Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broke and broken

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Broke and broken

ORLANDO, Fla. – Those closest to Darryl Talley are terrified. His wife, daughters and former teammates openly cry for him. They lament what has befallen him. They dread what his future might hold. ¶ Talley’s life is in tatters. Loved ones say his mind is deteriorating. He’s begrudgingly starting to agree. ¶ He’s 54, but his body is a wreck and continues to crumble. He suspects collisions from playing linebacker for 14 NFL seasons, a dozen with the Buffalo Bills, have damaged his brain. He’s often depressed beyond the point of tears. ¶ He’s bitter at the National Football League for discarding him and denying that he’s too disabled to work anymore. He says the Bills have jilted him, too. ¶ He learned after he retired that he’d played with a broken neck. ¶ He had a heart attack in his 40s. ¶ He lost his business. The bank foreclosed on the Talleys’ home of 17 years. Against her husband’s pride, Janine Talley has accepted money from friends to pay the bills. ¶ He contemplates killing himself.

“I’ve thought about it,” Darryl Talley flatly said last month on the patio of the house he and Janine rent. “When you go through the s--- that I’ve gone through, you start to wonder: Is this really worth it? Is it worth being here, worth being tortured anymore?

“It would be just as easy to call it a day. But there are two reasons why I won’t. First of all, my parents didn’t raise a coward. The most important is I want to be around for my grandkids.”

Bruce Smith is among those most frightened for Talley.

Although they thrived alongside each other during the franchise’s glory days and consider themselves brothers forever, Smith isn’t willing to trust Talley’s rationalizations.

“A moment of weakness, a moment of darkness, a moment of hopelessness,” Smith said from his home in Virginia. “Those are pretty powerful things that can come into play that makes one forget about how we were raised or what state we would leave the rest of the family and friends in.”

Talley, like Smith and the rest of their mates from the Super Bowl era, maintain a mythological presence with Bills fans. They’re like superheroes leaping off the pages of a Marvel comic book. One of Talley’s trademarks was the Spider-Man ski suit he wore under his uniform.

Buffalo’s football legends, however, are not indestructible cartoon characters. They are mortals, as we’ve been reminded through Jim Kelly’s cancer ordeal or 50-year-old Kent Hull’s death from liver failure in 2011.

Talley is the first Bill from the Super Bowl years to disclose ominous mental, physical and financial difficulties seemingly rooted in playing football.

“I never thought this would be our life, but this is the reality of it,” Janine Talley said. She met Darryl at West Virginia University; they’ve been together 34 years. “I don’t see it getting any better. This’ll kill him one way or the other.

“His mental issues have accelerated a lot in the last year. I don’t know what the future holds for either one of us. I don’t know if in a few years dementia will set in. I don’t know if I’ll be able to care for him.”

Gabrielle Talley, the younger of their two daughters, said through tears, “Hope is not in abundance right now.”
    http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bi...697CE578947DBA
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,894 Times in 4,354 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Broke and broken

he should sue.
    It's someone else's fault.
    Last edited by TacklingDummy; 11-26-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,287 Times in 13,720 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That's horrible.

It's coming out now that the frequent head trauma caused by playing in the NFL often leads to depression later in life (meaning 40's and 50s.... not what most of us would consider "late" in 21st century America). A few months back, Opie and Anthony (yes, it was still Anthony at the time) were talking about what a mess Tony Dorsett is. He has frequent mood swings and bouts of depression, apparently very similar to Talley's symptoms.

The NFL has too much money and too much medical knowledge to allow this to keep happening.

4. Post thanked by:

BuffaloRedleg (11-28-2014),ckg927 (11-28-2014),coastal (11-26-2014),Dr. Lecter (11-26-2014),Ingtar33 (11-28-2014),jlgarsh (12-01-2014),Mace (11-28-2014),OLDSRIP (11-28-2014),pmoon6 (11-27-2014),ublinkwescore (11-27-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Robt. Smith figured it out...folks were shocked when he hung up the cleats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...an_football%29
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

6. Post thanked by:

Meathead (11-27-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Man, just horrible news.
    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

8. Post thanked by:

Patti120 (11-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,521 Times in 17,414 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

****in-A, that just sucks...my favorite Bill of all time.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

10. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-27-2014),Mace (11-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,287 Times in 13,720 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    he should sue.
    It's someone else's fault.
    If the team knew he had a broken neck but didn't tell him and let him play, yeah, it is someone else's fault.

