View Poll Results: Would you rather have Watkins, or another rookie WR and our 1st and 4th rounders back

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd rather have Watkins

19 47.50%
  • I'd rather have Beckum, Benjamin, or Matthews and our 1st and 4th back

21 52.50%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curiosity Question: Who Supports the Trade Made to Land Watkins

Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Curiosity Question: Who Supports the Trade Made to Land Watkins

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    I pumped Evans all before the draft. I was right again.
    I preferred him to Watkins but he would not have been available. Allen Robinson was my sleeper. Jeff Janis is also intriguing long term

My IQ Test results came back negative BillsOwnAll's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This thread is everything that has gone wrong with BFZ. Arent there already countless threads about this?

Fletch noones gonna agree with you that doesnt already.

Everyone else. Noones gonna get fletch to agree with you.

Agree the disagree, Why have the same argument everydayyyyyyyyyy.

Bills offer so much more to argue about.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsOwnAll View Post
    Bills offer so much more to argue about.
    Come on now, you know that I don't limit myself to this issue. LOL
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

My view on this is that we don't have an experienced OC that knows how to get his best players the ball.

Spiller was a different player under Gailey. And now Watkins and Spiller are both suffering under this OC.

If you put Beckham, Evans or Benjamin in our offense they would do the same or less than what Watkins is doing.

Watkins should be getting 3-4 quick hitter passes per game to just run with but its not even in the game plan for some reason. How many screens does the best QB in the history of the NFL throw to Demarius Thomas? At least 2-3 per game. Watkins has that same ability.

The comparison between these WRs from a talent perspective easily has Watkins at the top in terms of overall ability. Unfortunately he is in a system that is based upon protecting the ball and caution first since our D is so good.

Tampa, NY, Carolina all struggle on D and are playing catch up most of the time so are probably looking for their playmakers from minute 1-60. Add on top of that a better OC and you have better production.

Sammy didn't have a great game though against the Jets besides a couple nice routes.
    Last edited by Mahdi; 11-26-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,943 Times in 3,495 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
    I'd rather have Mike Evans and our 1st next year because he would have been available to the Bills at 9 if they didn't move up to draft Watkins.
    He was chosen 7th. That would make you WRONG.

6. Post thanked by:

better days (11-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,943 Times in 3,495 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Why not Evans at 4th?
    This is proof you are a troll. You post to death about how tragic it is that we traded up and lost our 1st and 4th next year. Now it's fine for a different player? Try to stay consistent please just in case someone out there still takes your spew seriously. Noone knows yet how Watkins are Evans will match up over the long haul or for that matter Watkins vs anyone else. We know we got a good player. Did we overpay? Maybe but it's not the end of the world even if we did. Drafting busts is far worse.

8. Post thanked by:

better days (11-28-2014),Novacane (11-28-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    This is proof you are a troll. You post to death about how tragic it is that we traded up and lost our 1st and 4th next year. Now it's fine for a different player? Try to stay consistent please just in case someone out there still takes your spew seriously. Noone knows yet how Watkins are Evans will match up over the long haul or for that matter Watkins vs anyone else. We know we got a good player. Did we overpay? Maybe but it's not the end of the world even if we did. Drafting busts is far worse.
    OK

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I didn't. But I respect the fact that an organization that has been terrible for the better part of 15 years made a bold move to get better. Plus, what's done is done. While it can be fun to talk about this stuff, talking about it ad nauseam is an exercise in futility. Unless you're a big fan of being able to say, I told you so.
    Resign our own guys!

11. Post thanked by:

better days (11-28-2014),YardRat (11-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The way he played his rookie year, RGIII made the Redskins look like they knew what they were doing when they traded for him.

Now that trade looks STUPID.

Lets wait another 2 years at least before deciding if the trade for Sammy was STUPID or not.

13. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (11-28-2014),Novacane (11-28-2014),YardRat (11-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Watkins will be a good NFL player, but, when I heard the deal, I almost puked. He better be Jerry Rice at that price and he's not. Any of the other 1st round WR + next years 1st > Watkins.

15. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-28-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    Watkins will be a good NFL player, but, when I heard the deal, I almost puked. He better be Jerry Rice at that price and he's not. Any of the other 1st round WR + next years 1st > Watkins.
    Well, I disagree with that.

The first rnd pick next year could be used on a player like Maybin or Whitner

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, I disagree with that.

The first rnd pick next year could be used on a player like Maybin or Whitner
    Not if the Bills have a good GM. (which I don't think they have)

18. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-28-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    Not if the Bills have a good GM. (which I don't think they have)
    OK, so you don't think any other WR & next years 1st rnd pick is worth more than Sammy after all.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

this is one of those too early to tell questions but right now i would choose no bc we dont know where the qb spot is gonna end up. hes special and probably the best wr of the draft but in what was a very deep top end wr draft year they shoulda saved the big pick as ej insurance and if they felt they didnt need that to try to get another stud players elsewhere on the roster

the other factor is that i really like the guy so its easy to root for him. in fact theres a bunch of guys like that, woods, chandler, boobs, a.williams, guys that are just cool, real, and nice. way too often we see the lower element of blackness represented in football. seattle players saying wilson 'isnt black enough' to me now sounds like theyre saying hes not enough of a big selfish macho racist douchebag. ive never put a huge emphasis on character for my football players but it sure is nice to feel like you could enjoy time in either a stripclub or a church with the guys
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

21. Post thanked by:

better days (11-28-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Watkins has been very good for us. We're sitting at 6-5, the rookie wideouts have played 11 games or less total in their careers! Way too early for this conversation. We're still in the playoff race, and we should not care what other rookie WRs are doing. We picked Sammy and he's been more than fine. This can only be brought up so many times before it gets annoying.

