a top team in the NFL, there are always going to be people critical of every move this team does and people that like every move. Reasonably discussing these moves is the only things us fans can do. Me getting angry about every move I don't agree with doesn't help this team get to the playoffs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    As of last Tuesday... Fletchies favourite website.. Football Outsiders had the Bills defense rated 5th in the NFL.. And after last nights performance the metric numbers FO uses will improve the Bills defensive stats
    Yeah, I can't imagine why. Since apparently you missed it in one of my other high profile posts, here's some info. I'm curious if you don't think that this might impact a stat like that?

Here are the present rankings of the offenses that we've faced so far this season:

Yardage: 7th (L), 16th (W), 17th (sp lit - Miami), 18th (L), 20th (L), 21st (W), 23 rd (L) , 29th ( 2 W's - Jets), 30th (W)

Scoring: 1st (L), 10th (split - Miam i), 13th (L), 15th (L), 16th (L), 20th (W), 27th (W), 28th (W), 30th (2 L's - Jets)

Let me ask, do you really think that that's irrelevant in that ranking? If you do, then we should have no trouble at all stopping GB, Denver, and NE.

Otherwise, we held Chicago to within a point of their season scoring average, SD to their season average, Houston to over their season average, Detroit to 4 points below their season average with all but one of their offensive skill position starters out, who oh by the way posted a career day and the best day of his career, allowed NE 5 points over their season average, and held Minnesota to 2 points below their season average, in Buffalo. The only teams we've held to significantly below their season average are the Jets once, the Fins twice, and the Chiefs with three of those four being home games yesterday's strange but ultimately favorable circumstances aside.

Is that really as impressive as everyone is saying? Most people will ignore that, but it's to their own detriment. That's very relevant information to incorporate into this discussion.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    We swept a division rival too. Pretty fun game to watch. God forbid we enjoy anything.
    I don't believe that I was referring to enjoying the game which I did myself. I specifically, I thought obviously, was referring to this ridiculous overemphasis on our D being great.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kelly2reed4six View Post
    Put your *****ish ways aside for a day and enjoy a great win.
    I enjoyed the game. I'm not going to make a mountain over a win against a team against which it would have been utterly embarrassing to have lost to and a loss that had it occurred would have given cause for the AMA to send a team of doctors over to the forum to begin the intravenous administration of psychotropic anti-depressant drugs.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,391 Times in 7,274 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, I can't imagine why. Since apparently you missed it in one of my other high profile posts, here's some info.

High profile post. That's classic

- - - Updated - - -

I enjoyed the game. I'm not going to make a mountain over a win against a team against which it would have been utterly embarrassing to have lost to and a loss that had it occurred would have given cause for the AMA to send a team of doctors over to the forum to begin the intravenous administration of psychotropic anti-depressant drugs.
    No one else is either. That's why this thread is stupid!

33. Post thanked by:

YardRat (11-25-2014)