Everyone knows there is an element of risk in sports like football, but it's reasonable to assume that the teams and the league are going to protect their athletes and give them all the available medical information, in terms of both their specific conditions and available treatment options.

It sounds like that didn't happen in this case.

12. Post thanked by:

coastal (11-26-2014),Dr. Lecter (11-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Don't respond to TacklingTroll please.

Maybe we can have an adult conversation that way

14. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (11-27-2014),TacklingDummy (11-27-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sad. Just this year he was still bleeding the BILLS through and through getting into it with Donte Whitner regarding the BILLS.

Sad that all his Rich ex teamates cant throw him a bone finanically if they havent done so already. If Talley is not on the WALL of Fame he should go on there ASAP. What a warrior who loved his BILLS. Sick to my stomach right now.

16. Post thanked by:

better days (11-27-2014),Fletch (11-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    ****in-A, that just sucks...my favorite Bill of all time.
    Mine too and very difficult to read that.

my nickname for him is "meat and potatoes".
    Last edited by coastal; 11-26-2014 at 10:35 PM.

18. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-27-2014),YardRat (11-27-2014)

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

heartbreaking article
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

20. Post thanked by:

Novacane (11-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That was just sad. The spiderman was one of my favorites as a kid and a true warrior. I hope he gets the help he needs and that NFL bucks up to compensate him.

22. Post thanked by:

better days (11-27-2014),jlgarsh (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post

He was referring to player's, as well as people in the United States in general, blaming others for poor personal decisions.

While none of us can deny Talley's commitment to team during and after his playing years, we cannot comment on his financial failures. How anyone can make that kind of money and end up having his home foreclosed on is mind-numbing. Yes, the NFL could steer these guys to better financial advice. So even in TD's sarcasm, there is some truth. But how Talley could squander all that money makes me care very little about the whole thing. His own personal boom to bust. People treat those guys like they brought Buffalo 4 Super Bowls. They were a collection of coke heads and whore mongers. LT still laughs about it.

24. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (11-27-2014)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

boxing and football, two sports ive been saying for decades are gonna be gone pretty soon

im surprised boxing isnt gone already, they basically just pound on each other until brain trauma forces you to the ground. reminds me of the flintstones when friday night fights promotes itself by using bigger and bigger clubs

the nfl is finally trying to make the game safer but theres only so much you can do to protect guys who slam into each other with maximum force forty times a game. enjoy it while its here cuz its gonna be a relic one of these days
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

26. Post thanked by:

coastal (11-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It breaks my heart to hear of anyone going through this, especially on of my favorite Bills. This seems to be common amongst football players. But, this is the life that they chose. 14 years in a violent sport is going to take a toll.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    That's horrible.

It's coming out now that the frequent head trauma caused by playing in the NFL often leads to depression later in life (meaning 40's and 50s.... not what most of us would consider "late" in 21st century America). A few months back, Opie and Anthony (yes, it was still Anthony at the time) were talking about what a mess Tony Dorsett is. He has frequent mood swings and bouts of depression, apparently very similar to Talley's symptoms.

The NFL has too much money and too much medical knowledge to allow this to keep happening.

I'm not so sure about that. It's a violent sport. If there were equipment that could eliminate head trauma they'd be using it. They don't want to be sued

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

After some thought... even more proof in Talley's toughness. Here's hoping this story takes off on a national level and Talley can become a living spokesmen for this problem... and not just another guy who blows his head off.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Brings Thanksgiving into perspective.

31. Post thanked by:

imbondz (11-27-2014),Mace (11-28-2014),YardRat (11-27-2014)

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,894 Times in 4,354 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Talley receives a pension from the NFL of around $5082 per month. I do not feel sorry for him that he's "broke".
    No one to blame for his poor financial decision but himself.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This goes way beyond his financial decisions. This goes into having any quality of life.

This gets into the medical costs associated with his condition. (which very well could be devastating by themselves) This goes into CTE which: “is associated with memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse-control problems, aggression, depression and eventually progressive dementia.”

But throw out a cliche instead of thinking a little more deeply about something.

It's easier that way.

And that does not even get into the way the NFL makes billions off these guys while their bodies are left in tatters.

This is not just about him suing somebody because it's somebody else's fault.

Swiper and TD should try to take more than a cursory glance at this

34. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (12-01-2014),OpIv37 (11-27-2014)