For what it's worth though I'd bet every dollar I have that if Mike Evans, Odell Beckum, or Kelvin Benjamin were drafted by the Bills their stats or play would not be as high as Sammys is. Not with our QB, or our OC. Also surprisingly no one has mentioned that Evans and Benjamin belong to the NFC South. Worse division in the league with some of the worst defenses in the league. I wish the Bills were in that division.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

* Beckham^

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    Watkins has been very good for us. We're sitting at 6-5, the rookie wideouts have played 11 games or less total in their careers! Way too early for this conversation. We're still in the playoff race, and we should not care what other rookie WRs are doing. We picked Sammy and he's been more than fine. This can only be brought up so many times before it gets annoying.

For what it's worth though I'd bet every dollar I have that if Mike Evans, Odell Beckum, or Kelvin Benjamin were drafted by the Bills their stats or play would not be as high as Sammys is. Not with our QB, or our OC. Also surprisingly no one has mentioned that Evans and Benjamin belong to the NFC South. Worse division in the league with some of the worst defenses in the league. I wish the Bills were in that division.
    I hear ya but there's not much basis to that. Frankly, there's not a team in the NFCS that's as bad as the Jets. Other than NE the rest of our division isn't much different.

But where I question what you said is that Evans' and Benjamins's situations aren't much different than Watkins. Newton's having an awful season, the whole league's media is all over him. And the Bucs, both them and Carolina have just about as many passing yards as us and the Bucs have the same # of TDs and Carolina one less. We've thrown fewer INTs too. So to suggest that somehow Benjamin or Evans has a better situation, I don't see how.

You say that Sammy's been fine, but he's had 7 of 11 games of 35 yards or less and hasn't been a factor in any of those games. The only one of those 7 games he even had a TD in we lost. As I've pointed out before, Evans' worst game is better than all 7 of those games by Sammy. Some here suggest that Sammy's real value is in being decoy. I mean really. Evans' three best games beat Sammy's three best too. Benjamin's 2nd worst game is better than those 7 of Sammy's. He's had Glennon and McCown throwing, neither is better than Orton and I'm not even sure that McCown is much better than Manuel. Either way, the QB situations are about the same and Tampa's RB situation is much worse. So I think there's no basis to the notion that Evans wouldn't be at least that good here.

As to Benjamin, same thing, Carolina has worse RBs, and Newton's season is no better than our QBs or Tampas.

Carolina: 2,816 yards, 16 TDs
    Tampa: 2,767 yards, 17 TDs
    Buffalo: 2,648 yards, 17 TDs
    Last edited by Fletch; 11-28-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    He was chosen 7th. That would make you WRONG.
    My god. People can't be this dumb. If The Bills didn't move up. Tampa would have taken Watkins at 7. No other team needed a WR.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
    My god. People can't be this dumb. If The Bills didn't move up. Tampa would have taken Watkins at 7. No other team needed a WR.
    Well, we don't know that. How do we know that they didn't like Evans better.

But so what, then we take Evans and have our picks back.

I really don't see how anyone thinks that Watkins has outperformed Evans or Benjamin. His stats aren't better, fewer TDs, their QB situations are almost identical as I've shown. But to me the fact that Watkins in 7 of 11 games hasn't done anything even worthy of mention says it all.

So far the guy's been more hype than what people said about him in the draft.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think, unfortunately, the narrative has been written in (many) Bills fans heads that we gave up too much and the season is over.

Whaley made the move to get the Bills into the playoffs.

At this point in the season, the Bills have 6 wins faster than just about any team we've fielded for the past 15 years. Hell, if we beat the Browns on Sunday, this Bills team will be the best Bills team in 6 years--with 4 games left! Beat the Raiders after that and find a way to steal just ONE more game, and this is pretty much the best Bills team in 15 years. Yes, I agree that that is overwhelmingly pathetic, but the fact remains: Whaley got Watkins to get the Bills over the hump, and so far, it looks like he's done just that.

Plus--for the first time ever, we have an owner who may be willing to spend, AND kiko comes back next year. A major FA signing and the return of Kiko is better than any first rounder we've taken in the last 15 years.

I also think one thing that fans fail to grasp (and this doesn't surprise me, because according to the majority of our fans, we're "mathematically eliminated' from the playoffs)--great teams don't draft in the top 10 year after year. If the Pats or the Broncos gave up a first round pick for an elite receiver, their fans would not be having these kind of debates, because they would hope that pick would be low enough to not cost them much. That is where we are at.

It's unfair to post receiving statistics--post wins up there.

The Giants, the Bucs and the Panthers are god awful, and we are 6-5 and a game back from the playoffs.